DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   XL1s for commercials? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/22240-xl1s-commercials.html)

Terry Lyons March 2nd, 2004 01:18 AM

XL1s for comercials?

Hi, sorry to be so new, but in my quest for the xl2 one of my goals is to make commercials. What do you guys and gals think. Does the xl1s have what it takes? "Broadcast Quality"???? Hey I dont even know what it takes. Thanks again TL

Ken Tanaka March 2nd, 2004 02:04 AM

It certainly can be used for commercial productions, and has been used. In fact, we hope to have a feature article up (again) soon that details a recent large commercial production using an XL1s.

G. Randy Brown March 2nd, 2004 08:43 AM

I not only do lots of commercials but a weekly TV magazine show with my XL1s'. They are broadcast on our local NBC and CBS affiliates.
Randy

Alexis Vazquez March 2nd, 2004 08:11 PM

Randy, are you using your XSL1s original as it comes or are you using different lens for this type of job.

Alexis

Terry Lyons March 3rd, 2004 01:33 AM

Thanks Gents, just trying to justify the purchase. Its time for the camera and computer upgrade and wanting to make the right choices. TL

G. Randy Brown March 3rd, 2004 07:46 AM

>>Randy, are you using your XSL1s original as it comes or are you using different lens for this type of job.<<
Totally stock with a decent light kit and mics (with the MA 200).
Randy

Richard Alvarez March 3rd, 2004 05:23 PM

We shoot commercials on the Xl1, with 16x manual lens. They air in the local Houston market.

Terry Lyons March 3rd, 2004 11:03 PM

Hi Richard, thanks for the reply. Could you tell me of the quality of the video, do I need the manual lens or will the stock one do? How do you edit and what format do you have to give the studio to air. So many questions, sorry. Do you think an xl1s, and adobe video collection pro version is a good way to go for commercials? Thanks again, hope im not asking too much... TL

Richard Alvarez March 4th, 2004 08:25 AM

Terry,
I can't tell you what you "need"... only what works for us. THe manual lens allows more controll, and I think it has a sharper image. But then I'm the kind of guy who prefers less"automatic" anything all around. We also use the B&W viewfinder for sharper focussing. Keep a field monitor on hand to check the color.

Generally, we hire audio when we shoot the commercials, so they use what they think works best, run the sound into a field mixer, then into the xl1.

Editing is done on Final Cut Pro, or Avid Xpress Pro.

Delivery format to stations can be Betcam or digiBeta. (Whatever the station asks for.) We take the dv master to a dub house and have them transfered and delivered, or alternately, rent the deck to export via cinewave/targa.

Honestly, most commercial shoots are a four to six person crew... and shooting on the xl1 is just one way we offer to save the client a LITTLE bit of money. Otherwise, its the same professional crew and standards whether it's shot on MiniDV, DigiBeta, 16mm or 35mm. The format change offers a little bit of savings, and unless we are all the way up to 35mm, the crew size alters very little.

In my experience, "Broadcast Quality" lies more in the approach to craft and the skill of the crew, rather than the format of capture.

That's my opinion.

Terry Lyons March 4th, 2004 10:39 AM

Thanks again Richard, for the time and a thorough ( I think thats spelled right ) answer. I know what you mean about the content and thats where I think we will be competitive in our area. I have a lot to learn so I sure appreciate the help. Thanks,TL