DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Neo Player Problems? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/237711-neo-player-problems.html)

Dean Gough June 21st, 2009 05:32 AM

Neo Player Problems?

Just installed Neo Player on a system with AE CS3 and imported a couple of Cineform Raw clips. The imports display but are very washed out and show as 8bit files, also the resolution is half what it should be ie 1024x540 instead of 2048x1080.

Is this a limitation of the Neo Player? Does it not allow the import of 10/12 bit files?

David Newman June 21st, 2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Gough (Post 1161417)
Just installed Neo Player on a system with AE CS3 and imported a couple of Cineform Raw clips. The imports display but are very washed out and show as 8bit files, also the resolution is half what it should be ie 1024x540 instead of 2048x1080.

Is this a limitation of the Neo Player? Does it not allow the import of 10/12 bit files?

Very old SI-2K footage reports at half res., did you get that from the SI website (they need some new footage uploaded.) Sounds like you didn't get the CS3 importer installed and are running just VfW decode (inherently 8-bit.) Neo Player (PC) includes the adobe importers.

Washed out look is correct for any true RAW source with a Log curve -- film workflows expect this -- it is a good indicator of dynamic range.

Dean Gough June 22nd, 2009 05:00 AM

Hi David , thanks for your reply. The CFHDIO.aex file is in the plugin directory, I thought this was the main importer for Cineform.

How do I check for this case?

I assume that although the old raw files display at half rez they should still be showing as high bit depth files?

David Newman June 22nd, 2009 07:26 PM

CFHDIO.aex is used for export only in CS3 and CS4. In CS3 you need the im_CFHD*.prm component. If you use the importer the bit depth is deep, in the deep mode, not not should how it report this.

Dean Gough June 23rd, 2009 03:09 PM

Problem solved, the im_CFHD*.prm file was in the common/media core folder but obviously not being used by AE. I copied it to the AE plugins and presto trillions of glorious colours. Raw footage also displays correct resolution now. Thanks for the great support David.

Dean Gough June 25th, 2009 05:37 AM

Unfortunately I wish this was the end of the problem however the above solution works fine in CS3 but does not work in CS4. Is there a different file for CS4? If there is the installer does not seem to install it.

I have tried copying the file across from the CS3 install however this does not seem to work. Whenever I import a Cineform file into CS4 is still Millions of colours and its showing as the Cineform HD Codec 5.1.0.

Exactly what files is the installer supposed to install for AE and PPro (CS3 and CS4) and where? Can I manually download them and install?

Uninstalling and reinstalling did not work either and it seemed to leave some file out, ther were no copies of im_CFHD*.prm anywhere to be found.

David Newman June 25th, 2009 09:18 AM

CS4 uses CFHD_AVI_Importer.prm

Dean Gough June 26th, 2009 02:25 AM

Thanks for the tip David however I'm not sure what to do now to get this to work in CS4. The installer has never installed a file by this name in any directory. I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. I have searched every disk on the PC to no avail.

How can I obtain this file when the installer is not playing ball? Do you have an alternative means of downloading this file so I can manually install it?

David Newman June 26th, 2009 08:47 AM

Install Neo HD.

Dean Gough June 26th, 2009 06:01 PM

Thanks for your reply David unfortunately this has not resolved the issue.

I unsintalled NEO player and then installed NeoHD. I reviewed the install.log file to see what files were installed and where. I noticed that it did not install the CFHD_AVI_IMPORTER.prm in AE CS4 although it was installed in PPro CS4.

I copied the file across to the AE CS4 media core/common directory and imported a file I knew worked in CS3 (which incidentally has always worked). This was still identified as a Cineform HD Codec 5.1.0 file. (CS3 it shows as a Cineform Intermediate). The RAW files that I have are still reduced resolution and are also only 8bit.

This is the same for PPro CS4, it does not recognise the extra bit depth or correctly import the RAW footage (again CS3 works correctly).

If you have any other suggestions I'd appreciate them before I pull what remaining hair I have left out!! Apologies for turning what should have been a straight forward install into a drama. Can I submit a trouble ticket for this? I don't want to waste your supports time when they probably have more critical issues to support.

All CS3 and CS4 updates have been applied.

David Newman June 26th, 2009 06:18 PM

It could be another example of CS4 not working yet, either CineForm's or Adobe's bug, by filing with support the bug will get examined.

Dean Gough June 26th, 2009 10:00 PM

Done, thanks again