DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   16:9 for XL1(not S) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/23369-16-9-xl1-not-s.html)

Eric Reese March 22nd, 2004 09:14 PM

16:9 for XL1(not S)

Quick question for anyone out there... I understand there is a better process for shooting 16:9 besides using the default option on the XL1 (since the vertical resolution is dropped when displayed on a 4:3 viewer), which is to essentially compose the 4:3 for an imaginary letterbox when shooting and then just add one in post. Is there another option that isn't so... approximate? I've read/heard that you can display actual letterboxes on a monitor while shooting 4:3.

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers...

Boyd Ostroff March 23rd, 2004 06:30 PM

No matter whether you add the letterbox in post or with the camera you will lose vertical resolution since the XL-1 has 4:3 CCD's with a limited number of pixels. You may get somewhat cleaner results by adding in post, but basically you will still only be using 360 of the 480 vertical lines. This shouldn't be a big concern if your goal is a letterboxed 4:3 image, but it will suffer on a 16:9 monitor.

You might also have a look at the anamorphic lens made for the Panasonic DVX-100. I gather it has the correct sized threads for the XL-1 and on another forum I've read comments from a satisfied user. Not cheap, but it would give you the full 480 vertical lines with an anamorphic 16:9 image.

Since I don't have an XL-1 I can't really comment on its quality, but maybe someone else around here can.

Dylan Couper March 23rd, 2004 06:53 PM

Eric, I suggest doing a search here for anamorphic adapters for the XL1. This topic has been covered before and you should be able to find everything you need. I think Optex makes on. I've never needed to use one, so I'm not 100% sure.

Eric Reese March 23rd, 2004 07:12 PM

Thank you gentleman, first off, for your answers and your time...
I've considered the anamorphic adapter but am already "using up the space," if you will, with Ultra Primes and an adapter (Mini35 Converter). Also, accurate focus is a necessity on this particular shoot and I've heard/read the discrepancies in "quality" of focus that the adapter can create.

Nick Hiltgen March 25th, 2004 04:54 PM

Eric, this may be a little late but if you're looking for a less approximate way of finding the 16:9 conversion take any of the sony 8" monitors that have the built in 16:9 switch. Change the viewing ratio to 16:9 and you'll notice the edges are cropped, take some paper tape/gaffers tape (depending whether or not it's your monitor...) and cover the cropped edges of the monitor now switch back to 4:3 that will give you a near exact view of what the 16:9 will look like in post. Hope that helps!
Nick

Eric Reese March 26th, 2004 12:43 AM

Nick. Awesome, exactly the "gimmick" I was asking about...

Thank you.

Nick Hiltgen March 29th, 2004 12:28 AM

hey rock on, hope the shoot goes/went good

Dan Marker April 11th, 2004 08:54 AM

I just ordered my first XL1S [actualy still in transit] so I am not too familiar with it but... is this all true w/ the XL1S?

Eric Reese April 14th, 2004 12:19 PM

Dan,

Yes. The "gimmick" that was discussed does not necessarily pertain to any camera, rather the monitor in use.

Dan Marker April 14th, 2004 12:28 PM

I was talking about the XL1s' 16x9 features, they aren't improved