DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   XL1 or Xl1s (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/32488-xl1-xl1s.html)

Matthew Lombardo September 24th, 2004 10:49 PM

XL1 or Xl1s

I have been reading and learning from this forum, but now I need to ask some advice! I'm have been looking into buying a Xl1 or Xl1s, I'm not to sure which one I should go after?

Here's my story. I will be doing all my filming on a golf course in nice weather (sunny). I will be filming golf tips, golf swings, some interviews ect...

I will probably not be using alot of the controls either camera has to offer. I will be using more than likely basic setup controls. Will I notice any big difference in quality of picture if all my filming will be done outdoors (no low light issues) and on a quite golf course (not to much background noise).

I can get a xl1 for a good deal and gives me some extra money to get some extras ( lcd monitor, mic's, filters, tripod)
or I can spend what I would on everything above and get a Xl1s and then have to spend on the extras above.

I just want to know if I'm losing alot of quality getting a xl1 with extras for the price of a xl1s with no extras.

Thank you very much for your time and I enjoy this site very much.

Matt Irwin September 24th, 2004 11:03 PM

There's no difference in image quality between the XL1 and XL1s. The "s" has some nifty shooting modes and other improvements. From the sound of it, you would probably be better off with buying the XL1 and getting the tripod and mics. I'm assuming this is an instructional video, so you definitely want some good audio.

If you are planning to shoot other things in the future, maybe look into the XL1s or maybe the XL2....

Ken Tanaka September 24th, 2004 11:18 PM

Welcome Matthew,
I've owned both cameras (currently an 'S') and would say that they're pretty close in imaging. The "S" has a slightly higher CCD resolution and slightly better low-light performance. But the difference would not leave you breathless. There is no difference in the programs but the S features several nice control enhancements.

You can get a complete rundown on the "S" enhancements on our XL1S Watchdog page.

I think that the most prominent consideration in selecting between the two cameras would be the age and amount of use that the XL1 has seen. When buying a used XL1/XL1S you should generally factor the approximate cost of sending it straight to Canon service for a routine check-up and cleaning into the price. The only exception would be if you knew with certainty that it has only seen very light usage. Many of these cameras have been driven hard, often by less-than-professional operators.

Good luck with your project!

Matthew Lombardo September 24th, 2004 11:30 PM

Thank you for your quick responses. The Xl1 I'm able to get has just came back from canon service, so I feel it's in good working order. The person just upgraded to an xl1s.

Dylan Couper September 25th, 2004 12:48 AM

Wear and tear being equal, You won't notice any difference if you go with the XL1.