DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   EF Lens adapter / EF Lenses / EOS Lens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/158-ef-lens-adapter-ef-lenses-eos-lens.html)

Virginia Benedict September 24th, 2003 05:58 AM

No apologies required... Thanks for sharing, Gareth.

VB

Jeffrey A. Dear September 26th, 2003 05:12 AM

EF Lens Adapter...new focal length

I'm considering purchasing the EF Lens adapter, along with the EF 17-40 mm f/4L USM lens (ultra-wide zoom). I understand that the focal length will increase 7.2X. Won't that affect the degree of wide angle at the most open position, originally 104 degrees, decreasing the width of view?

Thanks,

Jeffrey

Steve Nunez September 26th, 2003 08:11 AM

you're definitely not gonna be able to shoot wide- but I did get really nice results with a 50 mm- ...the EF adapter and a decent EOS lens makes for absolutely sharp video- you're in for a treat!

Jeffrey A. Dear September 26th, 2003 04:11 PM

Widest angle recommendation...3X?

What is the widest angle lens possible with the XL1s, the 3x wide angle video lens?

Jeffrey

Adrian Douglas September 26th, 2003 10:51 PM

The 3x lens is the widest lens available. If you want wider you can go with a fisheye or a Century Opticswide angle adapter.

Don Palomaki September 27th, 2003 06:11 AM

Keep in mind that the 7.2x focal length change is an approximation based on relative field of view. Just as the 5.5 mm wide position of the standard lens roughly corresponds to a ~40 mm lens on a 35 mm still camera - the 7.2 factor.

When you move the 35 mm still lens to the XL1 you are using the lens on a much smaller image sensor (nominal 1/3" CCD rather than a ~1"x1.5"" frame of film, thus the apparent telephoto (smaller field of view) effect.

Jeffrey A. Dear September 27th, 2003 12:05 PM

Thanks for feedback...

Thanks for the great feedback. For now, I'll try the 3x wide angle.

Jeremy Monroe October 4th, 2003 03:54 PM

EOS lenses: conversion factor for close focusing distance?

Hi there-

I understand that using eos lenses on the XL1s multiplies the focal length by a factor of 7.2. I'm shopping EOS lenses and I'm wondering if there's a conversion factor (or a guesstimation method) for the closest focusing distance of an EOS lens. I'd also be interested to hear how well focus can be judged through the standard viewfinder. Thanks for your time!

Jeremy

Jeff Donald October 4th, 2003 04:02 PM

Minimum focus distance will stay the same. Judging focus is difficult for most people using the standard color view finder. Practice with standard view finder helps, but many users switch to a supplementary LCD or CRT monitor to help judge focus.

Don Palomaki October 5th, 2003 08:02 AM

A minor point: the focal length remains the same, but because the CCD is much smaller than a 35mm film frame, the effect on the field of view is as if the focal length was 7.2x longer.

For close focusing (closer than the standard lens) consider a diopter adapter. High quality models avalable from Canon and Century, low cost "close-up" adapters offered by several filter makers.

Jeremy Monroe October 6th, 2003 01:17 PM

Thanks for the help!

Patrick Falls December 23rd, 2003 10:07 AM

XL EF Adaptor vs. mini35

are the results and science of theXL EF adaptor combined with 35mm canon
still lens the same as using the mini35 or the augus35 that is now currently in production on this forum

if not, what are the differences?

thanks in advance.

Rob Lohman December 23rd, 2003 10:14 AM

No it is not. The difference is, is that the Canon EF adaptor
increases the focal length of the lens 7.2 times (so the lens
"zooms" in much more and is 7.2 times less wide). Because of
this you are also loosing the DOF (Depth Of Field) characterics
of the 35mm lens.

The mini35 (and Agus35) use a glass inbetween the lens and
the camera to capture the full frame and keep the DOF the same.

Patrick Falls December 23rd, 2003 07:02 PM

cool

thanks for clearing that up for me Mr. Lohman. i guess i'll be waiting for a commercial version of the Agus35, i can't wait until someone has a good working model that can be used on the xl1.

Rob Lohman December 24th, 2003 12:19 PM

Ofcourse there is a commercial version already available: the
mini35. If you want to buy it, it will cost you around $8000
excluding lens(es). Ofcourse it is available in a lot of countries
as a rental unit as well.

Keep in mind that the mini35 or any other unit that will let you
use 35mm lensen will require a very good knowledge of your
camera, shooting experience and knowledge / experience with
35mm lenses. It is much more difficult then a DV lens!!