DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Adobe CS3 or Adobe CS4 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/296812-adobe-cs3-adobe-cs4.html)

Rudy Wilms August 19th, 2009 08:27 AM

Adobe CS3 or Adobe CS4

I am using Adobe CS3 production Premium with aspectHD on a windows XP 32bit system.

I have also Adobe CS4 production Premium and the windows vista 64 bit with 12 gb ram it is sitting on my shelf for over 7 months because I was waiting for the prospect to work 100% with CS4.I am now planning to re format my computer and my question is what is the best I can do install my system like I have it now or install windows vista 64 bit with CS4 with the prospect HD?

Thanks Rudy
Virtual Tours of Homes|High Definition Video Tour|Real Estate Video Tours|Blackwood Pictures

Leo Baker August 19th, 2009 09:22 AM

I have just gone back today from cs4 and Prospect HD 4, Vista 64bit business to;

Adobe Production Premium cs3
Prospect HD 4
Win xp pro 64bit

I need to be able to capture HDV files though the deck, into Premiere pro cs3 into Cineform as the Capture for Premeire pro cs4 from Cineform is not ready yet. I can use HDLink, but I can't retain the timecodes of the clips captured from HDLINK from the deck.

So I will work on cs3 untill Cienform is fully ready under cs4 then maybe I'll switch back to CS4 with Cineform. Also the export speeds are a lot longer under cs4 as well with Cineform.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy Wilms (Post 1242377)
I am using Adobe CS3 production Premium with aspectHD on a windows XP 32bit system.

I have also Adobe CS4 production Premium and the windows vista 64 bit with 12 gb ram it is sitting on my shelf for over 7 months because I was waiting for the prospect to work 100% with CS4.I am now planning to re format my computer and my question is what is the best I can do install my system like I have it now or install windows vista 64 bit with CS4 with the prospect HD?

Thanks Rudy
Virtual Tours of Homes|High Definition Video Tour|Real Estate Video Tours|Blackwood Pictures

Rudy Wilms August 19th, 2009 09:40 AM

vista 64bit

Leo ,Do you know if windows vista 64bit will work with CS3?

Thanks Rudy

Adam Gold August 19th, 2009 12:37 PM

I'm using CS3 with PHD3 under Vista 64 and it's the best-behaved they've all ever been.

Rudy Wilms August 19th, 2009 12:51 PM

cs3and 64bit

Adam does vista 64 work with whole the CS3 bundle After Effects, Photoshop and Premiere CS3? I searhed on the net but could not find if the CS3 bundle all work with Vista 64 bit also do you think it will work with the Aspect HD because I see you use PHD3?

Thanks
Rudy

Adam Gold August 19th, 2009 01:13 PM

Yes, Aspect worked fine as well (as I recall -- been awhile). Haven't used all the apps in CS3 but Soundbooth, Encore, Illustrator and Photoshop all seem to work fine.

Leo Baker August 19th, 2009 04:04 PM

Hello,

I wnat back to Vista 64bit with Adobe Production Premium CS3, with Prospect HD 4, as under XP 64bity I could not install the I-Tunes with Quicktime 64bit installer under XP it said only Vista was supported.

I am going to be doing etsting tomorrow, Capture HDv in Premiere pro, edit, export to Cineform, then burn a dvd and blu-ray also h264 from the Adobe Media Encoder.

Leo

Graham Hickling August 19th, 2009 08:55 PM

CS3 and CS4 can be installed together, with Cineform, on XP64 (that's my setup).

And I assume thats true for Vista too ... so you don't really have to choose between one or the other.

Leo Baker August 22nd, 2009 12:13 PM

I am now on Vista 64bit with cs3, working fine with Prospect HD 4. Working fine now.

Rudy Wilms August 22nd, 2009 02:33 PM

CS3 with vista 64Bit

I am also working on Vista 64bit with cs3 with Prospect HD 4. I think that everything works fine.I did the test also with Vista 64bit CS4 with Prospct HD last build every thing was fine but the only thing that I was missing is the realtime engine from cineform what makes CS3 a better chooice for the performance.I hope that the realtime engine for CS4 is comming soon??????

Rudy

Marty Hudzik August 27th, 2009 02:34 PM

Be careful when installing CS4 on machines with CS3 also installed. It works, but I have done it on 3 different machines and the CS3 Adobe Media Encoder gets corrupted to a degree. You can no longer output .wmv files. 2 of these machines were XP pro and one is Vista 64bit.

For the most part they co-exist but just be aware of this limitation. I now have to export any CS3 file as an uncompressed or Cineform avi and then import it to Adobe Media Encoder CS4 when I need .wmv files. Fortunately I don't need them that often. Besides, the CS4 media encoder is slow as molasses!

Good Luck.

Ray Parkes August 28th, 2009 01:37 AM

I have found that the optimum solution is to dual boot. You can then use which ever software works. I use CS4 with Vista x64 and Prospect v4 on one drive and CS3 with XP x64 and Prospect v3 on the other. My renderfarm is still on XP x64 and works with both CS4 and CS3 installed.

Prospect version 4 is not as stable as version 3 although it may out perform it. I still use v3 for capture in Premier and get RT playback for my edits there. Its much less painful.
I don't use First Light at all but then I don't need to do much colour adjustment except when compositing. I tend to do that in AE anyway. AE CS4 is a huge improvement and worth the hassle especially if you do a lot of compositing. Most of the rest of CS4 is better than Premier but not by much. We use it all in the studio. A compatible video card and driver makes a significant difference.

All in all it’s a huge load of garbage and I can assure you that I won't be using any of it on my next film.

Stephen Armour August 30th, 2009 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Parkes (Post 1279503)
....All in all it’s a huge load of garbage and I can assure you that I won't be using any of it on my next film.

Ray, just curious, but what are you going to use then on your next film?

Ray Parkes August 31st, 2009 02:42 PM

There is still a year of post on the curent project so we have only just started researching. The system will depend a bit on which cameras we eventually choose but a Mac based hardware and software system is favourite at the moment.

Stephen Armour August 31st, 2009 03:19 PM

A lot could happen between now and then so who really knows, right? Our video world is moving so fast, it's getting harder and harder to peer down the road that far!

Next some bozo will probably invent a cheap, true high res, free air space, full color, photo-realistic 3D image recording/projection system and we'll all be scrambling to sell our black HD doorstops to buy into it!

And CF will be scrambling to make an intermediate codec that makes it editable on current PC's and Mac's...arrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggg!