DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Head Cleaning Cassette Tape (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/4910-head-cleaning-cassette-tape.html)

Jeff Donald January 24th, 2003 03:57 PM

Also, use the search function in the upper right. Cleaning tapes and methods have been discussed before. There is some good info in the prior posts.

Jeff

Nathan Gifford January 26th, 2003 09:23 AM

You will also want to stick to one brand of tape as this lessens tracking problems. I also run a pass of head cleaner if I must use a different brand of tape.

Ryan Douglas September 27th, 2005 01:26 PM

XL1-S head cleaning

I am getting ready to clean the heads on my XL1-S for the first time (at least since I have owned it). Can anyone reccomend a good head cleaning kit? Are there any tips or things I need to be aware of to get the best results?

Thanks

Mike Teutsch September 27th, 2005 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Douglas
I am getting ready to clean the heads on my XL1-S for the first time (at least since I have owned it). Can anyone reccomend a good head cleaning kit? Are there any tips or things I need to be aware of to get the best results?

Thanks

Buy one of the dry head cleaning tapes at most any store that sells DV tapes. Follow the directions in the manual, which I think says to run the tape for 6 seconds, and repeat if necessary. It is not recommended to use any wet cleaning methods. Do not over use the cleaning tape, as it will wear on the heads.

Also, a search on this forum will turn up previous posts on this issue.

Here is one: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...Cleaning+tapes

Mike

Nelson Dewey September 28th, 2005 12:08 PM

How often?

I bought a head-cleaning kit, but it strongly recommends not to use it until there are dropouts or other problems.

I've also heard some people clean the heads every so many hours (5?) as preventive maintenance.

Any thoughts from either camp?

Nelson

Mike Teutsch September 28th, 2005 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch

See this thread.

Mike

Don Palomaki September 29th, 2005 04:28 AM

An interesting thread. Some good information, some bad information, lots of speculation.

Best advice, follow the instructions in the manual. Any quality (e.g., name brand) dry cleaning tape will work. (I use a Sony because that is what my tape supplier had in stock and it works well for me.)

Head crud problems usually show up on playbck before they show up on record, so the start of occasional mosaic errors on play back is a good indicator that cleaning is indicated. Also, if you change tape brand/type after a steady diet of one brand, then a cleaning is probably a good idea. This is because using a different tape may result in deposits left by the previous brand breaking free and moving about.

Some people have reported complete record failures - often in conjunction with borrowed machines. Implies lack of maintenance or hard use of the borrowed machine by its owner, and perhaps issues that may be associated with a changeing tape type.

Simon Duncan December 22nd, 2006 03:41 PM

Head Cleaning Tapes

I need to buy a head cleaning tape. Does it matter what brand one uses?

Does anybody who is in France know of a place where I can purchase a head cleaning tape?

Per Johan Naesje December 22nd, 2006 03:56 PM

I will advise you to use the same brand as your tapes.

Don Palomaki December 30th, 2006 09:16 AM

In general, any brand of MiniDV dry head claning tape shold work OK.

Tom Hardwick December 30th, 2006 10:02 AM

Yes, any brand will do. They're labelled as head cleaners because that's all they do. They do nothing for the guides, rollers, capstan and pinch roller (9 components in a Mini DV deck) some of which revolve at the same relative speed as the passing cleaning tape, and it's these components that deserve your close attention every so often. Remember that simply recording one hour of DV means that 70 metres of tape pass through the mechanism.

tom.