Anyone have trouble with the importer, or is my footage corrupt? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 12:54 PM   #1
Major Player

Anyone have trouble with the importer, or is my footage corrupt?

I narrowed down my problem as being related to the footage and the importer, I think.
I have created a brand new project and 1/4 of my footage will import properly, yet the other 3/4 only import partially. They are incomplete at approximately 15 seconds long. Using NeoPlayer outside of Premiere Pro they're 45 minutes long. Using Vegas, all clips import completely.

Is my Cineform footage corrupted and need to be re-captured? Or did I screw up the importer somehow?

My apologies if this is still a Premiere issue, but it sounds like it is tied to Cineform because all my non-Cineform footage imports completely.

Last edited by Craig Irving; April 23rd, 2009 at 01:27 PM.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:51 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

That is happening on the Prospect v4 beta or on an old beta release of just the importer?
Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:14 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm using the beta. Maybe I can try uninstalling the beta and reverting back to the old instructions for using the standalone importer.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:26 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

That won't help solve the problem going forward, as your system is behaving like it is not using the importer at all. In Premiere select a troubled clip and request the properties, what is the full name of the codec shown? If it is not using the importer we will want a short sample file.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:41 PM   #5
Major Player

File Path: X:\Doug\Other Interviews\Gary.avi
Type: AVI File
File Size: 19.5 GB
Image Size: 1440 x 1080
Pixel Depth: 32
Frame Rate: 23.976
Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 16 bit - Stereo
Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo
Total Duration: 00:02:55:02
Average Data Rate: 113.7 MB / second
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.3333

AVI File details:
Reel name: Gary Int.
Contains 1 video track(s) and 1 audio track(s).
Interleave: 1 : 0.58

Video track 1:
Size is 18.89G bytes (average frame = 307.99K bytes)
There are 32994 keyframes, 32994 delta frames.
Frame rate is 23.98 fps
Frame size is 1440 x 1080
Depth is 24 bits.
Compressor: 'CFHD', CineForm HD Codec V4.8.7

Audio track 1:
Size is 503.92M bytes
Rate is 48000 samples/sec
Sample size is 16 bits
Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:43 PM   #6
Major Player

Maybe it's not using the importer actually, because when I select one of the clips that does work and click on the properties I don't get any Cineform information:

File Path: X:\Doug\Interviews\Doug Jan 10 (Part 3).avi
Type: AVI File
File Size: 28.0 GB
Image Size: 1440 x 1080
Pixel Depth: 0
Frame Rate: 23.97
Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 16 bit - Stereo
Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo
Total Duration: 00;56;19;07
Average Data Rate: 8.5 MB / second
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.3333

It's rather plain. However when I look at the other properties for the files that don't work, it has data rate analysis graphs with red bars and such.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:51 PM   #7
CTO, CineForm Inc.

You aren't running the new stuff in either output. The first is using Adobe's VfW importer which seems to break at 2GB, the second seems to the the old importer only beta, not the new v4 importer. Uninstall v4, then delete any file with CFHD in the name from the Program files/Adobe folders. Then re-install the v4 beta again.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:52 PM   #8
Major Player

Hmmm, strange. Because a few of my files that are way above 2GB play.
I took your advise and uninstalled Prospect 4 Beta, then manually deleted the CFHD files that I found in the MediaCore folder (that I must have put there when I tested the standalone importer).
Unfortunately after re-installing Prospect 4 Beta they still don't seem to import entirely. (Should I have rebooted?)
Is it possible to just disable VFW from Premiere?

Last edited by Craig Irving; April 23rd, 2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:05 PM   #9
Major Player

If you would like a sample, how do you suggest I trim it down? All my files are above 10GB-15GB.

I was going to use Vegas to cut a 10 second sample and render out a Cineform file? But I guess I need a Neo license to do that.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:47 PM   #10
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Step 1: If you have the new Importer yet it still uses the VfW, that is a bug, Adobe or ours, unsure. If properties popup reports "4.8.x" codec it is using VFW, if "CineForm Visually Perfect" you are using the new importer. Download "Dependency Walker" (x86 i.e. 32-bit version) from Dependency Walker (depends.exe) Home Page -- it is free -- and load CFHD_AVI_Importer.prm into it (from ...Adobe/Common/MediaCore/CS4.) See attachment -- you want to make sure all the DLLs (particularly top level) can be found on your system. This can help you determine why a component will not load or crashes unexpectantly.

Step 2 (if all looks fine in 1): Use VirtualDub in "Direct Stream Copy" mode (video menu) -- which allows the frames you want to be copied into a new file -- without re-rendering. Load that new clip back in Premiere and check the properties to see which importer it is using. If is it using VFW, send that file. If not -- more thinking required.

P.S. Prospect is a super-set of Neo, so Vegas would work for you. However, if it rerendered that test is of less value.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone have trouble with the importer, or is my footage corrupt?-importdepends.png  
Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:58 PM   #11
Major Player

All of those show up like the picture, however if I look down to the bottom panes I do see an error.

GPSVC.DLL Error cannot find specified file.

Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not found.
Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.

I guess I don't have the DLL file I need. Should I just Google for it?
I am on Windows Vista SP1 64-bit.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:33 PM   #12
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Unlikely the issue, although you could down it to try. If it still doesn't help, go on to step 2.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:39 PM   #13
Major Player

Okay so I downloaded that DLL and put it in my System folders and that Dependency Checker program doesn't seem to complain about it anymore, but they still don't import correctly.

I just noticed Premiere Pro does distinguish between the files that will play and the ones that won't. I've noticed that the clips that do import completely say "23.97fps" while the ones that get truncated to 30-120 seconds say "23.976fps". Hopefully that gives you a hint.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:42 PM   #14
Major Player

Option #2 didn't work for me either unfortunately. It still reads "Compressor: 'CFHD', CineForm HD Codec V4.8.7" under properties, but the clip is truncated to 2 minutes, when in actuality it's 45:52 minutes and 19.3 gigs.
It also read that before.

I'm going to try re-installing Adobe. I really hope I won't need to re-install the OS, hopefully it's a bug that can easily be resolved in an upcoming Prospect build.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:58 PM   #15
CTO, CineForm Inc.

It is wrong if is says "CineForm HD Codec V4.8.7", that means it is NOT using the importer, and you will still have Adobe native 2GB file limitation for AVIs. I just ran a clip through VirtualDub and it still uses the correct importer on my PC (XP 64-bit -- at the office we use everything without issue also, Vista 64-bit is not generally an issue) -- so the file writer is not the issue. Make a one second clip in VirtualDub so I can download it to try here (I have about 30 mintue spare tonight) then we can determine if it is a clip or PC issue.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase