DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Help for my video and audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/17098-help-my-video-audio.html)

Sunarto Sosrosaputro November 14th, 2003 11:24 PM

Urgently-Help for my video and audio

Sorry, if my english isn't good.
Why my video sometimes like jagged when playback in camera ???
And on my sound, there are noise, so the sound isn't clearly.
I have try to clean with dry cassette, but nothing happen.
What duration to clean with dry cassette ???
This link for example :
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sun...src=ph&.view=t

Thanks

Ken Tanaka November 15th, 2003 12:39 AM

Check the instructions provided on the cleaning cassette. They all have instructions. The typical cleaning time is 10 seconds.

Sunarto Sosrosaputro November 15th, 2003 08:10 AM

is that problem ( like in picture ) because the head dirty ?
I try to clean for 10 second, but nothing change.
I used Panasonic head cleaner.

Instruction :
The panasonic AY-DVMCLC is a high performance cleaning cassette tape designed to clean heads in just 10 seconds.
CAUTION - To avoid misuse and possible video head damage, please read carefully. Do not use the cleaning tape more often than necessary. Frequent use maycause head damage. This tape is for cleaning only and can not be used for recording and playback.
Prior to use, play another video tape to see that the problem doesn't lie in the tape.
Also, make sure the tracking control is properly adjusted.
1. Play the cleaning tape for 10 seconds only. Check the results by playing a pre-recorded tape.
2. If picture is still unclear, try again. DO NOT USE MORE THAN 3 CONSECUTIVE TIMES.
3. Do not rewind the tape after each use. The tape may be rewound and used only once. This tape can be used for approximately 100 head cleaning passes.
4. If video noise does not clear up after use, service may be necessary.

Adrian Douglas November 15th, 2003 09:23 AM

It looks like the beginning of the common banding issue seen on many DV cameras when the heads get dirty of clogged. If your head cleaning tape doesn't fix the problem then you'll most likely have to send it to be cleaned by an authorised Canon repairer. DO NOT TRY TO CLEAN THE HEADS YOURSELF AS YOU MAY CAUSE IRREPAIRABLE DAMAGE.

Nathan Gifford November 15th, 2003 12:24 PM

Does this only happen when you first start recording? Does the problem stop a few seconds after you start recording?

If yes, try doing what is call a "pre-roll" and a "post-roll." Sometimes when you start recording you will get that kind of breakup: pre-rolls and post-rolls help get past that.

Also, are you using more than one tape brand? If yes, try using just one brand of tape.

I am not sure what your audio problem is. If when the room is quiet with very little sound, you may be hearing the sound of the zoom motor. Try the Lightwave MiniMount as this will reduce some of that noise.

Andrew Petrie November 17th, 2003 12:50 PM

I don't see how the minimount would reduce zoom noise. Mine certainly doesn't....

Sunarto Sosrosaputro November 17th, 2003 01:06 PM

That happens in middle of the scene. I used only one tape brand ( Sony ). The audio happens if the video happens.

<<<-- Originally posted by Nathan Gifford : Does this only happen when you first start recording? Does the problem stop a few seconds after you start recording?

If yes, try doing what is call a "pre-roll" and a "post-roll." Sometimes when you start recording you will get that kind of breakup: pre-rolls and post-rolls help get past that.

Also, are you using more than one tape brand? If yes, try using just one brand of tape.

I am not sure what your audio problem is. If when the room is quiet with very little sound, you may be hearing the sound of the zoom motor. Try the Lightwave MiniMount as this will reduce some of that noise. -->>>

John Locke November 17th, 2003 01:47 PM

Be sure to use new tapes each time, too. If you rerecord over tapes, you'll get bands like this sometimes.

Nathan Gifford November 17th, 2003 02:00 PM

Is the audio distortion occuring in the camera? Can you hear the distortion when listening to the audio on headphones?

If its happening while using the NLE (your editing package) the problem might be with editing package.

Also, if like John asks, you are re-using cassettes, I would stop doing that. That can cause similar problems.

Another thing to check are your mic and gain settings. If the audio is really loud when that happens, the camera's audio may be saturating.

Sunarto Sosrosaputro November 18th, 2003 12:35 AM

When I recording, I can't hear the noise in the headphone. But in playback, I can hear the noise and see the picture banding.
I always used new cassette. But I try with old cassette, the noise reduce. When I used new cassette, the noise happens. Strange.
I already check my gain ( in 12db ).

Thanks

<<<-- Originally posted by Nathan Gifford : Is the audio distortion occuring in the camera? Can you hear the distortion when listening to the audio on headphones?

If its happening while using the NLE (your editing package) the problem might be with editing package.

Also, if like John asks, you are re-using cassettes, I would stop doing that. That can cause similar problems.

Another thing to check are your mic and gain settings. If the audio is really loud when that happens, the camera's audio may be saturating. -->>>

Nathan Gifford November 18th, 2003 08:03 AM

Ok the problem does sound like it with the camera system. The question now is what is causing it.

Is the noise you are hearing a kind of whine? If so, it might be the zoom motor.

Your old tape and new tape, are they the same manufacturer and type? It is best to stay with one brand of tape.

Have you tried another new tape? It is possible you have a bad tape (I had one new bad tape once).

Sunarto Sosrosaputro November 18th, 2003 12:40 PM

Thanks for your help.
I don't hearing a kind of whine. I have been tried with other camera and playback in my XL1S. The result is the same.
The old and new tape from the same manufacturer and type.

Ken Tanaka November 18th, 2003 01:22 PM

It sounds like your XL1s needs to be serviced. I don't think this will be a problem that you can repair for yourself.

Nathan Gifford November 18th, 2003 04:44 PM

Yes, I agree with Ken. You have isolated all the operations faults and it looks like there is a problem with the camera.

Do try another new tape from same manufacturer in case it is a problem with a faulty tape.