DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Extending XL1s mike (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/91001-extending-xl1s-mike.html)

Andy Paul April 8th, 2007 11:29 AM

Extending XL1s mike

I asked this question a few years ago and nobody knew the answer, so , I thought I would try again seeing as everyone here is a now a few years wiser !

I cannot really afford a new mike but I do need to be able to record fairly good quality sound. Is there anywhere where I can buy extension leads to use on the mike that comes with the camera. I need the mike to be about 5 foot from the camera but the connections are not your usual connections. Does anyone know the sizes or names of these connections that I can qoute to the local electronics store.

If all else fails, any good budget shotgun mikes out there ?

Thanks everyone

Don Palomaki April 8th, 2007 03:36 PM

The required mic leads are comprised ot two cables:

One is a 2.5 mm mono sub-mini phone plug/jack cable. It provides the 5 DCD for the mic.

The other is a 3.5 mm stereo mini plug/jack cable that carries the unbalanced stereo (left and right) audio signal from the mic, and the ground. This cable should be shielded.

Your extension cable should have the plugs at one end and the jacks at the other end. To minimize noise pick-up, do not make it longer than you will need.

As to good buget shotgun mics - depends on your budget, application, and how critical you are. In general there are reasonable shotgun mics available at modest prices, If you specify a budget and application, flolks may be able to give suggestions. Before you buy, sure you understand what a shotgun mic does, and what it does not do.

And check out the Now Hear This forum posts.

Andrew Paul April 14th, 2007 03:32 AM

Thanks for the advice. I bought myself a 5 meter 3.5mm stereo extension lead and had to make up a 2.5mm mono extension lead for the power. It works perfectly, I can now have the mike 5 meters from camera. I used good quality cable and connectors. There will almost certainly a drop in audio quality but my ears cant hear it and the bars showing input level is the same.

Now I have time to save up for a decent shotgun mike.

Many Thanks

Adrian J. Hare April 22nd, 2007 06:12 AM

Do you think you could get 20 feet out of this idea and still have the Mic work well ? I only wish they made this extention so the time didn't need to put into it...

Waldemar Winkler April 22nd, 2007 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Bowman (Post 665036)
Do you think you could get 20 feet out of this idea and still have the Mic work well ? I only wish they made this extention so the time didn't need to put into it...

I would be willing to bet 50' is a better guess. The Stock mic is condenser. One can get a lot more distance from a powered mic than one can with a dynamic mic with unbalanced cable. I'm so focused and invested into XLR balanced cable I honestly haven't done any tests. Still, I've spent the last 25 years facing situations which demanded bending the rules in a big way. Always, always test, and then retest an hypothesis. Theory and reality do not neccessarily connect in a pleasing way.

Don Palomaki April 22nd, 2007 06:35 PM

The XL1 mic and input are low impedance, so the major distance issue will be pick up of stray electrical noise becaused it is unbalanced. Based on impedance alone 50 feet should not be a problem - except for posible noise pickup

Andrew Paul April 23rd, 2007 02:04 AM

If anyone happens to make a longer one, maybe they can post on here. Seems a good idea to have a not too bad mike that you can have 40-50 feet away and still get a decent sound. I used my 5 metre cable last week at an interview and it worked perfectly.

I wonder what the max distance you could have ?, any technical minded people out there fancy doing a calculation .......

Don Palomaki April 23rd, 2007 08:12 AM

The calculation requires a criteria for "too long" and a significant part of that is knowing the characteristics of the cable you are using, such as the cable resistance, capacitance, effectivenes of shielding, and how much signal degredation (noise, amplitude loss, and frequency rolloff) is acceptable. What might be acceptable for the voice of the man in the street is different from what would be acceptable for a flute solo ina concert hall.

Adrian J. Hare April 24th, 2007 06:31 AM

Thanks for the info guys,

Now because I'm not update on what I need to make a 20-30 foot cable lead for the canon on board Mic to extend, If I was to walk in or buy this stuff to do it What would I ask for ?

I have No idea what these parts and cable are called, but I could use this setup tomorrow morning really.

Thanks for the help, this board has helped me alot.

Don Palomaki April 24th, 2007 07:58 AM

The names of the parts are in earlier posts in this thread, and in other threads, but if you do not have basic electronics technician skills, like preparing and soldering small, fine wires, and the required tools, it will not help you much.

2.5 mm mono sub mini phone jack and plug for cable mounting
3.5 mm stereo mini phone jack and plug for cable mounting
two-conductor cable for power to fit the 2.5mm jack/plug (length you need)
a cable with two-shielded conductors for the mic audio signal to fit the 3.5mm jack/plug (length you need)

You may be able to find a suitable cable with all needed wires in one outer jacket at a good electronics parts store. I have no suggested source or part number.

Andrew Paul April 24th, 2007 10:23 AM

I asked for a 5 metre 3.5mm stereo extension lead and then had to make the 2.5mm (power cable myself).

If your store is really well stocked then all you need for the power is a 2.5mm mono extension lead which would be the same length as you 3.5mm cable.

Go for the best quality cable possible (affordable !)