DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   firewire dv capture (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/617-firewire-dv-capture.html)

Jerry Bixman January 5th, 2002 02:00 PM

firewire dv capture

My Pinnacle DV500, Adobe 5.1 combination does not support firewire transfer of XL1s. Before purchasing my XL1s I did due dilegence and borrowed an xl1 to check compatability, all worked fine. Most firewire cards I have looked at specify compatability with XL1 not XL1s. Has anyone had success with the Pinnacle DV200 card? Can anyone suggest another card that they have used successfully. I plan to update to Adobe 6.01, does the DV200 work with 6.01 and XL1s? I seem to be stuck in the middle of a mfg p*ssing match.

Thanks
Jerry

John Coons January 6th, 2002 11:51 PM

I have a XL1s, Adobe Premiere 6.01, and a Pinnacle DV500 card. Capture worked fine, but when I tried to write the Timeline out to the XL1s it was a total failure... screen went black and I had to Ctl/Alt/Delete. Checking the Pinnacle website, I saw that they had a Version 3 of the Pinnacle software that fixed several problems, including problems specifically with the XL1s. So I downloaded and installed v3, but it did not help! After reading lots of the posts on the Pinnacle site, I learned a VERY IMPORTANT fact about Pinnacle software: you MUST completely uninstall Adobe and Pinnacle, clean the registry, then reload Adobe (and upgrade it from the version 6.0 on the CD to v6.01 downloaded from the Adobe website), then download and install the DV500v3 Pinnacle software. (The Pinnacle site has instructions on these steps under "Adobe Premiere 6 and DV500 plus upgrade instructions.") I uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe and Pinnacle v3 and the capture and write to the XL1s worked perfectly! (I also noticed that the Pinnacle software no longer referred to the connected camera as a "Canon DV" - it now was known as a "XL1S.") Hope this helps.

John

Jerry Bixman January 7th, 2002 12:13 AM

Thank you for your reply John, I will proceed as you suggested, I am grateful for you help

Jerry

Jerry Bixman January 7th, 2002 10:52 AM

John, could you tell me which version of windows you have had your success with.

Jerry

Steve Kim January 7th, 2002 01:30 PM

Use at least Window98 SE

I tried to work Premire 6.0 and Pinnacle DV200+ its Firewire card
in Window98, but I failed.
I found I need at least Window98 SE for Premire 6.0 capturing.
If you read IEEE 1394 Troubleshooting guide in Premire 6.0,
you will see what I mean.

I returned DV200 and upgrade my OS to Window98 SE.
Then, I installed a $30.00 CompUSA firewire card and
choose a stanard MS IEEE card device driver.

And I installed Premire 6.0.
Device control and Capture work great between XL1S and
Premire 6.0.

John Coons January 7th, 2002 02:14 PM

Jerry,

I am running Windows 98 SE. I would be very leery of running any earlier version of Win 98 even if I were not using Pinnacle... Win 98 SE is VERY solid. My hardware is a Dell 4100 733Mhz Pentium III, 384 MB of memory, two IBM Deskstar 7200 RPM hard drives - "C" is 45 GB, "D" used for all my DV files is 75 GB.

If you upgrade Pinnacle to DV500_V3 (I used the "small install") be sure you follow the instructions about "deleting shared files" when you uninstall Adobe and Pinnacle. Also, CLEAN THE REGISTRY. If you don't, you can end up with remnants of Pinnacle v2 drivers/software that will prevent version 3 from installing properly.

John

Jerry Bixman January 11th, 2002 02:04 AM

Thanks John, just bought Premiere 6.0 will upgrade to 6.01 and have installed Win 98se, waiting arrival of adobe will follow your instructions.

Jerry