DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Frame Mode Output Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/50821-frame-mode-output-question.html)

Marco Wagner September 9th, 2005 07:30 PM

Frame Mode Output Question

If I shoot footage in 'frame mode' on my XL1s, in post should I then choose progressive as an output option in my NLE or leave it interlaced?

Mathieu Ghekiere September 10th, 2005 06:25 AM

I tried both, and progressive looked better on the computer screen, because with interlaced it looked like I had almost invisable (but still visable) horizontal lines (but not like the usual interlacing lines) and when I export in progressive, I didn't had these. But it could be that on a television screen they both look the same.
I do have to mention I have a PAL XL1s, so mine was 25p, and not 30p.
I would say: try to export a minute in both ways, and look if you see a difference, and if so, what you like the best.
Best regards,

Rob Lohman September 13th, 2005 03:11 AM

Your complete workflow should remain progressive for optimal look:

- project settings
- footage settings
- export settings

Good luck!

Mathieu Ghekiere September 13th, 2005 04:33 AM

But Rob, to capture, you have to put your NLE in interlaced, though? Because it isn't really progressive?

Kin Kwan September 13th, 2005 01:11 PM

What NLE are you using? For Adobe Premiere, if you export your clip as "interlaced," it'll just spit out the video whereas "progressive" will try to deinterlace your clip. Since your video was recorded in frame mode and no deinterlacing is necessary, I suggest leaving it in "interlaced."

Marco Wagner September 13th, 2005 07:32 PM

Premiere Pro 1.5
4:3
final output for DVD

Rob says progressive
Kin says interlaced

That's one vote for each, lol. I guess I'll be trying a bi-directional test then. I was hoping someone had already had this issue.

Rob Lohman September 15th, 2005 01:34 PM

It should be progressive. You can't do a progressive or interlaced capture with
DV. DV is always captured as is. Progressive footage is not interlaced. It is just
stored as an interlaced signal in DV (which is something different). Keep
everything progressive if you want progressive. Simple as that.

Kin Kwan September 15th, 2005 03:46 PM

Marco, which export option are you using in Premiere Pro 1.5? When I go to File > Export Movie > Settings > Keyframe and Rendering, I only see the options "No fields (Progressive Scan), Upper Field First, and Lower Field First" and nothing about Interlaced. There's a "Deinterlace" check box, but if your footage is progressive, you shouldn't have to mess with that.

My DV3000U has a pseudo progressive mode and I've always left the options at 'No fields (Progressive Scan)' and the 'Deinterlace' box unchecked when I export.

Marco Wagner September 15th, 2005 07:00 PM

I think the default option is Upper Field first. I have always left it at that.

Kin Kwan September 15th, 2005 09:45 PM

I just did a quick test by exporting one of my progressive clips with the 'Upper Field First' setting and the 'No Fields (Progressive Scan)' setting. It seems like 'No Fields (Progressive Scan)' is what you need. Run a test for yourself and you'll see what I mean.

Marco Wagner September 16th, 2005 05:45 PM

Hey great, I'll give that a try tonight. Thanks a bunch!

Hugh DiMauro September 29th, 2005 12:28 PM

Interlaced NTSC DV is always lower field first. Lower field first.

Lower field first.

Kin Kwan September 29th, 2005 02:04 PM

Hugh, according to Marco, he's working on progressive footages which means there aren't any fields.

Hugh DiMauro September 30th, 2005 08:00 AM

A ha! Of course. Then, when in progresive, the option of lower or upper should be shaded?

Kin Kwan September 30th, 2005 08:33 AM

Nah, it's not shaded. Like I said in my 2nd to last post, you have to set it to "No Fields (Progressive Scan)."

Dennis Wood September 30th, 2005 09:15 AM

Just curious here. Frame mode is stored as interlaced just as progressive is. When outputing in PP1.5 you have the option to output as progressive or interlaced. What is the difference between interlaced output (no deinterlace) and choosing progressive. Aren't they the same thing for NTSC footage?