DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Vista X64, Premiere Pro CS3 & Aspect-HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/138463-vista-x64-premiere-pro-cs3-aspect-hd.html)

Tim Bickford November 25th, 2008 09:59 PM

Vista X64, Premiere Pro CS3 & Aspect-HD

I would like to make the switch to Vista X64. I just wanted to see what kind of success folks have had making this switch to Vista X64 using Premiere Pro CS3 with Aspect-HD.

Any advice?

Thanks

David Newman November 26th, 2008 10:13 AM

It works generally very well. Only issue still with Vista, is in HDLink connecting to some HDV cameras via firewire, support would know more if this issue remains. All editing and file based conversion are fine under Vista.

Tim Bickford November 26th, 2008 12:57 PM

Thanks David.

I capture HDV from my Canon XL H1 via firewire to Aspect-HD. Have there been any X64 issues capturing to Cineform with this camera?

Thanks again!

Happy Thanksgiving...

David Newman November 26th, 2008 02:01 PM

The issue is with HDLink capture, so capturing is Aspect HD under Premiere shouldn't be an issue.

Rich Perry December 3rd, 2008 07:30 AM

I upgraded to vista Ultimate 64 a few weeks ago with 8 GB RAM. So far it seems way more stable than XP ever was, it has not crashed during rendering yet. I have had some wierd buggy issues to work out that I am still working on. Import issues with older CF projects were a major issue, but I was having this with the older XP installation. The system seems to run a tad slower with Vista 64 but it's much more stable over all/

I will report back after a few weeks when I iron out all the bugs. My advice is to make a dual boot and keep your existing installation, run a trial copy of Vista before purchase to make sure all your hardware is supported. Also vista really needs tweaking badly as there is so much garbage that is installed with it. These sites are great for tweaking.

TweakHound - Tweak & Optimize Windows Vista

Windows Vista - Reset Services to Default (registry files)
(have multiple .reg files you can download to disable unwanted services)

Also make sure you install SP1.
Once you get a stable workflow I would advise you ghost the O/S drive (Symantec Ghost 14 is supported with Vista 64)

Tim Bickford December 8th, 2008 11:05 PM

Hey Rich!

I just noticed we both live in NH. I'm down in Exeter.

Thanks for the post. I just got my machine up and running on Vista 64 Ultimate. I've only played around with it for a few hours. So far I have not crashed during a render or encoding. I've had two crashes while using a plugin called "Neat Video". Neat video is a noise filter that I use a lot. I've written to the company to see if perhaps there are 64 bit issues with the software.

I set my four 250 Gig drives to RAID 10. Again, no issues so far. I'm tyring to get better performance out of my system. (i.e. would like some more speed). Check out my post in the world of premiere. Perhaps you can help.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attend-wo...e-pro-cs3.html

Thanks again!

Philip McDonald December 9th, 2008 01:08 PM

Rich, I am currently in the process of converting to Vista 64 but am unable to have any of my nle applications capture hdv footage from my xha1. SD footage works but no luck with hdv. Would you suspect it's my graphics card?.

8 GB RAM, ati radeon 3450 HD, quad core 8200...

Rich Perry December 9th, 2008 05:55 PM

Hey Tim,

I spent my honeymoon in Exeter NH before I moved up here, great town! - good to meet you! - checking out your post in the premier forum now.

Phillip, as far are your capture issue for Vista 64, I seem to remember some people had issues capturing (was posted here somewhere), I have not had a problem but I use cineform capture inside Premier and batch capture (instead of HDLINK). Have you tried capturing this way? does Vista recognise your A1 when you plug it in? - Sadly I had to sell my A1 so I can't test it out but it's fine with my HV30 and sees it as a camera when I plug it in. I doubt it's your graphics card, cineform should be able to help you on this.

Tim Bickford December 9th, 2008 07:09 PM

Rich,

Good to meet you too!

Philip McDonald December 10th, 2008 12:33 AM

Rich -

Have not myself attempted cineform capture as you have suggested. The Canon xha1 is recognized by TMPGEnc & Pinnacle, but neither will successfully capture in HDV. I have growing concern that perhaps this may be a present support issue with Canon.

Rich Perry December 12th, 2008 05:01 AM

I would try caputing from within CS3 using a cineform template, just make sure it's setup correctly - If you are not using cineform, there are specific xha1 templates you can download from canon: Download Library - Canon USA Consumer Products

Hope that helps :)

Ray Parkes December 15th, 2008 08:23 PM

Prospect HDV capture

I run Prospect on Vista x64 with 8GB RAM and use a Sony VI camera. I can capture in HDLink but not inside Premier CS3. The camera dissapears when I set it up for HDV capture. I have had lots of problems after the Vista x64 upgrade especially after I installed CS4 to test it. DEP causes AE to crash or rather it did until I turned DEP to the minimum settings. Now although it says its crashed it doesn't. I cancel the dialogue box and AE keeps going.

Jay Bloomfield December 16th, 2008 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Parkes (Post 978828)
... DEP causes AE to crash or rather it did until I turned DEP to the minimum settings. Now although it says its crashed it doesn't. I cancel the dialogue box and AE keeps going.

After Effects spawns multiple copies of itself, each with a 2GB memory space, under Vista X64. This is done to take full advantage of all available RAM & CPU cores. In fact, the main version of AE does keep working, but the spawned copies are the ones killed by DEP. Supposedly this "bug" was fixed in CS4.

Norman Willis January 20th, 2009 12:01 PM

QuickTime 64?

Hi. I apologize if I am coming in late.

I just did a fresh install of Vista Ultimate 64 bit and Vegas 8.1. Now I am trying to download Apple Quicktime so I can use my .mov files, but Apple tells me that there is no 64-bit Quicktime. Vegas 8.1 does not want me to install the 32-bit.

It seems like I am dead in the water. Has anyone else faced this issue? Is there some workaround? Or what do I do?

Thank you,

Norman

Wolf Korgyn January 20th, 2009 12:43 PM

For what it's worth, I use Vista x64 (Quad-core 2.4Ghz, 4Gb ram), Premiere CS3, and import my little Canon HV30 footage with NeoScene directly and it works like a dream - removing pulldown, etc. and generating perfect CF AVI files - all in real-time. Cineform is such a great format.

Wolf