DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   StreamPix4 with CineformRAW (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/113935-streampix4-cineformraw.html)

Anmol Mishra March 16th, 2008 06:32 PM

Understanding metadata

Perhaps my knowledge is limited on this..But in my post production, I have felt the need for using metadata..
If there is a digital file, every pixel comes with color information.. So how can this simplify "color work and applying 3D looks"
Is there an example you can describe so I can understand this advantage better ??
Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman (Post 843517)
I don't know if Blackmagic support real-time playback of third party codecs, but otherwise you description is correct.

Color information is carried as metadata (it is real cool, and get cooler), in the free decoder you can turn the metadata off or on, but you can't make changes to the metadata. So you still do tranditional color correction as if where any other file type. With the full editing tools you can alter the metadata to simplify color work and applying 3D Looks (full secondary color profiles) to your media.

David Newman March 16th, 2008 06:48 PM

This is all very new. If you are using the SI-2K, you wouldn't want to give it up, but if you haven't had these features before you will likely not miss them. Currently StreamPix doesn't use the metadata features upon capture, so this is likely less important to you. Even the simpliest metadata such as white balance and encoding curves, can be very useful for compositing work.

Charles Achilefu March 17th, 2008 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman (Post 843561)
This is all very new. If you are using the SI-2K, you wouldn't want to give it up, but if you haven't had these features before you will likely not miss them. Currently StreamPix doesn't use the metadata features upon capture, so this is likely less important to you. Even the simpliest metadata such as white balance and encoding curves, can be very useful for compositing work.

David Hi.
In effect are you saying the cineform/streampix workflow is not suitable for Comp/Postwork?
Is there a workaround for this lack of metadata?
Is it possible to convince Norpix to add this feature?
Thank you.

Anmol Mishra March 17th, 2008 03:26 AM

Huffyuv vs cineform

Hi David. I am on the HV20 forum too and was thinking of buying NeoHDV for the pulldown and quality..

However, it looks as if I need to pay for a Cineform RAW license for Streampix to use with an HD GigE or IIDC camera + need a separate license to access all the data..

Is that correct ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman (Post 843561)

David Newman March 17th, 2008 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Achilefu (Post 843688)
David Hi.
In effect are you saying the cineform/streampix workflow is not suitable for Comp/Postwork?
Is there a workaround for this lack of metadata?
Is it possible to convince Norpix to add this feature?
Thank you.

Not at all. It is completely suitable. You can alter metadata like white balance in our post tools using Prospect 2K/4K. Yes it will be nice if you could set metadata during capture, but that would make StreamPix only the second tool to do so, after the Silicon Imaging capture software (used by SI-2K.)

David Newman March 17th, 2008 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anmol Mishra (Post 843711)
Hi David. I am on the HV20 forum too and was thinking of buying NeoHDV for the pulldown and quality..

However, it looks as if I need to pay for a Cineform RAW license for Streampix to use with an HD GigE or IIDC camera + need a separate license to access all the data..

Is that correct ?

NEO HDV doesn't come with a RAW license, so you should get NEO 4K or Prospect 2K/4K, and you get all the features in one package -- RAW compression and pulldown removal for cameras like the HV20.

Luc Nocente March 21st, 2008 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman (Post 843796)
Not at all. It is completely suitable. You can alter metadata like white balance in our post tools using Prospect 2K/4K. Yes it will be nice if you could set metadata during capture, but that would make StreamPix only the second tool to do so, after the Silicon Imaging capture software (used by SI-2K.)

Answer from Philippe Candelier, CTO at NorPix:

StreamPix can add 4 types of meta data within the AVI file when capturing and pushing the raw images to the CineForm codec:
- Encoding quality
- Bayer pattern type
- RGB color balance
- LUT curve correction: Linear, gamma or log, where a slope ratio can be defined

Those values can be enter via the following "codec setting" dialog:

ie: I can not post the dialog gui in question because the page wont allow me to paste it. IF you want to see it email me at ln@norpix.com

Luc Nocente March 21st, 2008 10:13 PM

By the way, if any of you are interested to know.

