DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   How To Shoot At Night ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/16138-how-shoot-night.html)

Sunarto Sosrosaputro October 23rd, 2003 03:23 AM

How To Shot At Night ?

How to Shot at night ???
I used Canon XL1S, but there are grain in my video.

thanks
Sunarto

Adrian Douglas October 23rd, 2003 10:05 AM

The best way to get good shots at night is to add light but this isn't always possible and it can go from a simple on camera light to complex multiple light set-ups. If you could give us a little more information on what you are shooting then we could probably offer more information.

Alex Dunn October 23rd, 2003 11:42 AM

Put simply, the grain is caused by the Gain level being greater than zero. Adding light should be a given, but you also need to switch the cam to manual and turn off the Gain if you want to remove the grain (also known as "video noise").

Turn off the Gain, if you want to remove the grain. I think I may have a song or something there.

Sunarto Sosrosaputro October 23rd, 2003 09:05 PM

Candle Light

I want to shoot candle light, so i can't add light. I want to take romantic scene.

Adrian Douglas October 23rd, 2003 09:57 PM

Lighting a scene to look dark is one of the fine arts of lighting. Bounce and diffusion are the keys as well as carefully placed lights in your scene tht will add illumination but not obvious light. Chinese lanterns are great for this.

As Alex mentioned the gain is what's adding the noise in your shot. Anything over +6db and you'll start to notice the noise.

Rick Bravo October 24th, 2003 11:57 PM

All of the above!

Unfortunatley, the XL-1 and XL-1S are light hogs. They cut a gorgeous picture in broad daylight but run for cover as the light goes down.

The chinese lantern is a wonderful light source. It is soft and not "sourcey". You can also add a subtle flickering to bring out your candlelight effect. A very inexpensive way to do this is with what is commonly referred to as an "emergency blanket". You would use the blanket as a reflector.

The emergency blanket can be purchased for about $5.00 at any number of stores that specialize in camping or outdoor sporting equipment. It is a shiny, copper color on one side and silver on the other.

When you combine these element with well placed "practicals" within your scene, as Adrian suggested, they should give you the desired effect you are looking for without having to resort to too much gain.

Remember that the best lighting is the lighting that is not obvious.

Markus Aalto October 25th, 2003 01:47 AM

And one more thing: the automatic exposure can not deal with darkness, but tries to make it lighter than it should be. That's why you'll have to correct the exposure manually (to minus side) or try using the spotlight automatic exposure setting.

Adrian Douglas October 25th, 2003 10:43 AM

Yeah, for difficult lighting conditions stay right away from auto modes. Shoot from a tripod as much as possible, drop your shutter speed down to 1/30 (NTSC), 1/25 (PAL) and open the iris (f stop) wide. In auto modes the camera will set the gain to max, you will have no control and a lot of video noise.

Bryan Mitchell October 27th, 2003 12:55 AM

I use a flashlight :-p

Nathan Gifford October 28th, 2003 11:10 AM

You will need to experiment some to get the setting right. The idea usually is that you want the scene to look like it was shot at night.

The cam's EVF is not very good for making these judgements. An external monitor is far better.

Anyway, I took some shots with my XL-1 (not the S) in wine cellar. The EVF kept telling me it was a little dark. When I put my video on the monitor later it looked lots better and even had that romatic look about it (leaking light from the hallways).

Greg Boston November 9th, 2003 07:24 PM

XL-1 and low light

Nathan,

I just recently had the same experience with my XL-1. I was filming at a party(using full manual) and the meter said low light. The image in the viewfinder even looked so dark that I thought the video would be useless. I didn't have the option to light up the scene so needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised when playing back on a monitor and finding a fairly decent image for the amount of light I was working with (or without). I also kept my gain at 0 to keep noise out of the image.

regards,

G. Boston
Canon XL-1 and Pana PV-DV953

Teague Chrystie November 10th, 2003 10:56 AM

Or, if you have the background in visual effects that I do, you can film at day and give it a Day-to-Night correction.

Fig

Bryan Mitchell November 10th, 2003 12:30 PM

Yeah. I'm very interested in seing the results of changing the time in post (with basic tools: afterfx, premiere, others). I herd that the fast food scene in American Beauty was changed from night to day, and I never noticed anything wierd looking, so It would be interesting to see some results in post (I'm sure there are alot, but I dont know of any).

Patrick Falls January 15th, 2004 08:19 AM

interesting

teague i'm interested in a little tutorial for your day for night.