DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   NEO HDV, HV20 and XHA1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/107544-neo-hdv-hv20-xha1.html)

Kevin Saitta November 9th, 2007 12:17 AM

NEO HDV, HV20 and XHA1

Ok,

Now that I have had time to play around with both camera and the software for capturing footage back to the hard drive I want to make sure I have the HDV software setup properly.

With the HV20 24P mode and XHA1 I am using 24F mode. I am then using the HV20 to capture footage from both cameras back to disk via a firewire cable and the HDLink software. The pref I have set are;

Capture Options
Automatically convert to Cineform Intermediate

Destination File Format for Capture and Conversion
AVI

CineForm Encoder Options
Quality High
Enable Smart Rendering checked ( I am using vegas 8 )
Frame format: Automatic

Frame Rate Change
Remove 3-2 Pulldown checked
Rate Change no change
Maintain Audio pitch ( checked )

Pre-Compression Filters

Resize Video ( none )
Keep source aspect ration ( checked )
Everything else unchecked.

Scene Detection
Split file on scene changes ( checked )

Does this look correct? Am I missing anything?

I am using the XHA1 as my main and the HV20 my B roll camera and playback unit.

In the XH I have not changed any of the settings under timecode and it is set to Frame Setting DROP, Frame Rate 24F , Signal HD

I just wanted to make sure everything was set right and that I had the Cineform software set correct.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Ian Hay November 9th, 2007 06:18 AM

I can't speak to the A1, but with respect to the HV20, your settings appear to match mine precisely when I capture/convert HV20 24p footage. I then bring the resulting 24p AVIs into a Vegas 24p timeline (using the "HDV 1080-24p (1440x1080, 23.976 fps)" template in the properties tab), and voila.

Kevin Saitta November 11th, 2007 06:34 AM

Hello Ian,

Thank you for the feedback. I have the XH set to the 24 mode and it seems to work fine also.

I tell you I am in love with Vegas, it is so powerful and an amazing tool.

Thanks again,

Kevin

David Newman November 11th, 2007 10:15 AM

For the A1 in 24F, you don't need 3-2 pull checked, as the frames are stored progressively on tape, whereas in the HV20 they are not.

Kevin Saitta November 11th, 2007 03:01 PM

Hello David,

Thanks! The thing is that with the A1 I am using the HV20 for playback, so I then I do not need to check the pull down right? I know it is probably a stupid question.

Thank you again,

Kevin

Chris Barcellos November 11th, 2007 08:34 PM

Kevin, I'm guessing no, because all you are doing at Capture is capturing a data stream. What David is saying is that for the A1, you already have a true 24p data stream, so pulldown removal is not required.

David Newman November 12th, 2007 10:31 AM

Chris is correct. It is the A1 source (whether played from HV20 or not) that is recorded as 24p, and doesn't require pulldown removal.

James Campbell November 13th, 2007 09:37 PM

I had a similar question: I taped a concert with a Sony V1U and a Canon HV20. When I'm capturing the footage onto my computer, Cineform identifies whether the camcorder is the V1U or the HV20. Would it make a difference with Cineform (or Vegas capture for that matter) if I placed the tape recorded with the V1U into the HV20 while capturing? It seems like from the above responses that it wouldn't matter.

David Newman November 13th, 2007 09:50 PM

Doesn't matter, however you can't put a XL-H1 recorded in 24F in a Sony V1U -- most other combinations work.