DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   XL1/s Extreme Shooting Conditions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/16875-xl1-s-extreme-shooting-conditions.html)

Gareth Trezise November 9th, 2003 02:55 PM

XL1/s Extreme Shooting Conditions

If anyone has used their XL1/s in the Amazon how well did it cope with the conditions?

Thanks

Gareth

Jeff Donald November 13th, 2003 11:34 AM

Bump

Stephen Shearman November 14th, 2003 05:58 AM

Hope this is not too off the beaten path from your original query. And I hope I'm not teaching granny to suck eggs...

I think that probably the Canon will respond similarly to the PD150. We took a PD150 out to Papua New Guinea for two months filming in the swamps, volcanoes, mountains and virgin rain forests 2 years ago. The camera and stock handled absolutly brialliantly (better than the digi-beta body we took out). But it all needs careful attention.

The two main factors are humidity and rain. Then factor in bugs of every size, thick red mud up to your thighs and having to walk across slippy-as-ice fallen tree bridges over 20 foot gullys, wading up to your waist in rocky rivers and everything else the jungle can throw at you, it is an extreme condition for cameras.

When you're transporting your camera: keep the camera bag and camera in a 'Seal' bag. This bag will keep everything dry while you're transporting it and should your 1 foot wide dugout topple over then it might survive the dunking. That's the secret. Evrything has to stay dry. I know it seems obvious but until you have filmed in a rain forest it is easy to underestimate how hard this is.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/sealline/

Get another one for your stock and a little one for your passport airline tickets etc. Also I would recommend A rain cover for your camera. I recommend taking half an hour everyday with a lint-free cloth just to give the camera a once over and make sure especially around the lens adaptor rings that there is no dirt or moisture there. It might be worth taking a little PC100 or similar for back up. Imagine being 16 hours from anywhere with a ruined camera and nothing to film all that beauty on. Lastly, check your tapes for ants (and other nasties!) before putting them in your camera (beleive me this happened!).

Good luck! I'm sure you'll have an absolutely fantstic time.

What/who are you filming for?

Steve

Gareth Trezise November 14th, 2003 03:43 PM

Thank you Stephen.

The sort of information I was expecting really. I had seen older threads about different locations. Interesting thought about checking your tapes for ants etc.

I normally transport my camera in a tamrac bag and other lenses etc in a lowepro bag. I'm beginning to think maybe a case that is water and air tight might be more appropriate for the location. I've heard fungus could also be another problem.

I'm am thinking ahead. The trip is a year off yet and I wouldn't be filming for anyone specifically. Not at the moment anyway.

Two cameras is a good idea. I took two back in April when I went to Kenya and the spare came in handy the second day. Not for me but for another on the same trip who got a tape jammed in his camera and it wasn't going to come out!

Anyway, this time next year it could be an XL2 I'm taking which might be even a different format. So could be a first!

Thanks for the info.

Gareth

PS. Out of shear curiosity are you Stephen Shearman from Grounded TV?

Bob Safay November 15th, 2003 05:36 AM

Gareth, I sent you a response on another thread. I have had the Canon in the Amazon, I have had in it Patagonia and Tierra del Fuago, I have had it in -12 degrees in the Rockies and all over the Deep South. It has never failed me. I use only Fuji tapes and never had it jam. I keep it clean, a check-up every year and always ready to use. Oh yes, see some of my comments on traveling with it. Where are you going in the Amazon? Oh, most inportant. I always take a set of voltage adapters and a couple of really cheap electrical appliances like a small hair drier (for my wife). I use these to "test" the current. I was in Nirobi and blew out her hair drier in one of the best hotels in the city. Hey, better that than my charger. Which by the way, I always carry a spare when traveling overseas. Bob

Gareth Trezise November 16th, 2003 02:08 PM

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the usefull comments. Pleased to hear it stands up well to the tough conditions, very encouraging, and yes I did see your reply on the other post. Thanks.

Gareth

Stephen Shearman November 17th, 2003 06:27 AM

Hi Gareth

Yes! Were you on Hairdressers ?

I'm in town - we should meet up.

Am also smacking my lips at prospect of XL2 - glad to hear another brit in praise of Canon... too many PD150 slaves out there...

Steve

Gareth Trezise November 17th, 2003 07:34 AM

Hi Stephen,

What a guess but no I haven't been on hairdressers. Wouldn't take them two minutes to cut my hair!

Nevertheless , never no problem meeting people. Send us an email.

Best Wishes

Gareth

Bob Safay November 22nd, 2003 07:46 AM

Gareth, where on the Amazon are you going? I also suggest you invest in a cloth eye peice because you will sweat a lot into the viewfinder.

Gareth Trezise November 22nd, 2003 09:31 AM

Bob,

I use Chamois Eyepiece Covers from Optex. Itinerary far from finalised yet. I'll post when I've got all details.

Gareth

Bob Safay November 22nd, 2003 04:42 PM

Do NOT forget malaria pills. They are specific for which part of the river you are traveling. You must start the pills two - three weeks prior to going down. Have a great adventure. Bob