DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   An alternative way of HD going SD DVD. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/144591-alternative-way-hd-going-sd-dvd.html)

Desmond Sukotjo February 25th, 2009 10:30 AM

An alternative way of HD going SD DVD.

Guys. Anyone read about this? I think it's a pretty good alternative for converting HD to SD DVD.
David?? Any thought, perhaps?

http://invertedhorn.axspace.com/hdv2dvd_basic.html

Peter Manojlovic February 25th, 2009 11:33 AM

If you're using Cineform, the whole Debug mode isn't necessary.

Personally, i'd take advantage of saving out the Cineform file, and using AVISynth to resize, and frameserve it straight to the encoder.

VirtualDub is a great tool, but any processing requires RGB conversion....An unnessary step...
I've used AVISynth with success in the past, and assume that the encoders shouldn't have a problem reading the .AVS script to accept the Cineform codec...

Desmond Sukotjo February 25th, 2009 06:13 PM

VirtualDub in here is only for previewing purpose. It is not being used in the convertion workflow.

The point of using Debugmode is strictly to save your hard drive space, and eliminate the wait for first step rendering (which is timeline to CineForm AVI). If your timeline is CineForm, then your output (signpost) should be CineForm when you use Debugmode, is it not?

Peter Manojlovic February 25th, 2009 10:02 PM

Yes Desmond...
You are totally correct..

But the workflow suggested on the site, is most likely for people who've never heard of Cineform, or for the days when Hard Drive space was really expensive..

Firstly, the Cineform workflow is primarily for people who do serious CC, and need immediate playback and undisturbed quality on the timeline.
Secondly, i believe that the handoff between PPro and Debugmode is probably somewhat slower than an AVISynth script sraight to the encoder anyways...

By saving out to Cineform, and serving back to your encoder, yes, you're creating an extra step, and some extra harddrive space, but i'm pretty sure the finished footage for optical media shouldn't be more than two hours anyways...What's that in Cineform? About 120gigs?
Not a big deal...
I'm sure an encoder like CCE can eat up the AVISynth script pretty quickly...

Graham Hickling February 25th, 2009 10:09 PM

Quote: I assume that the encoders shouldn't have a problem reading the .AVS script to accept the Cineform codec

Without getting into the pros and cons of the two methods above, I can confirm that Procoder, TMPGEnc Xpress and CCE can happily from encode Cineform files opened by way of an avisynth script.

Peter Manojlovic February 25th, 2009 10:25 PM

Yes, i'm looking forward to some test results in the future..I'm really curious as to CCE encode speeds...

Desmond Sukotjo February 26th, 2009 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Manojlovic (Post 1018608)

Secondly, i believe that the handoff between PPro and Debugmode is probably somewhat slower than an AVISynth script sraight to the encoder anyways...

The workflow is to output the Timeline -> Debugmode Signpost -> AviSynth -> MPEG2 Encoder.
Or
Timeline -> Output as CineForm AVI -> AviSynth -> MPEG2 Encoder.

If the quality results the same, we don't need to output to CineForm AVI first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Manojlovic (Post 1018608)

I'm sure an encoder like CCE can eat up the AVISynth script pretty quickly...

Positive, TMPGEnc.4 takes AviSynth script.

But I haven't done quality comparison to HDLink downconvert.

John Rich February 26th, 2009 08:39 AM

The group over at the Adobe Premiere forum have been discussing this in huge topics for at least 9 months. I think their original idea was to do the HD-SD conversion with free tools.

I didn't think it was relevant to me, since I just imported with HDlink, and exported and down sized per Cineform's instructions (File-Export -Movie), and got what I thought were good results.

Are you all saying, that these tools should be incorporated into the Cineform workflow?

John Rich