DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Opinions on my current situation. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/481736-opinions-my-current-situation.html)

Nicholas Burke July 11th, 2010 10:12 PM

Opinions on my current situation.

Right now I am currently attending college and going towards a film major. I like to do things such as make music videos, PSA's and any other type of movies. Getting to the point of the post I would like to ask if the XL1s would be an adequate camera for the moment. I'm making my portfolio for the University of Central Florida and they require you have a batch of videos that proves you have talent in film before you can get accepted into their Film academy. I would really like to know if the XL1s was a good choice for a beginning director/cinematographer.

One other and final question is about software. I's unsure if this is the right section for this but what is the opinion on editing software. Ive been considering between Sony Vegas and Adobe production Suite CS5. I know Sony Vegas is going to be obviously cheaper but I would like to put my money in to more of quality then quantity or impatience.

Any sort of advice would be an awesome help!

-Nick

Chris Soucy July 11th, 2010 11:13 PM

Hi Nicholas................

Two questions:

1. What's your budget?

2. Why an XL1s?

(the two may well be related but I'm not taking anything for granted).

As for NLE's, download the freebies, try 'em out and see what rocks your boat. It's horses for courses, everyone here has an opinion and that's just what they are - opinion. The only opinion that matters (to you) is yours.

Your success or failure at being a film maker will not be dependant on your NLE choice. Pick what suits both your pocket and your way of thinking/ working. Bells and whistles are just that, most rarely, if ever, get used and just add to the price tag.

CS

Josh Bass July 12th, 2010 02:35 AM

Everyone's pretty down on the XL1s by this point. It was the big man 'til the DVX100 came along and then the XL2 and now HD cameras.

DVX100 (you'd have to find it used, but same with an XL1s) would probably be similarly priced and is generally agreed to be a better camera--sharper, more image controls, 24P (very important for getting a more cinematic look), stellar audio. I have an XL2, also nice, probably pricier than a DVX---but I much like the DVX series.

All of these are standard def, not high def, in case you were wondering.

Nicholas Burke July 12th, 2010 11:42 AM

Well when I bought the camera I wasnt really that well informed on cameras at the time. I saw the test videos done by the camera and I thought it was really good quality. Recently ive been watching some videos online and realizing how much better everything has gotten. I still plan on sticking with this camera though. My budget is a lil low right now. Thats cuase im still paying back my dad currently for helping me purchase the camera. I work at Applebees so the pay isnt the greatest...especially for saving money. I think im going to buy Sony Vegas since its the closest one in my budget. Every other program and such seems to be in the $500's so If im gonna be paying thta kind of money ill more then likely be purchasing Adobe CS5 production Suite. I understand SD can only get so much quality but is it still possible to get quality good enough for project standards such as things like music videos and PSA's and the such?

Chris Hurd July 12th, 2010 06:16 PM

Hi Nicholas, I can appreciate your situation, believe me. However, the reality is that all serious music video and PSA work these days is pretty much exclusively High Definition. If you're shooting for web-only delivery, then standard definition might still have some limited time left.

Burk Webb July 12th, 2010 09:14 PM

"I'm making my portfolio for the University of Central Florida and they require you have a batch of videos that proves you have talent in film before you can get accepted into their Film academy. I would really like to know if the XL1s was a good choice for a beginning director/cinematographer."

So are you competing with other students to get a spot in the film program?

I ask because I'm guessing that some (or possibly a bunch) of prospective student projects will be done on DSLRs. I'm a fan of "going with what ya' got", I mean Danny Boyle did pretty well with the XL1, but that is a pretty old camera. If your competing with students that are shooting projects on DSLRs I think you may be at a disadvantage. In general they will be able to achieve a look you just wont be able to get out of the venerable old XL1.

Now, If the University is just looking for competency then I think the XL1 will be fine. I'm sure they understand that prospective students don't have access to all the latest and greatest tools and they will be pretty forgiving of standard def work as long as all the hallmarks (composition/lighting/etc) are there.

Josh Bass July 12th, 2010 09:51 PM

Can I just chime in and say Vegas is AWESOME? I used it for a long time. I was last on v6, so I have no idea what's going on with it now. Powerful, intuitive, easy to use and learn. No comment on Adobe. . .have not used it.

Jack Barker July 13th, 2010 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burk Webb (Post 1547977)
If your competing with students that are shooting projects on DSLRs I think you may be at a disadvantage.

Not if his stuff well-lit and well-shot, he's not. I have seen miles of student footage, and most of it is absolute crap. If it's all about the camera – DSLR, or otherwise – then we're all doomed, and Nicholas shouldn't want to go to that school anyway. If he's followed the rules about composition, lighting, and motion, etc., then I would hope that he has a pretty good shot.

Nicholas Burke July 17th, 2010 04:05 PM

Alright guys. Thank you all very much for the tips. I think I'm just going to go with what i got and try my best. Hopefully I will get it in!