DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Canon XL1 & XL1S Batteries / Battery Options (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/1702-canon-xl1-xl1s-batteries-battery-options.html)

Alex Dolgin May 13th, 2002 12:20 PM

Keep in mind that while using some of the external 7.2V converters you would loose the benefit of the VF "fuel gauge". The camera thinks that it is powered by the external AC power supply/charger and disables the icon.
Alex Dolgin
Dolgin Engineering
http://www.dolgin.net

Ford Minton May 14th, 2002 02:41 PM

I cannot afford Anton Bauer batts on my best day. So I got in touch with Doug at Long Valley Equipment about his DeWalt battery rigs. He is working on a set-up for the XL1 for me. I am really stoked as his adapters are pretty bomb-proof and totally affordable compared to A.B. offerings. They are also 12v so you can run OCL's or a TFT off of them as well! Will let you know how his solution works out.

Ford Minton May 16th, 2002 04:55 PM

I use an NRG belt and recommend them (and I have put mine through hell). The belt I use has a set-up where the battery itself actually velcro's to the belt and then XLR's into a connector box. That way you can swap batteries off and on the belt so you don't have to deal with disconnecting the belt from accessories and the camera. I dunno if other manufacturers' belts offer this but it is a nice feature that comes in handy all the time. they also have a "fuel gauge" so you have some idea of where you stand battery-life wise.

Steve Kim June 20th, 2002 01:07 PM

Backup battery burned out 4 times within 4 months

I purchased XL1s PAL through ZGC in February, 2002.
A tiny little backup battery was burned out within a week.
I'd replaced them 3 times already.
When I don't use the cam, I turned it off and a fully charged BP-945 battery was in the cam.
Chris (ZGC) is looking for Cannon contact.
Has anyone have this experience?

Steve Kim June 20th, 2002 01:16 PM

I am sending it to Cannon Factory Service in NJ

I got a Cannon contact from Chris (ZGC).
I am sending my cam to Cannon Factory Service in NJ.
I hope they can fix it.

Chris Hurd June 20th, 2002 01:19 PM

Sounds like a short somewhere. Keep us advised as to what happens with your camera.

B. Moore June 21st, 2002 03:41 PM

Canon says don't leave a battery on the camera when your not using it. The battery will trickle discharge. If you try to open the tape transport, with the battery on the camera, with the camera in the "off" position, the door will open and the tape transport will come out. This tells or proves to you that the battery is always "on" and ready. Now take the battery off the camera and try the same thing. Result: the door opens but the tape transport will not pop out. If you leave the batt on the camera for a week, it's been "everyready" waiting for you to put in a tape and therefor has been discharging 24/7.

That's one possibility.....
The other possibility is you have an xl-1s with a problem.

Rob Lohman June 24th, 2002 01:59 AM

Are you talking about the MAIN battery now or about the BACKUP
(the little on) battery? I'm assuming that since your tape door
opens when you leave your battery on the camera you are
talking about the MAIN battery? Steve, I think, was talking about
that little backup battery that makes sure your time and other
settings are remembered.

Steve Kim June 28th, 2002 10:31 AM

Bad service from Canon XL1S repair in Jamesburg, NJ

Saga contiunes...

XL1S repair in NJ received my XL1S PAL in Tuesday morning according to FedEx tracking. I have not received any response from them and called them today (Friday 6/28/02).
They said that according to their testing, there is no problem in the cam and they shipped it back to me. I was upset that they didn't even call me to explain how they tested and ask me more about the problem.

My problem (as you may already read about):
I bought my XL1S PAL from Canon UK through ZGC in February, 2002. The original battery burned out within a few days and I called ZGC. They cannot explain why it happened. And I thought I just had a bad battery from Canon and replaced it with the one by RadioShack and things worked fine for 2 months.

In May, 2002, I found the backup battery burned out again, put a new one and it was burned out 10 days later and I replace it again. Same thing happened a week later.

I sent the cam to Canon XL1 Repair, Jamesburg, NJ a week ago.
The Canon repairman was not able to find the problem and concluded there is not problem in my cam and returned it to me.

I should have asked them to keep the cam with a new backup battery at least 2 weeks to find how the backup battery is drained so quickly. Canon rep said they usually don't keep the cam for repair that long period time. According to my experience with the problem, they cannot regenerate the problem unless they keep it as least 2 weeks during the battery drain.

Canon rep. suggested me to return my cam to Canon Repair and let the head technician take care of this problem. I will do that.

I am not sure what to do if they cannot fix the problem again.
Any advice?

PS: I apprecite Chris at ZGC for the help.

Chris Hurd June 28th, 2002 12:26 PM

Chris at ZGC is indeed awesome.

Was Canon Service in Irvine aware that this was a PAL unit? I think you should take them up on their offer to send it back in. The head tech is (I think) Jerry Sullivan. I'm not sure but I thought all PAL units go to the UK for service issues.

I'm willing to bet the problems lies in some form of incompatibility between the Panasonic CR2025 back-up battery and the PAL version of the XL1. It may require some other battery type? Send it back and make sure they know it's a PAL unit.

Don't give up on the Service facility just yet. Keep trying and good luck,

Andrew Leigh June 28th, 2002 12:49 PM

Chris,

I have the PAL version with the CR2025....no problem.

Andrew

Chris Hurd June 28th, 2002 01:41 PM

Thanks Andrew! Now to be sure that CUSA realizes that Steve's camera is a PAL unit...

Alex Dolgin June 30th, 2002 06:07 AM

Steve, what exactly do you mean by "burned out"? What is the simptom? After you took the battery out, did you have a chance to measure the voltage on it?
Thx
Alex

Steve Kim June 30th, 2002 08:30 PM

Voltage: before and after XL1S PAL

The voltage of a brand new backup battery was 3.3 V and a couple of week later on XL1S, it had reduced to 0.3 V.
The original one was made by Panasonic and all others were made in Swiss and I purchased them at RadioShack.
I measured them before and after except the original one.
I did not notice any external changes except the low voltage.

Alex Dolgin June 30th, 2002 09:57 PM

Yes, this pretty much excludes the possibility of the bad contact connection... I would say that you are right, there is a fault in the camera, drawing much more current than it should. The tech should be able to connect the ampmeter in series with the battery and actualy see what the current is. It should be very small, microamps.
Alex