DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Hoodman on XL-1S Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/19194-hoodman-xl-1s-question.html)

John C Heid January 3rd, 2004 11:17 AM

Hoodman on XL-1S Question

I just bought the Hoodman for XL-1S. You can install it over the existing rubber eyepiece, or remove the rubber eyepiece (it just slips off), and install Hoodman over the plastic viewfinder body. Which is the preferred technique?

The only reason I removed the rubber eyepiece: by leaving it on, the added thickness of the Hoodman pushes the entire camera away from your shoulder, which reduces stability. This problem is solved by removing the rubber eyepiece.

How are Hoodman users mounting yours?

John Locke January 3rd, 2004 12:21 PM

John,

Mine is mounted over the rubber eyepiece for more stability. It does scrunch up the rubber a bit, but nothing that blocks my view.

Dylan Couper January 3rd, 2004 02:17 PM

I removed the rubber eyepiece.

G. Randy Brown January 3rd, 2004 06:48 PM

Had I not waited so long, I would have returned my Hoodman eyepiece...it's hard to believe that they still haven't actually made it fit the XL1s. You would do yourself a favor by returning it and going with the "icuff"... it fits, it's comfortable and it's about half the price. If someone has both and can tell me I'm wrong, I'd sure like to hear how so that I can use it.
Thanks,
Randy

John C Heid January 3rd, 2004 07:42 PM

I had not heard of I-Cuff. I read all of the reviews, and it sounds better for the XL-1S than Hoodman, due to the fit. It is actually more expensive, though. The reviews I read recommended the I-Cuff for PRO cameras due to the large viewfinder on the Canon. Lists $99.00; B&H price: $49.95.

The lower cost mini-dv I-Cuff is made for smaller eyepieces than the XL-1S - according to the reviews I found.

Please correct me if I am wrong! I'll try to return my Hoodman and order the I-Cuff Sunday 1/04.

Dylan Couper January 4th, 2004 02:33 AM

Hmm... I think I'll just make a new one from scratch.

John C Heid January 4th, 2004 10:09 AM

I just ordered the I-Cuff Pro. Hope it fits better on the XL-1S than Hoodman did! Thanks to all for the invaluable help!

G. Randy Brown January 4th, 2004 10:53 AM

>>Please correct me if I am wrong!<<
You are right, I couldn't remember what I paid for it so I did a Google search and came up with the price for the size that fits smaller cams. I believe you'll be happy with the icuff, I even where sunglasses on outdoor shoots and don't need to remove them when framing a shot.
Randy

Jonathan Pike January 10th, 2004 04:15 AM

Not to troll the thread, but I really hate the XL1s Hoodman. Worst 50 I've ever spent.

Went back to a regular film camera chamois. So comfy, so nice, light-tight...and only $5. :)

p.s - to answer the original question, yes, I took the rubber eyepiece off when using the hoodman.

Leo Anderson January 13th, 2004 09:34 PM

I have a hoodman for my XL1s and I love it. I mounted mine over the rubber eyepiece.

I wear glasses and the hoodman makes it very comfortable to shoot with my glasses on.

The major downside to the hoodman is that you can't get as close to the eyepiece as you used to so it moves the XL1s even that much more forward.

- Leo

Dave Stewart January 27th, 2004 12:38 AM

A friend of mine is a pro cameraman and he said just to get a wrist sweat band from the sporting good store. I got the hoodman, but I wish I had listened to him.

G. Randy Brown January 27th, 2004 08:44 AM

That sounds like a great idea! And compared to the price of the useless Hoodman, you could buy like 40 or 50 of them....hmm...come to think of it, isn't the Hoodman a wrist band with a piece of polyester sewn around it?
BTW, if I sound bitter it's because I am...not only with Hoodman but also myself for not sending it back after discovering the way it (doesn't) fits.
Randy