DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Nubtek - what, no hood? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/1714-nubtek-what-no-hood.html)

osiasencarnacion April 21st, 2002 12:35 AM

Nubtek - what, no hood?

ZGC talked me into getting the Nubtek 5" instead of the Varizoom TFT ultimate package. I balked at the lack of the hood but Christine at ZGC insisted that the Nubtek doesn't need a hood; even in outdoor sun. I took it outdoor today and yes, you can see the image; its washed but its there. Obviously you wouldn't want to color balance to it and none of the viewfinder cues show up; but its a great way for compositing your shot once the action starts. It was especially handy when I hand held the XL1s low, using its top hand bracket, regardless of bright sun. The big 5" monitor is nice.

Two issues, the Nubtek came with no instructions (okay, so you just plug it in, but I always like to make sure I'm not missing something); and no audio cable. I'm not exactly sure how to plug audio into it. Instructions would have been nice.

osiasencarnacion April 21st, 2002 09:45 AM

Nebtek - no hood? no audio!

Sorry for the earlier mispelling. The company is Nebtek, not Nubtek. I found the answer to my audio question in the specifications sheet that was shipped with the box. It says:

Audio Output/Speaker - Earphone Jack
Additional Features Volume Control - Yes
Audio In - N/A

Looks like they are using someone else's shell to load their monitor into. In fact, out of the four models they sell, only two has and audio input.

This isn't a problem when its hooked to the XL1s, but I was hoping to use the monitor for other applications, such as cueing tapes on my VHS unit.

Chris Hurd April 21st, 2002 02:10 PM

Howdy from Texas,

ZGC has an excellent return policy. From their website: "If digital video equipment is returned within one week of purchase by traceable method in new condition, in its original and undamaged packaging, the full purchase price will be refunded." If you contact Chris and explain to hear that the NebTek unit's lack of audio input does not facilitate your AV playback requirements, I'm sure she will cheerfully guide you through the return process and exchange it for the VariZoom unit which indeed has an audio input.

Sunshades for these LCD monitors may be constructed at home out of simple materials or purchased from HoodMan USA at www.hoodmanusa.com

Hope this helps,

osiasencarnacion April 22nd, 2002 01:01 PM

Nebtek's reply on LCD monitor

I contacted Nebtek about their monitor. Here's Rob Dubree (GM Sales & Marketing) reply. P.S. I do like the monitor and decided to keep it rather than to purchase a Varizoom TFT Ultimate kit or similar. As Chris Hurd points out, I can buy a hood for it for about $20; or just make one for myself. The lack of audio isn't a major problem since it will pretty much sit on top of my XL1s.

I apologize for the confusion,
Those monitors were delivered to ZGC for resale at the show, and did not contain all of the literature that normally accompanies them.
1) No, the audio output does not work on the monitor. This is an unnecessary feature that we disable due to the monitor's application as a secondary viewfinder for the XL1/1S. Our manufacturer custom builds our monitors to our particular specifications, but they use the same casing as the monitors they sell to their other distributors who use them in automobiles for entertainment purposes.
2) The connection you see on the Lithium-ion battery adapter is for your standard 2.1mm AC connector (a "Wall-Wart"). This way you can power your monitor off any household power outlet. Yes we sell the "wall-wart" seperately... and for a very good reason. You can buy one at any Radio-Shack or Walmart for 35%-50% cheaper than what we can sell them for. So I normally send the few customers who ask me about them to the cheapest place they can find one. It's all about saving a little money.
3) The picture on our website is your same model of monitor, but not the upgraded model. We decided to wire the lithium-ion battery adapter directly into the back of the monitor which alleviated the use of our mounting plate (extra weight) and that annoying grey cord that Chris Hurd (DVINFO.NET) told me was liable to get "snagged" when mounting the monitor. We also went to a heavier grade RCA cable to provide the best possible signal to the monitor and better shield it from RF interference. We then added the 2.1 mm AC connection to offer an extra powering option for our customers. We pay close attention to what our consumers say to us and always try to keep their needs in mind.
4) The monitor doesn't come with any extra cables or items...yet. We are in the process of developing a "monitor-kit" that would include a hotshoe ball mount, Li-battery and charger, and screen wipes all in a sturdy Pelican case. Unfortunately the problem has been keeping the price down to a level that would make it attractive to consumers. We have a hard-earned reputation for quality and affordability which is hard to do when your basically a "Mom & Pop" operation. We keep our prices as low as possible so everyone can afford to benefit from our products. Unfortunately that also doesn't give us too much room to work with when offering a kit as compared to "ala carte", but give me some more time... I'm working on it.
Sorry about the novel, but I wanted to answer your questions as completely as possible. If you have any other questions, or need anything else, please feel free to contact me directly at 888-648-8324 (toll free).
Thank You,
Rob DuBree
GM Sales & Marketing/NEBTEK.