DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   HDLink -- various questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/43083-hdlink-various-questions.html)

David Newman August 19th, 2007 10:41 AM

There is no difference in the M2T handling for Prospect HD and Aspect HD, so more likely there was an install issue. I just tested my PHD M2T conversion, and its working fine. Uninstall Prospect HD, and re-install again. If the problem continues, work with support tomorrow -- file a trouble ticket today.

Marc Colemont August 19th, 2007 01:25 PM

Thank you David,
I will do that.

Dean Gough September 8th, 2007 04:48 PM

HDLink File conversion

Easy question, when converting .m2t, avi files etc using HDLink does the process convert them from 8 bit to 10/12 bit Cineform avi files or do you have to render them out within AE or PPro to increase the bit depth?

I've searched the forum and can't find a definitive answer.

David Newman September 8th, 2007 10:45 PM

YUV 4:2:2 is always stored with 10-bit precision (even for 8-bit sources.)
RGB 4:4:4 and RGBA 4:4:4:4 is always stored with 12-bit precision.

Dean Gough September 8th, 2007 11:23 PM

Thanks for the answer David.

Just to be absolutely clear, this is for both live captured and manually converted files?

Within HDLink there doesn't seem to be a facility to choose to convert YUV material to 4:4:4. Does it choose the output bit depth based on the colour space of the incoming video file?

I'm using the demo at the moment and I've converted a few files. When I bring them back into AE7 they only show up as "millions of colours" which Iwould presume is only an 8 bit depth. The demo Viper footage all imports with "trillions of colours"

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman (Post 741433)
YUV 4:2:2 is always stored with 10-bit precision (even for 8-bit sources.)
RGB 4:4:4 and RGBA 4:4:4:4 is always stored with 12-bit precision.

David Newman September 9th, 2007 10:09 AM

In AE7 are use the CineForm importer or the default AVI importer? The AE AVI importer is only 8-bit.

For 4:4:4:(4) file creation you will need to use AE or PPro, HDLink link needs some upgrades for DPX file input.

Dean Gough September 9th, 2007 04:21 PM

I assume it uses the Cineform importer as the demo Viper footage interprets as "trillions of colours". When footage is rendered out in AE7 as 444 and then reimported it also displays the high bit depth.

Just to be sure it is not the AE importer I will force the Cineform importer with the Shift/Ctrl key and post the results.

Thanks for your help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman (Post 741568)
In AE7 are use the CineForm importer or the default AVI importer? The AE AVI importer is only 8-bit.

For 4:4:4:(4) file creation you will need to use AE or PPro, HDLink link needs some upgrades for DPX file input.

Dean Gough September 10th, 2007 12:57 AM

Forcing the Cineform importer seemed to cure the problem. Files converted by HDlink appear as "trillions of colours".

Highly likely we would convert all files to 444 anyway for compositing. So guess we have to run through AE anyway.

Interestingly these show up correctly even when Cineform importer is not forced.

Thanks for the help.

Bruce Findleton September 13th, 2007 10:36 AM

Missing HDLink in build 91

I just installed Aspect HD build 91 and it doesn't install HDLink. In Start>Programs>Cineform there is only the Tools folder, no Aspect folder.

And while on the topic of Tools, what is the Register Components script for?

David Newman September 13th, 2007 11:15 AM

It should be there, and no other reports of is missing. un-install and re-install.

"Register Components" -- used under tech support directive if certain errors occur -- can fix installation issues.

Bruce Findleton September 13th, 2007 11:55 AM

Uninstalling manually instead of letting the installer do it did the trick. Thanks.

Nick Williams October 10th, 2007 12:07 PM

HDLink m2t converting problems

I recently purchased Neo2k to see it would improve my workflow with the V1u, DR-60 and FCP (on a dual 2.66 MacPro). But I haven't been successful yet in converting an m2t file into the cineform intermediate codec. I'm trying to run HDLink in parallels, but I get an error message in the log and nothing happens.
Log:
pSinkFilter->SetFileName(T2CW(pOutputFilename), NULL) (0x80004005 - Unspecified error) in (ConvertGraph.cpp at 2099)

Anyone seen anything similar?

-Nick

David Newman October 10th, 2007 12:25 PM

Would I repeat myself and say try support, however it this case I know what it is, and it is funny one. You haven't installed QuickTime on the XP side of you Mac, a tad ironic, and you are trying to create an MOV file under XP which requires QuickTime.

Nick Williams October 10th, 2007 04:33 PM

Hi David, thanks for the response. I'm a little windows challenged, that makes total sense. I'll try it out! thanks!

David Taylor October 10th, 2007 06:54 PM

Nick, it is counter-intuitive until it sinks in. In fact when we installed Parallels the first time we scratched our head on the same issue until we had the "Doh!" realization....