DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Very, very, very, very weird. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/24253-very-very-very-very-weird.html)

Barb Morra April 7th, 2004 01:13 PM

Very, very, very, very weird.

Weirder than weird, possibly the weirdest thing I've even seen in my young video life. I've come to consult the XL1 gods about one of the weirdest recording events I've ever seen. Admittedly, I've only been doing this for four years, so perhaps one of you old hands know what happened here, and hopefully you technical wizards on this board will be able to provide a rational explanation for what is on a tape I shot March 27. I know you will know what happened....enlighten me, Oh AV Gods

The scenario: I was shooting a concert. First mistake: I was shooting off wall power. (NEVER DO THIS!) There was one wall plug that was connected via extension cord to a surge protector. Into the surge protector was plugged the XL1, a CTX projector, and an inexpensive Panasonic minidv cam that I use as a deck. The Panasonic and CTX were used to show a pre-edited tape between acts; the XL1 was used to record the concert acts themselves.

A little baby came along and wiggled the plug in the wall. ( The outlet is old and worn and the plug head was loose.) This power cycled all the equipment. It happened twice by my count before we discovered the cause of the power failure to projector , deck and camera. Projector failed; but that's another whole sad story. I'ce come to ask about the X.

Now.

Here's the weird part. I just now got around to editing the tape of that concert. The X caught the power cycle; there is defininte video reboot artifact on the tape. However, the audio is all screwed up. I mean, all screwed up as in , there is a very long time delay between the video that was recorded and the audio that was recorded. In fact, the video shows one act doing their thing, but the audio that runs under those frames IS OF THE ACT BEFORE.

Ghosts? Poltergeists? Memory problem? I mean, WTF!!???!!!

Enlighten me, please.

With all gratitude and appreciation,
TIA

Rob Lohman April 8th, 2004 03:48 AM

I doubt anyone will be able to explain this one. The only fact is
that something got really screwed up. Some timing chip, or some
memory buffer. Or perhaps the XL1S got confused by what it
already read on tape when powering up to record.

Send it to the X-Files! <g>

Nathan Gifford April 16th, 2004 12:09 PM

Power cycling is never a good thing, especially, where cpus are concerned.

There are a couple of questions:

What it the function Panasonic deck? Is it possible that the audio got out of sync between the XL-1 and the Panny?

Barb Morra April 19th, 2004 03:43 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Nathan Gifford : Power cycling is never a good thing, especially, where cpus are concerned.

There are a couple of questions:

What it the function Panasonic deck? Is it possible that the audio got out of sync between the XL-1 and the Panny? -->>>

I use the Panny solely a deck to ship signal. ( I love it, it's practically indestructible) In this case, the Panny AV out was plugged into an older CTX projector which died a thousand deaths when power cycled ( lost its mind, BSOD, kept counting down from 30.... poor thing) The Panny was supposed to be used to show already edited video that was supposed to be part of the show. . I was using the X to record the show. The Panny and the X were not connected. They did share the same surge protector, but that was all.

Christopher C. Murphy April 19th, 2004 04:31 PM

It's actually explainable..

The tape is magnetic...it's really only little tiny rust particles on the tape being re-arranged every second, so it can be read later on when you play it back. What I think happened was your tape (which wraps around in a circle) was magnetically slammed and it bled through the layers.

Does that make sense? You had the previous act on the tape, and it was really only microns away from the other pieces of tape. It seems to me it just bled through when the power cycled.

Anyone agree?

Murph