DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Xl1 Zoom Skip (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/230-xl1-zoom-skip.html)

Robert R Gallegos October 27th, 2001 01:30 PM

Xl1 Zoom Skip

All,

Is anyone else experiencing skips during zooming on the 16x stock lens?

Any work-arounds or is my lens defective?

Chris Hurd October 27th, 2001 02:28 PM

Robert, can you go into a little more detail? Describe a "zoom skip." Frankly, I always use a VariZoom lens controller for zooming flawlessly...

Robert R Gallegos October 27th, 2001 04:09 PM

Chris,

During a zoom in or zoom out – the zoom isn't smooth. It skips. A better discription would be " it stutters" and isn't smoth from end to end.

Chris Hurd October 27th, 2001 08:52 PM

Robert,

Does this happen when you manually turn the zoom ring by hand or manually push the zoom rocker on the grip handle? If so, these troubles are eliminated through the use of a remote zoom controller. Clamp it to your tripod handle and run your camera the proper way -- by not touching it! ;-)

My preference is for any of the VariZoom controllers... VZ-Pro-L, etc.

Daniel H. Buchmann October 29th, 2001 12:02 AM

hey, i've had the same problem, especially during any kind of quick push or pull. i could be wrong but it seems as though the mechanics in the lens need time to "catch up" to my zoom. The only way around it (without a varizoom) is by manually controlling your push/pull.

Robert R Gallegos October 29th, 2001 07:26 AM

Daniel,

Several xl1s users have complained about this. I will try and collect their observations and post it here. It is possible that the lens has a mechanical fault.

Sal Giambruno October 30th, 2001 09:53 PM

I just purchased a used XL1 and am disappointed to have noticed the "zoom skip" phenomenon as well. On a slow zoom (it may occur on a fast zoom as well) in or out, using the rocker or by remote, the motion is smooth through most of the range, then suddenly, it stutters or skips in the direction of the zoom. The problem can be reproduced consistently.

At first I though this was related to the "other" 16x zoom lens problems (i.e. focus plane shift), but after reading this post it appears that it is a different problem altogether.

I'm very disappointed.

Could anyone provide feedback on turnaround time for repair/maintenance service from the XL1 Club? Other comments appreciated as well.

Sal

Don Palomaki October 31st, 2001 05:44 PM

I've not noticed this in my shooting.
Is it in the digital zoom range?
Does OIS setting have an effect?
Is it at the tele end or wide end of a zoom?
Does lens aperture have any effect?
Does exposure mode have any effect?

Chris Hurd October 31st, 2001 05:54 PM

Thanks Don, I did not want to be the first to say that I haven't seen this either, although I've handled the XL1S on only a couple of occasions.

Had a shoot at Stubb's BBQ in Austin this past Monday night for a Mike Watt show. I shot hand-held all night long with Kevin Triplett's XL1S and did not notice any zoom skip of any kind. But then, over the years I've developed a sensitive touch for that rocker.

Just curious, for anyone who has this problem, have you tried locking off the variable zoom speed? Because you can do this in the menu as I understand it.

pjssssss November 1st, 2001 09:43 PM

I have not experienced this with any of my xl1cameras. I played with a xl1s for about 5 minutes and did not notice it either. But I have had my cmeras almost 3 years so I have a very good feel with the rocker switch.

Daniel H. Buchmann November 1st, 2001 10:30 PM

i actually have some video i shot for a story and there is a very noticeable hesitation when i tried to do a quick push. slow/medium zooms and pulls don't seem to be a problem. When i say a quick push i mean really "gunning" the rocker. It seems as though the lens starts out zooming slow and eventually kicks into gear. I guess if i create that quick a move i should probably do it manually anyway. I know ill have to purchase a varizoom eventually, but not in the budget yet. any more suggestions would be great.

Don Palomaki November 2nd, 2001 05:46 AM

For snap zooms and other unusual (not consumer/prosumer) effects wouldn't a fully manual lens be best?

Just a thought: super fast zooms usually to not watch well since they are being used to reframe the scene and get edited out. On the workaround side, if it is a stutter perhaps it can be edited out in post by dropping a frame here and there to smooth out the motion?

Adrian Douglas November 2nd, 2001 06:32 AM

It's definately an XL1s problem, I've been shooting surfing and snowboarding for 2 years with my XL1 and it requires lots of zoom work. My standard 16x lens has never been anything but babies butt smooth