DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Shooting with Canon Manual 16 X lens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/20381-shooting-canon-manual-16-x-lens.html)

Mark McCarthy January 26th, 2004 09:09 AM

Shooting with Canon Manual 16 X lens

Hello All.
I am thinking about upgrading my XL1s by purchasing the manual 16x lense. It looks terrific.

I am shooting a fishing/ wildlife programme for Discovery over the next year. Most of it will be shot on the shoulder. My question. Just how much difference how you found it makes not having an image stabilzer on the lens? Does not having it make that much difference to the steadyness of the shot? The review noted that it should only be used when on legs or using a steadycam.

Would I be better just sticking to the stock lens and perhaps getting a 1.6x extender for a quarter of the price?

The budget is not an issue.

I would appreciate any comments.
Cheers
Mark

Chris Hurd January 27th, 2004 08:14 AM

Hi Mark,

The question really is, can you work effectively without the autofocus and optical image stabilization of the standard 16x auto (white) lens. Are you experienced in the skill of being a "human tripod," if you can make that evaluation about yourself, that's what will help determine your decision.

Mark McCarthy January 27th, 2004 10:31 AM

Thanks Chris.
I only ever use the camera in Manual mode. Although I have never shot anything with the image stablizer switched off.

I imagine that as the camera is already too heavy loaded weight wise to the front of the camera, with the additional weight on the manual 16x, the problem is greatly increased! Do any other shooters shoot on the shoulder with the manual 16x lense? How have you got on.

regards to all, sparky.

Mike Avery January 27th, 2004 03:22 PM

Hi Mark,

We use the 16x manual exclusively on our XL. Much of that work is handheld.

I haven't noticed any problems with camera movement as a result of no image stabilization.

However we do try to use some tricks.....brace against something when possible.....stay close and stay wide, etc.

I love that manual lens. It would be very hard for me to go back to the stock lens at this point.

Mike Avery

Mark McCarthy January 28th, 2004 10:13 AM

Thanks Mike.

When you're shooting handheld, do you the find increased weight of the manual 16x an issue?
Thanks, Mark

Chris Hurd January 28th, 2004 11:32 AM

Mark,

With a good accessory shoulder support, the front weight shouldn't be an issue. There are a wide variety of third-party shoulder supports available for the XL1S, here are just a few of them. Hope this helps,

Barry Gribble January 28th, 2004 12:10 PM

On the topic of using the manual lens...

Do you need a focus puller? Do you just do that yourself?

If so, do you need to have the B&W viewfinder? Seems like you couldn't get it sharp with the color one....

Thanks...

Mark McCarthy January 28th, 2004 12:24 PM

No, if only my budget covered one of those!

I did a lot of filming out in Zambia last year and was so impressed by the quality of the picture. I told my client it was shot on DSR 500 and they didn't bat an eyelid.

I basically used the circular polarizer the entire time, upped the shutter speed and kept it around F6. The pictures were fantastic. But sometimes it is hard to focus on the color viewfinder, esp on objects in the distance. But generally when you look at the footage later, it's better than you expected.

I am doing a series later this year to be shown on Discovery. I am planning to upgrade to the manual lense from my standard one. It justs looks so heavy. I already use the MA 200 which is a great piece of kit. I may even get the 1.6x extender. Seems useful for wildlife shots.

Anyway, when you look at what you get from the XL1S, it's such a great camera, You get so much for your money, I can't say enough about it. There's no question. It is broadcast standart. I have the money to buy a more expensive camera, but I don't think I could do any better.

Mark.

Mike Avery January 28th, 2004 04:30 PM

Hi Mark,

I agree with you about the XL1. I too have more expensive "professional broadcast" cameras, but I don't even use them anymore.

Now that I know you have experience with such gear I recommend the 16x manual even more.

Before I got the lens I couldn't get comfortable with the XL. With that addition it felt more like a "real" camera to me.

And no, I don't notice the difference in weight between the two lenses, even hand held.

Mike Avery

Mark McCarthy January 29th, 2004 04:24 AM

Thanks Mike.
Have you used the 1.6x extender with the 16x manual lens?
How did you get on?

regards
Mark.

Mike Avery January 29th, 2004 07:28 AM

Yes we have used the extender, but definately not hand held.

It works fine for our needs. Of course it drops the light level quite a bit, and focus is more critical.

For the money I'd say its a good tool to have in your bag.

Mike Avery