DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Settings for Shooting a Fashion Show (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/32979-settings-shooting-fashion-show.html)

Jerome Terry October 4th, 2004 06:48 PM

Settings for Shooting a Fashion Show

Hello Folks,

I have another newbie question. I'm shooting a fashion show next month and I'm wondering how I should setup my xL1-s. I'm planning to shoot pretty much in manual except using auto focus so I can concentrate on the action. I was watching this tv show on the DIY Network called "Making Home Movies". The host was shooting a music video and they recommended shooting with auto focus on. Does that make any sense to do?

Thanks, Jerome

Lorinda Norton October 4th, 2004 11:35 PM

Hi Jerome,

Most people don't like auto focus because of the 'hunting' factor.

Are you planning to follow the movement at all or just set the thing wide and record?

Basically, if you want zero stress you could use auto focus and accept any focus hunting the camera does. If you want to tend to the camera and shoot for a more professional look, go manual. I rely on that wonderful little button on the lens called "Push AF" when shooting events, but you'd want to practice before the show so you know exactly what it does. A search on this forum would provide better explanations on using it than what I'd give.

Did you have questions about other camera settings, or just this one aspect?

Jiggy Gaton October 5th, 2004 06:33 AM

Re: Settings for Shooting a Fashion Show

<<<-- Originally posted by Jerome Terry : Hello Folks,

The host was shooting a music video and they recommended shooting with auto focus on. Does that make any sense to do?

Thanks, Jerome -->>>

no sense at all with the xls1. i am in the middle of a rock video that is turning into an "artist's" fashion show (compilation song) and i found manual the only way to go because of changing lighting with motion. the autofocus was, uh, crap. i was a little shocked, as i was thinking of getting the EOS lens adapter and using some of my canon "still" glass, but if that means i have to autofocus those beasts all the time, well, rats.
good luck!
jigs

Jerome Terry October 5th, 2004 07:11 AM

Thanks for the info Lorinda and Jigs. I use the Push AF button also and it seems to work great. I'm hoping that the light sources in the building where the show is taking place are bright enough to get a good exposure. I'm hoping be in a location in which I will not have to zoom much to cover all the action on runway. I have another friend who has a Canon Optura Xi. He is going to be shooting B roll. So we are going to try to match up our camcorder setting to get the closes possible image. I hope this plan is going to work. 1. First thing is manual white balance. 2. Gain setting to manual. 3. Adjust the aperture.

Jerome

Norman Woo October 8th, 2004 09:11 PM

I do quite a few fashion shows here and here are a couple of tips:

1) Stay away from Auto-focus - I use the Push AF to "kick" the focus in

2) Usually the lighting for fashion shows are unevenly lit and not lit for video camera so I have to constantly "rack" aperture (but do it slowly in such a manner that it is not noticeable) as models comes towards the end of the runways where it's guaranteed to be overly lit. This is more trickier when I'm flying with the Glidecam V16.

3) Vary the shots with tight CU of face and of course the usual tilt up from feet to head as they walk towards you or away from you.

4) See if you can get a 2nd or a 3rd camera for various angles. They can be manned or unmanned. This will give you a choice of edits.

5) If you wil selling this tapes to the fashion designers, make sure you capture their logo

6) Try all sorts of angles including dutch

7) Try some snap zoom ins, zoom outs

8) To get those 'compressed' views of models coming down the runway, position yourself some distance from the runway and on an elevated platform such that you are tilting down somewhat and zoom in as close as possible and you'll get some nice shots this way. It'll look better if your camera is on a tripod.

9) Shoot in FRAME mode for nice a filmlike quality

That's my shooting style. Your mileage may vary.

Have fun

Regards

Jerome Terry October 8th, 2004 09:30 PM

Thanks for all the input Norman!!!

Dave Stewart October 26th, 2004 02:16 AM

Oh really. Try "pushing" the auto fuckup while using the camera on a crane or steadycam.