DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Need help with XL1s setup (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/88262-need-help-xl1s-setup.html)

Tony Sellars March 6th, 2007 06:57 AM

Need help with XL1s setup

First- hope this doesn't go in "Now hear this", I wanted input from actual XL1s owners. Here is my current setup. XL1s, Azden 100 mics with xlr's, Studio 1-XLR BP3 adapter (which has direct line to 1/8 mic input on camera). I do not have ma-200 or ma-100. Here is what I want to do- I'm looking to buy ENG- 44 mixer to upgrade my sound and mixing capabilities- need to use at least 3 mics. The ENG-44 will allow 4. Question- what is the best way to get from ENG-44 to camera? If I purchase a ma-100 or 200 will that help? Can I go directly from 44 to camera 1/8 with direct line? I know these are stupid questions to some but we really need help. Thanks

Don Palomaki March 6th, 2007 07:10 PM

I've not used the ENG-44, my comments are based on the on-line info on the box.

Per the spec the ENG-44 has a Auxiliary 1/8" unbalanced mic level stereo output jack. You should be able to connect this output directly to the 1/8" mic input jack on the XL1s - if it really is mic level. (You may find using the MIC ATT setting works best on the XL1s)

That should be ok if the mixer is kept within, say, 10 feet or so of the camcorder. (The short distance is due to the possibility of stray electrical noise pcikup.) For significantly longer distances, or if shooting in an electrically noisy environment, you probably should use balanced cables and feed the signal through your XLR BP3 to teh XL1s.

Tony Sellars March 6th, 2007 09:57 PM

Thanks Don, that helps. I also purchased a ma-100 today. That should give me other options.

Waldemar Winkler April 10th, 2007 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Palomaki (Post 637265)
I've not used the ENG-44, my comments are based on the on-line info on the box.

Per the spec the ENG-44 has a Auxiliary 1/8" unbalanced mic level stereo output jack. You should be able to connect this output directly to the 1/8" mic input jack on the XL1s - if it really is mic level. (You may find using the MIC ATT setting works best on the XL1s)

That should be ok if the mixer is kept within, say, 10 feet or so of the camcorder. (The short distance is due to the possibility of stray electrical noise pcikup.) For significantly longer distances, or if shooting in an electrically noisy environment, you probably should use balanced cables and feed the signal through your XLR BP3 to teh XL1s.

2nd these comments.

I use a Behringer 4 CH mic mixer quite often. This particular mixer only has 1/4" main outs which are definitely hi-level signals. Some mixers with 1/4" main outs have a mic/line switch on the main outs. This one doesn't. I have two solutions to this problem.
1st, I use a Sign Video (similar to, if not better than the BeachTek variety, IMHO). Of course, this means adapting the 1/4" main outs to 1/8".
2nd, I purchase 1/4" F to XLR-M impedance matching transformers from Radio Shack at about $8-$10 each. These mechanical adapters contain a small passive transformer that (depending upon the direction of signal travel) either reduces or increases impedance by a fixed amount, which puts one in the ball park of acceptability.

As Don indicated, avoid running a high level signal more than 10'. 6' or less is better. A low level, balanced signal can go for distances that sometimes seem like forever. I've run audio on balanced cable 1000' and more with no problems. Even, (and I know it sounds crazy) sent composite video over balanced mic cable. Couldn't win any ribbons for quality, but it did work.