DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Canon 3x wide angle lens questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/31641-canon-3x-wide-angle-lens-questions.html)

John Threat June 24th, 2003 08:45 AM

If you use the 3x wide, you should think about buying a matte box that holds filters (4x4) to avoid the vignetting that comes with screwing on more than one filter at once.

It will also save you a bit of time when switching lenses as you dont have to risk touching the glass of the lens or the filter by trying to swap them between your lens.

Brad Simmons June 24th, 2003 04:52 PM

Regarding this 3x wide angle lens, I was wondering if someone could either post, email me, or point me in the right direction of some frame grabs of the same scene between the 3x and the regular or manual 16x lens.

I'm curious to see just how wide it can get. Thanks.

Ken Tanaka June 24th, 2003 06:53 PM

Brad,
As you can see from the spec page the 3x's widest angular coverage is just over 70 deg horizontally by just under 34 deg vertically. This compares to the 16x manual lens' coverage of just under 48 deg horizontally by just under 27 deg vertically.

So it gives you about 46% more horizontal coverage and about 20% more vertical coverage.

Brad Simmons June 24th, 2003 11:44 PM

thanks Ken! That helps.

Rob Lohman July 11th, 2003 06:18 AM

I have even seen vignetting on my standard 16x lense with two
filters on there at its widest. But I always add black bars so it
isn't a problem for me....

John Threat July 17th, 2003 11:19 AM

Dont forget the eletronic zoom ring which prevents you from doing any sort of professional level follow focus.rendering the lens a step up from a toy.

Jeff Donald July 17th, 2003 05:08 PM

The DOF is pretty extreme with the 3X. There is not much to try and follow unless the subject is right on top of the lens. I use it with my Glidecam V-8 and it can virtually eliminate the need to worry about focus in some shots.

Jose Noriega October 3rd, 2003 10:32 AM

Canon 3X VL Wide Zoom Lens

Does anyone know if this lens can be used in a XL1s
Thanks
www.video.com.mx

Jeff Donald October 3rd, 2003 10:35 AM

No, these lenses only fit the XL1's predesessor. Sorry.

Chris Hurd October 3rd, 2003 10:40 AM

See the article Canon VL Lenses on the XL1? by Don Palomaki.

Jose Noriega October 3rd, 2003 12:01 PM

Thank you
www.video.com.mx

Christopher Hughes October 3rd, 2003 06:22 PM

Jose. Where did you buy your camera in Mexico? I have been trying to find a good dealer of video equipment in Mexico, but without much luck. I never live near DF so didnt know that area too well to go hunting around for gear. And most seem to be just amateurish stuff and nothing good. Or did you just get yours across the US border and bring it back, or mail order it and pay the tax in the Aduana?

Thanks

Jose Noriega October 3rd, 2003 08:03 PM

Christopher
I bought all my stuff on ebay and USA stores
and then send it to my USA Address in merkalink www.merkalink.com
I pay my import taxes around 17% and the shipping to Laredo and then to Mexico (Around $30 US CY for up to $1000 US CY and 2 Kilos

Bob Safay January 3rd, 2004 07:50 AM

The Canon 3X

A question. I have the opportunity to buy a used Canon 3X for $600. This is through a camera shop. I have the Canon 16X II and the 14X manual. I have usually been able to borrow the 3X in the past and know how fine a lens it is. In light of the XL-2 possibly coming out this year would this be a good purchase? Bob

Dylan Couper January 3rd, 2004 11:16 AM

$600 seems like a pretty reasonable price. I\'d buy it. The XL2 probably won\'t be available for 6 months at best, and that leaves you lots of time to get good use out of it. Plus you can always sell it. There are probably a hundred thousand XL1 users out there, and they won\'t disapear when the XL2 comes out.