DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   M2T Export Advantages (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/111166-m2t-export-advantages.html)

Craig Irving December 29th, 2007 11:34 AM

M2T Export Advantages

I'm glad the M2T engine is back in because I feel it's the best way I can transfer my original footage from a DR60, remove pulldown, and export back to M2T and burn to DVD or BR media for offline storage.

I don't really want to print all this rough footage back to tape, nor would I want to burn the original M2T files without pulldown removed. So how much quality loss can one expect from doing this, and would it help to boost the CBR up to 30mbps instead of 25mbps coming from Cineform file. I know it's not HDV-Spec anymore, but it's just for backup.

What do others prefer for backup? And can I expect to save much space by backing up the 24P M2T exports rather than the 60i originals?

David Newman December 29th, 2007 11:53 AM

Don't do it. M2T is not a backup format, and the 24p export adds pulldown for HDV 25Mb/s compatibility. Archive AVIs, even exports to medium quality CineForm is significantly higher quality, and not that much bigger.

John McGinley December 29th, 2007 06:11 PM

One of the nice things about M2T though, is you can burn it on a DVD or copy it to a USB harddrive and play it back on a Playstation 3.

John Rich December 30th, 2007 12:41 PM

John,

I have heard that the external usb drive has to be formatted as FAT32 to be recognized by PS3. Is that your experience, since it would limit the size of the file you could play?

John Rich

Craig Irving December 30th, 2007 03:10 PM

That is true. But you can copy any file size straight to the PS3's hard drive and playback that way also. I have a bunch of M2T files playing back from the hard drive that are 15GB-20GB. But if you want to use an external hard drive, you are correct that it needs to be FAT32, which means no file sizes larger than 4GB.

It adds up since M2T is large, which is why I plan to upgrade my internal drive to the new 320GB drive that Western Digital just put out.

John Rich December 30th, 2007 03:31 PM

Craig,
Thanks. This will sound dumb, but how do you get the file from your computer to the PS3? I was thinking I might use some form of network into the internet connection on the PS3, but can that be done.
I appologize for not sticking to the Cineform topic here.
John

Craig Irving December 30th, 2007 03:51 PM

Yes, it's a bit of a predicament I suppose that this landed in the Cineform forum. I hope they will not mind if I answer you.

The way I get them onto the PS3 is over the network indeed. You install file server streaming software on the PC and access it through the web browser of the PS3. It lets you transfer over files of any sizes to save on the internal hard drive. People assume the file system on the PS3's internal hard drive is also FAT32 (like the external drives they must connect to it) but they are incorrect.

John Rich December 31st, 2007 07:43 AM

I appreciate your help. Since I am only using a small,3 computer network, would you recommend a streaming software. I have tried PS3 forums, but they are mostly concerned with gaming (which is certainly natural).
Thanks in advance.
John

Craig Irving December 31st, 2007 08:06 AM

Let's PM each other for all further discussion on this topic since it no longer applies to Cineform. You will have to enable your PM settings under the 'User Control Panel' of the site to allow this.

Carl Middleton December 31st, 2007 03:58 PM

Could you, maybe, start a new thread? :)

I'm rather interested in how this would work myself - possibly redesigning a friend's home entertainment/network system in a few months. I got permission to make it as badass as I felt the need. ;)

C