DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   16 x manual back focus adjustment (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/39948-16-x-manual-back-focus-adjustment.html)

James Clarke February 22nd, 2005 01:07 PM

16 x manual lense

can anyone help me to reset the back focus on this lense it is not holding focus throughout the zoom range i need detailed instructions on how to reajust it

help

Richard Alvarez February 22nd, 2005 01:37 PM

Mount the camcorder on a tripod. Select an object 2-3m away from the lens, or an object about the same distancs away from the lens as the subject you want to shoot.

1) Use a subject with HIGH CONTRAST so it will be easy to tell when focus is achieved. (I reccomend using a black and white graphic on a large poster board, with fine lines in it)

2) Turn the IRIS/SELECT dial to open the aperture

3) Zoom all the way in to full telephoto

4) Turn the focusing ring and focus on the object

5) Zoom all the way out to full wide angle

6) Fully release the flange back fixing screw on the lens (counterclockwise)

7) Turn the flange ring until you obtain correct focus (The approximate position is where the flange back adjustment indicator is alligned with "F.B." marked on the lens)

8) Repeat steps 3 to 7 untill you obtain the correct focus on both ends.

9) Tighten the flange back fixing screw with the ring set in proper position. (Clockwise)

Chris Hurd February 22nd, 2005 01:40 PM

From the operator's manual:

Flange back adjustment of the lens

1) Mount the camcorder on a tripod. Select an object 2-3 m away from the lens, or an object about the same distance away from the lens as your subject. Use a subject with high contrast so it will be easy tell when focus is achieved.

2) Turn the IRIS/SELECT Dial to open the aperture.

3) Zoom all the way in to full telephoto.

4) Turn the focusing ring and focus on the object.

5) Zoom all the way out to full wide angle.

6) Fully release the flange back fixing screw on the lens (counterclockwise).

7) Turn the flange back ring until you obtain correct focus (H) The approximate position is where the flange back adjustment indicator is aligned with “F.B”.

8) Repeat steps 3) to 7) until you obtain the correct focus on both ends.

9) Tighten the flange back fixing screw with the ring set in proper position (clockwise).

Hope this helps,

Chris Hurd February 22nd, 2005 01:41 PM

Richard Alvarez -- geez! We were posting the same thing at the same time!

Richard Alvarez February 22nd, 2005 01:47 PM

Chris,

I assume my manual was only marginally closer to the keyboard than yours!

R

James Clarke February 23rd, 2005 11:44 AM

thanks guys ajustments are worked great its nice to know that this forum his here to adddress your every need

Richard Alvarez February 23rd, 2005 12:11 PM

No sweat James... but just for the record,

Not your EVERY need...