DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Accessory Power Options (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/2407-accessory-power-options.html)

Ken Tanaka June 16th, 2002 09:27 PM

Accessory Power Options

I am looking for a high-quality battery system to power an external Panasonic 7" lcd monitor and, perhaps occasionally, a camera mounted light (not yet selected). I usually use a large portable battery pack (www.store4power.com) but am now looking for something like an Anton Bauer outfit, either mounted to my MA-200 or as a belt pack. (Note that I am not looking to power my XL1s from this configuration.)

My problem: I am bewildered by the variety of configurations available in the A-B line! Can anyone offer me guidance?

Thanks very much.

Chris Hurd June 17th, 2002 08:01 AM

One option is to send the monitor to Nebtek, who will install a Canon battery mounting plate to the back of the unit. Not the A-B solution you were looking for, but if you have a number of BP-9xx series batts laying around, might be worth a try.

Justin Chin June 17th, 2002 08:51 AM

The infamous Chris Hurd once pointed me in this direction. This might give you power to your LDC display (don't know your LCD specs)

http://www.aspenelectronics.com/aspen_products/specialized/xl7a.htm

(the aspen website uses frames so I pointed you to the actual page)

Good luck, Ken. I'm looking into the same solution.

Ken Tanaka June 17th, 2002 09:40 AM

Thanks guys. Indeed, I'm aware of the opportunity to Nebtek the Panny. But I've chosen not to go that route for two reasons. (a) The big honkin' adapter they'll tattoo on its back will negate the ability for me to use the monitor's case, and (b) I want to adopt a more industry-standard power plan for accessories. In the long run I think that this will be a better strategy.

p.s. That Aspen Battery Eliminator is confusing. How does it work, Justin? I can't tell from the page.

Justin Chin June 17th, 2002 09:54 AM

The aspen slides into your battery compartment and allows you to use XLR power cables from battery belts and other power gear. It will also send power to your accessories at the same time.

Chris Hurd June 17th, 2002 11:28 AM

Can't beat the price of that Aspen unit, either... only $125. Thanks Justin for reminding me about it. Aspen is a great outfit, lots of interesting power products.

Rob Lohman June 18th, 2002 01:14 AM

That converter sure does looks/sounds interesting. These
connectors are industry standard (I only recognise those
connectors from audio equipment). Does this power connector
also convert power to 7.2 volt the XL1 needs? If so, what voltages
can I put in there? I saw they also had 14 volt power belts
on that site.

Chris Ferrer June 18th, 2002 07:24 AM

I have an AB setup and it has worked out great so far! (2 digital trimpacs and a titan twin charger) I did switch from the AB mount that goes on the ma-100/200 to the AB Unipac belt, which holds any AB battery and provides a 5' XLR power cord which I am connecting to a Dolgin Engineering DC power converter. I am also getting an extension for my powertap to run my light from the belt rig.

After seeing that Aspen converter I think I may try one out as well, it is going to mount so much cleaner than the dolgin as I have built my own shoulder rest for my XL1s.

I originally thought having everything mounted on the camera was going to be a great idea until I started doing a lot of shoulder mounted shots... the camera gets pretty heavy with everything onboard after several hours... BUT it does make it stable!!!! with that battery on there the camera shake goes down a whole lot! Plus, with the AB battery belt, you are only carrying a few pounds around with you (1 batt) vs. the weight of those "other" heavy battery belts.

As for performance, AB stuff is great! I can shoot about 2.5 hours per batt. using my light when i need it (4.5 hrs without the light). Service is great too, I had to send in my charger after a power outtage I had here at the house and within 4 days of me sending the unit in, I had a brand new charger in my hands. plus the batts have a 3 year warranty, it they dont measure up you get new ones!

so needless to say I am hooked with the AB line, albeit expensive, I believe it is worth the investment.

Chris

Ken Tanaka June 18th, 2002 10:22 AM

Videohead,

Very interesting. How does your gear (your light) attach to the AB battery? Is the "Powertap" connection an XLR-style? Also, does the connection occur at the battery or at something in the belt.? How would you, say, also connect an lcd monitor to the battery...or could you?

Thanks!

Chris Ferrer June 18th, 2002 05:03 PM

All AB gold mount plates (be it on the ma-100 adapter or the Unipac belt) have the propriatary 2 pin "Powertap" connector (not xlr) on it that AB uses for everything other than the camera power. It provides a direct 12v power source for anything you want to power and they also make a little junction block that has several powertap connectors coming off of it to power multiple devices. So with the unipac belt, the xlr power cord will power my camera (or a light in your case) and the powertap outlet will power my light (or your monitor). AB has a full catalog that they will send you if you ask, it helps see everything they carry.

Chris

Ken Tanaka June 18th, 2002 05:09 PM

Thank you, Chris. That's very helpful information.