DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   CFHD Export fails on 32 bit filters (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/137539-cfhd-export-fails-32-bit-filters.html)

Robert Young November 10th, 2008 07:12 PM

CFHD Export fails on 32 bit filters

I have done a bunch of CF 1080x1920 PPro CS3.2 projects with no problem.
Suddenly I am getting "Failure to Conform" error on CF export of CF 1080 60i timeline (10 min sequence) to CFHD 1080 60i AVI. The log says there is a failure to render the clips with CS3 Fast Color Correction, and those with CF 32 bit Levels Correction. The export does produce a full length playable avi, but in addition to problems with CC and Levels, many of the crossfades are dropped and black video is displayed in their place. I'm using Prospect 3.4.3 b 183, same as I used on a 45 min 1080 30p project 2 weeks ago with no difficulty.
Would appreciate any ideas as I am dead in the water right now.
Thanks

David Newman November 10th, 2008 09:01 PM

These are Premiere memory issues, many get addressed in CS4, HD 32-bit float frames are just bigger that Premiere seemed to have budgeted for in larger projects. Things to try:
1) get the latest build (3.4.5.186), it is more memory efficient and faster as the same time.
2) If you still have issues, split your project in two, deleted from the timeline and clips bin any unused elements from each half of the export. This is the approach for feature work, breaking the project into 15-20 minute reels. Premiere is ineffecinent in store clip data, use RAM up the couple be used for computing HD frames.
3) If you have 4GB of RAM on XP32-bit, add the /3GB switch to boot.ini for more Premiere stability.

Robert Young November 10th, 2008 11:42 PM

Thanks David- I will install the latest version of Prospect.
I did finally pinpoint the problem- turns out it had nothing to do with rendering Fast CC or CF 32 bit Levels. It was something to do with the crossfades (CF 32 bit) on the animated titles overlaying video clips on track 1. I cleared the crossfades from both tracks, rendered out any red markers, reapplied the crossfades and that solved it. It was also interesting to note that PPro memory usage (monitored in Win Task Manager) was cut in half for exporting after redoing the crossfades. Jeez... I never realized it was all so fragile.
As to CS4, I will probably wait til I get a Vista 64 bit system, by then they'll have the bugs out of CS4- but then they'll be coming out with CS5- no way to win.
Breaking into actual seperate projects is a new idea for me. I usually do sequences of 10 min or so, then assemble the exported avi into a final movie, but it's all in the same project. I have noticed that everything starts slowing down as I get out to 40-60 min- always feeling that I'm finishing up just as it's about to crash and burn.

Robert Young November 11th, 2008 02:36 AM

when you add the /3 Gig switch to boot ini, do you not also need to make a change to PPro to enable it to use the extra RAM, or is PPro preconfigured to use it.

David Newman November 11th, 2008 10:01 AM

The /3GB switch increases the amount of RAM each 32-bit application can use by 1GB, so all memory hogging apps are helped a little.

Gary Brun November 11th, 2008 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman (Post 962143)
The /3GB switch increases the amount of RAM each 32-bit application can use by 1GB, so all memory hogging apps are helped a little.

Could you explain please what a /3GB switch is please.
I have 4gb ram and wondered ifI can also add it to my boot.ini?

Graham Hickling November 11th, 2008 10:32 PM

Just add /3GB /userva=3030 as switches within your boot.ini file. For example:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /3GB /userva=3030

If you want details just do a search on /3GB there are several threads....this works well for some people, while others find their system becomes less stable.

Robert Young November 11th, 2008 11:02 PM

Graham
Is it necessary to have /userva=3030 included?

Graham Hickling November 11th, 2008 11:11 PM

Robert, Probably not - the original post I saw (somewhere?) recommended it, and I didn't investigate further.

You can read about it here: /3GB

"The /userva subparameter is designed for computers that need more than 2 GB but less than 3 GB of user-mode address space, particularly those that are running memory-intensive user-mode programs."

Robert Young November 12th, 2008 01:35 AM

That was an excellent article on the /3GB switch.
I'm still having difficulty tracking down positive documentation that Premiere CS3 comes prelinked with the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE option. An app can't use the extra RAM without it. I can't find any reference on the Adobe site. My search did turn up something on an Adobe forum thread indicating that Photoshop CS2 does have it, but so far nothing specific about PPro.

Robert Young November 16th, 2008 03:05 AM

David
I want to thank you for drawing my attention to Premiere's memory problems as being the source of the failure to render sequences. I tried many suggestions with no improvement, and this has been going on to some extent since i first installed CS3.
Finally, I bit the bullet, did an aggressive uninstall of all plug-ins, then uninstalled the entire CS3 Production Premium Suite. I then mopped up with two different registry cleaners. Finally, I reinstalled the original CS3 package, downloaded 200MB of upgrades and installed them all at once, then finally reinstalled all of the plug-ins, ProspectHD being the last.
It's a miracle! Everything works right for the first time ever. No crashing, no low memory warnings. Renders my 10 min timeline segs to a CFHD movie about 20% faster with stable memory use and no errors. Not only do I get digital HD video to my 2nd monitor, but a still frame as well when I stop the timeline cursor.
Now, to get back to actually editing instead of fighting with the software. It took all afternoon, but it was sure worth it.
Thanks to all

Chris Lakes November 17th, 2008 04:25 PM

Can I do the /3GB switch if I only have 3 GB installed, or do you have to have 4? Our tower won't boot up with 4GB for some reason.

Thanks.

Graham Hickling November 17th, 2008 05:29 PM

Give it a try - it may provide some benefits given your 3GB memory, and it's easy to revert back to the original system settings if needed.

Chris Lakes November 17th, 2008 06:10 PM

Thanks! Here is how the ini file is now:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS [operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

If I add the /3GB as follows, it should offer me a dual option at boot (in case something goes wrong with the /3GB version). What is confusing me is the " /noexecute=optin /fastdetect" portion. Should the /3GB go after that instead? Or can I just delete it from both lines. No idea what I'm doing, really.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS [operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional with /3GB" /3GB /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Thanks again!

Graham Hickling November 17th, 2008 06:24 PM

Hi Chris, the syntax of the line where you've added the 3GB switch is correct ... the order you list the switches won't matter..

The multi-boot part ... hmmm, not sure ... interesting idea if it works!