DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   mini35 first real shoot (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/2106-mini35-first-real-shoot.html)

Justin Chin May 21st, 2002 11:35 PM

mini35 first real shoot

I just shot some test footage for an advertising agency with my mini35. Damn, it was amazing. We were shooting inserts for a finished commercial shot on 35mm.

Both the director and I brought our JVC DV500 gear just in case the client didn't like the fact that we were shooting with the XL-1.

No need. They loved the footage.

The depth of field control was amazing. It's incredible what a soft focus can do to hair when kicked - meanwhile the eyes are in perfect focus. The dimension in the image is just amazing.

The actors were in front of some green trees. Opened up the lens iris and dropped the background. I had about 6 inches of focus. I could keep the actors face sharp but as they acted out the taste test their hands would be out of focus slightly. Beautiful.

You can't do that with a pro mist.

mini35 - worth every penny I spent on it.

If and when I can get the footage I shot, I'll post them. We did some tests with charts last week, and I'll grab those when I can and post them (I don't have the tape, the director does).

Adrian Douglas May 22nd, 2002 06:39 AM

Sounds great Justin, can't wait to see the clips.

Rob Lohman May 22nd, 2002 06:51 AM

Would probably drool over those clips... ehehehe. Keep us
informed, please. Thanks.

Ken Tanaka May 22nd, 2002 03:28 PM

Justin,
What lens(es) did you use with the mini35 on this work?

Justin Chin May 23rd, 2002 12:15 AM

Hi Ken,

I used my 85mm Zeiss Super Speed Prime exclusively and didn't touch any of my other lenses. I was at about T1.8-2.0 and gives me about 13 inches of focus with the subject at 5-6 feet.

Ken Tanaka May 23rd, 2002 12:23 AM

13 inches of focus at 1.8 with a subject 6 ft. away...now you have ME drooling. Very nice.

Out of curiosity, have you had trouble in your work with the XL1s' blanking problems (usually horizontal) that we've been discussing in another thread?

Justin Chin May 23rd, 2002 12:36 AM

Hi Ken,

I have a slight vertical edge on the left side of the screen. This was pretty much the same as my old Sony VX1000.

Justin Chin May 23rd, 2002 06:31 PM

Incidentally, Chris moved this post into the XL1 watchdog section. I originally posted it in the General DV discussion because the mini35 can attach to a Sony DP150 as well.

Ken Tanaka May 23rd, 2002 09:13 PM

Guilty

I moved it, Justin. It seemed to me that it would be of special interest to XL1/s folks and I didn't want anyone to miss it. There is still a link to this thread in the original forum.

Chris Hurd May 23rd, 2002 09:48 PM

Actually perhaps we ought to move it to XL1 Lens & Optics. Justin, were you ever moved around a lot in grade school? Front of the class, the back, etc.

Justin Chin May 23rd, 2002 11:01 PM

Yes, I was. I should be used to it than. Right?

Well, it serves me right for not finishing my official write up...