DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   LCD Screen (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/52671-lcd-screen.html)

Andy Peterson October 12th, 2005 06:17 PM

LCD Screen

Ok, this may be a little far fetched, but I had to ask.

I have two Samsung SCD-107 soccer mom camcorders.

They are horrible little things, but have these big beautiful 3.5 inch LCD screens on them.

Has anyone ever figured out the wiring and used something like this as a monitor for an XL1S?

I'd prefer some professional advice before I start tearing in to these things.

Thanks!

...Andy

Justine Haupt October 13th, 2005 09:06 PM

Wow, I'm thinking about doing the same thing (unfortunately I'm also looking for info on this), but please, if anyone knows anything about it speak up!

Andy Peterson October 16th, 2005 10:29 AM

hmm...

Well, I guess I will be a pioneer and attempt this on my own.

No one has any input whatsoever?

I'm going to give it a day, and then tomorrow: it's on.

...Andy

Curtis Leo October 18th, 2005 04:53 PM

You can't easily rip a LCD off any camcorder and make it into a "line-in" lcd monitor. Most of them run off a specific lcd driver chip. Most are "digital" from the video processor chip directly into the LCD driver chip. No analog. If you do decide to do this, you can build a coverter circuit to do this.

another way, use the line-in feature of the camcorder. You'll just have to carry two cameras.

Curtis

Justine Haupt November 3rd, 2005 08:38 AM

Using line in on the other camera's a pretty good idea... to get around having a whole other camera, I should think the casing could be removed and the inards stripped as much as possible to stick the whole thing in a smaller, mountable case. Things like the lens and CCD and the tape deck take up a lot of space, and that can all be removed.

Don Palomaki November 4th, 2005 05:54 AM

How to do it.

1. Buy the service manuals from the Canon and Samsung machines so you can hopefully develop an understanding of how the LCD panels communicate with the rest of the camcorder. Perhaps a $100 investment.

2. Determine what signal translation is required between the signals the XL1 outputs and what the Samsung panel expects to receive.

3. Build the necessary adapters and translators circuits.

4. If you use anything other thatnthe analog video output (or peerhaps the XL1s CVF output jack signals, void any remaining warranty on the camcorder.

Just looking quickly at what it would take to put a GL1 LCD panel on an XL1, (all Canon, should be simple, right?). It is not simple drop-in, would rquire extensive signal conversions, and would in all probability be cheaper, neater, and a lot faster to buy a low cost LCD monitor if your time is worth anything.