DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Error Downloading Codec and Other Tragedies (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/113017-error-downloading-codec-other-tragedies.html)

John Hewat January 23rd, 2008 09:16 PM

Error Downloading Codec and Other Tragedies

1 Attachment(s)
I'm as close to finally purchasing (Prospect) as ever. I've just got my super duper new computer and it flies and my EX1 is wonderful and now to complete the picture I want Prospect.

So I've downloaded the trial and have been using it.

Questions:

When I play a Cineform AVI in Windows Media Player, I get "Error Downloading Codec". It still plays (with a little exclaimation mark next to the file name) and it looks fine. VLan player does not play it at all. Why does Media Player tell me that it can't find the codec? Didn't I download it with my trial of Prospect?

I shot footage with my PMW-EX1 in 25p 1920x1080. I selected the appropriate preset: Prospect HD 1920x1080 25p and edit. When I export the movie however, the result appears to be interlaced! I exported using default settings the exact same clip (with no edits) as I imported and got a very strange result. I have attached a screenshot of the resulting export. Field Order is definitely set to "No Fields (Progressive Scan). What is causing this? And how do I fix it?

Also in the screenshot is a grab from the original MP4 straight from the EX1. None of the grabs are from the exact same timecode but they are within the same 25 frame span because I was only using one second of video for this test, and the picture qualities were consistent throughout all frames.

In my opinion, HDLink, when creating the Cineform AVIs, isadding exposure to the image. Looking at the original MP4, the detail (though not much) is still evident in the distance where the light is too exposed. In the Cineform AVIs however, it is blown out even further. This is evident also in the big hat. What is causing this? Is it normal?

These questions are now the only thing stopping me from purchasing.

Aaron Courtney January 23rd, 2008 10:24 PM

exposure

clearly visible in the label on the bottle as well.

David Newman January 24th, 2008 11:18 AM

Please send this sample MP4 file to tech support. The HDLink is correct and the transform is done in the YUV domain, so no data can be lost. The MP4 decode within CS3 seems to be using video system RGB, which increase RGB black to 16,16,16 and white to 235,235,235. The same data is within the CineForm files (use your color corrector) yet it is displayed correctly. The interlacing issue is the thing to be looked out, we need to see if there is a bug or a workflow mistake. Support is always at www.cineform.com/support

1.) Are you running Vista? WMP is not good, it has a bunch of issue (never seen that one though), gets worse with every version. VLAN/VLC doesn't support any third party codec. You want Media Player Classic. If that doesn't work, we need a support ticket to work out what is up with your PC.

John Hewat January 25th, 2008 10:58 PM

Well, don't ask me how, but the problem has gone away.

I have no idea how or why, but WMP no longer says "error downloading codec" and the video file that appeared to be interlaced no longer appears to be. Maybe I just hadnb't restarted after installing Prospect and so the codec hadn't been set up properly?

David Newman January 26th, 2008 12:09 AM

That good news, as this weirdness might have ruined my weekend.

John Hewat January 26th, 2008 01:43 AM

Mine too.

I'm about to purchase Prospect HD so hopefully my weekend is very positive!