DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   xl1s bags (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/33543-xl1s-bags.html)

Jared Thomas October 16th, 2004 03:10 PM

xl1s bags

i need a bag for my xl1s....ive searched everywhere but i cant seem to find anything i like.....i dont think i want a hard case but i want somethin strong that can hold plenty of accesories.....any recomendations?

Kevin Burnfield October 16th, 2004 10:36 PM

Oh yeah... the KATA CCC-10.

It's fantastic. I've taken my camera all over the country in it and use it exclusively. Can't recommend it enough.

just as an information link (please check to see if any of the DVInfo.net sponsors carry it first!) check out this page with lots of details on the bag:

http://www.videodirect.com/accessori...mera-case.html

Lorinda Norton October 17th, 2004 12:22 AM

Hi Jared,

I took my camera to a place nearby called Buck's Bags that makes canvas goods--backpacks, stuff like that. The gal wrote down the dimensions and designed a padded bag to hold lots of stuff for $150.00. (That was three years ago.)

The main part holds the XL1s with a built-in foam piece to cradle the on-board mic; there's a good-size pocket for a 3x lens, another the same size where I store tapes, batteries, etc., another pocket with an elastic top where I keep my lens cleaning stuff, and a partition along the back for the manual and papers.

The inside top has a zippered mesh pouch. The outside of the bag has roomy zippered pockets the same dimensions as the bag (four of 'em). Then on the top is another zippered section for anything small or flat.

It's got two handle options-- two straps that velcro on top or a long handle for slinging over my shoulder. The only thing I plan to do differently is buy a strap with a neoprene shoulder pad. That much weight really cuts in after a while!

I've taken it on a few flights. On smaller aircraft it's a tight squeeze going under the seat, but not impossible.

Is that kind of what you're looking for?

Jared Thomas October 17th, 2004 11:00 PM

wow that custom bag sounds like a winner.....anyway i could get a hold of one?.....im short on cash right now but eventually when i pay off all my crap ill invest in something.....but yeah if you know of anyway i could contact whoever made your bag that would be awsome...thanks for the replys guys..

Lorinda Norton October 17th, 2004 11:32 PM

Buck's Bags, Boise Idaho. 208-344-4400. There's one lady in particular with whom you'd need to speak. I'll try to find out her name and let you know.

One little thing to consider: It's not a problem in my opinion, but you have to use some care when placing the camera in the bag. The viewfinder fits between the two pouches, so you have to make a little room there.

When you get ready to buy, shoot me an e-mail and I'll try to send you some pictures so you know just what you're getting. I'd hate to see you spend the money and be disappointed.

Lorinda Norton October 18th, 2004 11:19 AM

Jared,

The lady's name is Teresa. Ext. 221.

I talked with her about the bag, and she said that because of increased costs she'd probably have to charge more like $175 to $200. She'd also have to look at my bag again because she let the design drop out of their system. Not a problem for me if it'd help you out.

That puts the bag pretty close in price to the KATA. Only thing I can say in favor of the custom bag is that it's bigger; therefore, holds quite a bit more stuff.

Benny Ek October 19th, 2004 01:44 PM

Red PortaBrace bag

I was actually able to get my hands on an all Red Traveler Portabrace bag for the XL1. There were only a few made custom for someone and I got the extra. These do not exist! I have been thinking of getting rid of it and see if someone wants to be really original for some $$
I have photo if anyone wants to see it