DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   How's the deinterlacing in Aspect? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/120107-hows-deinterlacing-aspect.html)

Mike Behrens April 23rd, 2008 11:21 AM

How's the deinterlacing in Aspect?

I will be shooting 60i with a Canon HV20. Should I convert to deinterlaced footage when I am converting to Cineform? Or, should I deinterlace when I output form Premiere?

What about Magic Bullet frames?

Any thought would be helpful.

Thank you

David Newman April 23rd, 2008 11:34 AM

What is your intended output? Why are you shooting interlaced when you have a progressive mode on that camera?

Mike Behrens April 23rd, 2008 12:48 PM

Hi David,

I understand that I can shoot 24P (in 60i) with this camera, but I heard that it is really blurry when shooting in low light and/or fast motion. So, I thought I would stick with 60i for some sporting events and some theater performances that I will be shooting.

My output will ultimately be to flash 640x360 square pixels, which is why I will need to deinterlace.

Should I just scrap 60i altogether and stick with 24p?

Thanks,

-Mike Behrens-

David Newman April 23rd, 2008 01:09 PM

The only reason to shoot 60i is for the smooth motion, but if deinterlace you will lose that. Same for bluriness, if you shoot badly, a deinterlace will not help fix the motion. As for low light handing the 24p should do better than 60i. 24p normally has 1/48th shutter and 60i 1/60th, you collect 25% more light in the 24p mode.

William Middleton April 23rd, 2008 01:26 PM

Try experimenting. Shoot some footage in 60i and capture it, then shoot some in 24p. I have an HV-30 and shoot in 24p, and although the picture can be a little jittery in fast motion (and very jittery in low light), the pictures are really amazing quality given adequate light.

Mike Behrens April 24th, 2008 02:27 PM

Thanks guys.

I will be practicing and experimenting this weekend.

-Mike-

Pete Bauer April 24th, 2008 03:16 PM

Given the low resolution of your final output, I'd think you can use whichever mode suits you. At less than half the original resolution, you should be able to de-interlace if needed at whatever point in the process you want and it will still look fine.

If you want to easily do some 50% slow motion shots, capture as shot in 60i and then you can just change the speed on the timeline. Basically each field then becomes a half-rez frame but you shouldn't really notice any difference between 50% slo mo and normal speed when exporting to 640x360 that started out at 1440x1080 (max AspectHD resolution). Obviously, slow mo done that way won't look good exported at HD resolutions, though.

David rightly points out the standard shutter speed for the frame rates. Our eyes are attuned to that, so with 24p you'd normally use 1/48th and for 30p or 60i we use the standard shutter of 1/60th. But you don't HAVE to do it that way... haven't tried it yet with my new little HF10 so I'm only assuming the same is true on the smaller cameras as on the XH and XL cameras: the exposure doesn't actually vary with the camera mode (24p vs 60i) but rather with the particular shutter speed. F4.0 and 1/60th in 60i has the same exposure as F4.0 and 1/60th in 24p -- it just is that we typically shoot 1/48th to get the same motion blur we're used to with 24fps footage.

But of course, experiment before shooting the event.

Mike Behrens April 25th, 2008 11:36 AM

So,

I could shoot 24p with a 1/60 shutter speed if I didn't want so much motion blur?

I understand that the motion blur is more 'filmic', but I don't want that for some things like my daughter's baseball game. Do I?

For instance, I taped my other daughter's piano recital in 24p with 1/48th shutter speed. Everything looked great except the part when she walks up to the piano. It didn't look film-like to me. It just looked very dreamy.

Pete Bauer April 25th, 2008 12:47 PM

You'll have to experiment a little and see what works best for your purposes. The faster the shutter speed beyond the traditional "180 degree shutter," the more staccato, or "stop action" the look will be and the more light you'll need to get the shot, but the less motion blur. The slower the shutter, you're trading motion blur for shooting lower light.

One simple trick, if you've got the lighting to allow a faster shutter but if you find the video has too much staccato...a motion blur filter can be applied in post if your software supports (can't remember if PPro has that filter, or if it is AE only).