In addition to being able to record from a single chip GigE or FirewireB CCD HD camera using the Cineform codec we also now support the Toshiba (1080i) 1K HD1 HD TV 3 chip color camera using the Cineform codec.

http://www.norpix.com/press_release/2008_02_11.php

This camera requires an HD SDI frame grabber which we support. Using this combination of StreamPix, framer grabber, camera and codec you can acquire in
real time to a single disk.

Over the next couple of days I'll be releasing more information on various options available such as desktop or portable computer along with either compressed or uncompressed solutions.

Anmol Mishra March 22nd, 2008 06:07 PM

I'm sold

That tips my decision.. Also, can I buy AspectHD and upgrade to Prospect 2K. I was going to start recording with an HV20 and film a teaser/trailer. The actual film would be recorded with a MVC camera and then I would upgrade to Prospect 2K.

Hope thats OK!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman (Post 843798)
NEO HDV doesn't come with a RAW license, so you should get NEO 4K or Prospect 2K/4K, and you get all the features in one package -- RAW compression and pulldown removal for cameras like the HV20.

Jason Rodriguez March 25th, 2008 07:10 AM

You can see a nice demo of Prospect2K and working with RAW footage metadata here:

http://www.siliconimaging.com/Digita...ierePro_1.html

Thanks,

Jason

David Taylor March 25th, 2008 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anmol Mishra (Post 846850)
Also, can I buy AspectHD and upgrade to Prospect 2K. I was going to start recording with an HV20 and film a teaser/trailer. The actual film would be recorded with a MVC camera and then I would upgrade to Prospect 2K.

Yes, no problem. You can upgrade from AHD to P2K directly on our site with full credit for the then-applicable MSRP for AHD.

Anmol Mishra July 21st, 2008 03:12 AM

3D Recording with Blackmagic Intensity or other hardware

For Luc (Norpix) or David (Cineform) -
I have NeoHD and it works great. My next project is to implement a 3D camera. Now Blackmagic On-Air can mix 2 HDMI signals and support an auto sync. It seems to be some sort of a genlock for cameras that do not support.

Is it possible to use either of these configurations to record the HDMI signal simultaneously for a 3D stereo recording ?

a. Cineform HDLink + 2 x Blackmagic Intensity cards (2 instances of HDLink recording to separate HDDs in FilmScan 1)

b. Streampix 3 or 4 with 2 x Blackmagic Intensity cards using Cineform for recording.

I understand I may need a motherboard with a Quad Core CPU that has 2 separate physical buses for both the Intensity cards.

David Taylor July 21st, 2008 08:11 AM

Anmol,

There is no problem with the underlying technology to allow the 3D recording app you're talking about. A Quadcore CPU, from a performance perspective, will allow simultaneous recordings of two streams using two instances of the CineForm encoder. The OS can easily make multiple instances of the CineForm encoder active.

The bigger issue is the system software that exists above the CineForm encoders that provides proper synchronization and proper driver support for multiple cards. Further, you must verify that you can run multiple instances of the Intensity drivers without conflict. You'll have to check with BM about this.

Today Wafian provides a stereo recording capability using two instances of the CineForm encoder. But the source for this is a single Xena 2K card which has a stereo input mode. When using separate HDMI cards you'll have additional work to ensure synchronization.

Serge Victorovich December 16th, 2008 09:17 AM

StreamPix now supports IRIDAS 3D LUT for HDTV recording

SmallPix: Small Form Factor Recorder

* GigE Vision and 1394B compatible.
* Record to solid state drives or RAM
* Record with 2 HDTV or GigE Vision cameras simultaneously with StreamPix4 and CineForm compression
* Record from 1 HDTV or GigE Vision compatible camera in uncompressed format
* Compatible with lossy JPEG compression with 80% quality.
* Touch screen compatible
* Run StreamPix, CineForm Codec and Windows XP from a Compact flash drive
* Record to USB memory stick using CineForm compression
* Iridas 3D LUT support

CineForm compression: High quality compression available with StreamPix3 or StreamPix4
HDTV camera 1920 x 1080 x 8 bits x 30 fps 4MBytes/sec
GigE vision 640 x 480 bits x 8 bit x 200 fps 3MBytes/sec
GigE vision 640 x 480 bits x 8 bit x 90 fps 1.5MBytes/sec