DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   XL1 / XL1S various posts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/160-xl1-xl1s-various-posts.html)

Vic Owen March 28th, 2002 10:12 PM

As mentioned in the previous post, as long as you back up into the recorded footage, there is no need. I believe that new code is laid down during each recording, so the only outcome is twice the wear on your heads, plus the extra time involved.

John Locke March 28th, 2002 10:46 PM

Hi David,

There's a thread on that same subject in the "Mac" forum now. Check it out.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1347

B. Moore March 29th, 2002 12:13 AM

Dave,
I use a an Electro Voice RE50B and a long extention, works great.

Bruce

Aaron Frick March 29th, 2002 09:27 AM

ZGC

Try contacting ZGC inc at www.zgc.com. Seeing that they sell the fujinon lenses and are a great company, they should at leat be able to point you in the right direction.

Andrew Hogan March 30th, 2002 06:39 PM

Frame mode recoding in VCR dial position

Hi all,

hope this is not a dumb question.

I shoot video mostly in Frame mode. Firewire to FCP to edit and then firewire back to my XL1s for backups and transfers to VHS tapes too.

Question is: When recording back into the camera from the Mac do you need to be in Frame mode again? or is the footage automatically always frame mode that its been shot in Frame mode? or does the camera in VCR setting convert the footage back to interlaced 50 fields. (I have PAL) or does the XL1s need to be in frame mode or does frame mode not apply to VCR dial position.

Can anyone understand what I'm trying to say?

many thanks

Chris Hurd March 30th, 2002 08:15 PM

Howdy from Texas,

There are no dumb questions here. The only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked.

The short answer is that Frame Movie mode does not apply to the VCR position. Once you've shot in Frame Movie mode, it's always like that, even back and forth from computer to camera.

When Frame Movie mode is initially recorded to tape during your shoot, it's broken actually down into interlace. It *looks* like 25p but it's actually 50i (otherwise you couldn't play it back on a standard PAL TV).

So no worries, and ask anything you want around here.

I've got a good friend in Canberra -- a pro videographer name of Paul Hackett -- I need to see if he's coming up stateside for NAB.

Oils in the U.S. as we speak!!

G'day,

Andrew Hogan April 2nd, 2002 07:32 PM

Thanks Chris,

I've learnt so much from this community and the Watchdog. I read it most days, its great!

cheers

John Threat April 3rd, 2002 07:49 PM

Canon System Hard Case

Does anyone have this Case? I purchased it instore from B&H Photo for about $400 after taxes. I have to say that this case is very attractive on the outside and it seems rugged enough to withstand travel however inside of the case it is setup more to carry action figures and dollies rather than an expensive DV camera.

Canon made this case and I thought it would be a perfect fit, but this case needs some foam. I wouldnt suggest carrying the camera anywhere heavy duty or on the plane.

Has anyone come up with some solutions to secure the camera rathe than the foam cardboard cutout with velcro straps that are supplied?

Chris Hurd April 4th, 2002 08:41 AM

This may not be what you want to hear, but you could always put that case on Ebay, and then get a really good custom XL1 hardshell case from CasesPlus (articles on the Watchdog).

tbannett April 4th, 2002 01:31 PM

Webcasting with XL1S

Hello,

We are going to Webcast a conference and we're using our XL1S with our Webcasting software. The video is just going to be passed through the camera to the computer. Can we use the firewire cable to do this? I know that video can be passed through to a monitor via RCA and S-Video, can the same thing happen via Firewire??

If not will we have to get a analog video capture card and pass the video through that way?

Thanks!

-Tracy

tbannett April 4th, 2002 03:48 PM

Hi, I'm answering my own question. YES YOU CAN!! We got it to work and it looks great! If anyone is interested, we are going to be Webcasting Lance Armstrong in Austin next week using our Canon XL1S: http://www.oncolink.com/templates/conferences/article.cfm?c=2&s=9&ss=35&id=527

Bye,
Tracy

Bryan Johannes Onel April 5th, 2002 05:10 PM

xl1 viewfinder markings

hi there xl1 users,
i am a designer, and i design several things, i have been busy designing a steadicam wich i am pretty far with building.
but now in the meanwhile im thinking of producing several plates wich you could place in your viewfinder, it would contain composition markings. and i would like to know how many of you people would be interested, it would cost about 35 dollar for a plate and the markings will be very precise and clear to see, i will design several types of plates with different markings, and ofcourse it would contain a kit for mounting it, and they are also interchangable.
there are a couple of things i would like to know :
1. how many of you would be interested in buying such a plate?
2. what kind of markings would you like to see on these plates? and do you want numbers with the markings (for examlpe small text that says its 1.78:1 aka 16:9), i can add any marking you would like, 1.85:1, 2.35:1 its also possible for me to procue plates with several markings on it.
3. its also possible to black out the part outside the marking, so if you have a 4:3 cam it would look like real 16:9 in your finder because everyting outside the 16:9 part is black. so theres a choice between transparent and black.

please let me know.

thank you in advance.

Rick Banfield April 7th, 2002 11:10 AM

Stills

I am unable to get the stills off my footage easilywith Final Cut Pro 3. Should I be able to use this, or do I need another program?
Rick Banfield

Ken Tanaka April 7th, 2002 01:06 PM

Hmmm...the "stills" should come off as 6 sec of footage, which is how they're actually recorded to the tape. That is, you should be able to log and capture these segments just as you would the motion segments of the tape.

John Fitzpatrick April 7th, 2002 02:36 PM

VeriZoom MediaPro

Well, I took the plunge. Should be here Wednesday. Already wondering if there is a place to drill holes in it to mount gadgets. Been trying to find a good place for my Studio 1 XLR audio adapter for the past year.

Fitz