DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Polarizing Filters for the XL1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/835-polarizing-filters-xl1.html)

bingalls January 31st, 2002 06:58 PM

Polarizing Filters for the XL1

I'm about to invest in a polarizing filter for my XL1. Does anyone have input on:

1) Using circular vs linear polarizers on the XL1 both with and without auto-focus?

2) Brands of filters and experiences?

3) What about the Hoya "Moose" polarizer that adds an 81A to a polarizer for "warmth". Anyone tried this on an XL1?

Thanks

Don Williamson February 1st, 2002 11:00 AM

I recently got a Tamron circular polarizer for use with my XL1. It's reasonably good quality. Of course Tiffen and others make decent polarizers. It's safest just to go with a circular polarizer, though some have said a linear is all you need with the XL1. Some camera stores only carry circular polarizers these days. I did not opt for the warming polarizing filter because the XL1 video is already warm in tone. The Sony's would benefit more from the warming filter. I'm looking forward to using the circular polarizer. I got it for Christmas, so I haven't really used it much yet. Under the right conditions, a polarizing filter can make a stunning difference in your video. You can't achieve in post production what a polarizer can do.

Bill Markel February 1st, 2002 11:04 AM

Bingalls,

I'm a newbie with the XL1s, but I recently purchased a Tiffen Warm Polarizer and have been very pleased with the results. I have done several interior and exterior test shots with and without the filter. The difference is quite noticeable. This filter does real well with warming flesh tones and bringing out the color of the sky. I shoot just about everything in manual focus, but I haven't had a problem using the filter with auto-focus. I bought mine from Chris's sponsor ZGC.

Hope this helps,
Bill

Takeshi Fukushima February 2nd, 2002 07:45 AM

Cirlular Filters.

If you use a Circular Polarise Filter for the xl1, do you take off the hood? or do you guys have Matte boxxes?
Takeshi

Bill Markel February 2nd, 2002 09:26 AM

Takeshi,

I am using 72mm filters, so I always leave my lense hood on. If you are using the polarizer in conjunction with a UV filter, you may find it easier to remove the hood when you are taking the polarizer off of the lense. This way you can keep hold of the UV filter to keep that from coming off as well.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Rob Lohman February 2nd, 2002 10:14 AM

I've shot some nice test footage with the circular
polarizer (i got the canon filter set) with a car
window. Quiet nice. I usually remove the hood
when attaching, detaching and turning the filter.
After it is setup i screw back the hood.