DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   How painful is the conversion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/470240-how-painful-conversion.html)

Bruce Phung December 30th, 2009 08:39 PM

How painful is the conversion

I just wonder how painful to convert AVCHD to CF AVI file. Can any one of you give me example. Let say 1 hrs of AVCHD footage, how long will it take to convert to CF AVI file?
Desktop Core i7 920 2.67GHz 8gigs DDR3 Windows 7 64 bit.

David Newman December 30th, 2009 09:37 PM

My home PC is that setup (with 6GB not 8GB -- note: 3 banks of 2GB is faster that 2 banks for 4GB.) AVCHD transcodes over 100fps here. So 1 hour of AVCHD footage with transcode in 15-20 minutes.

Bruce Phung December 30th, 2009 09:53 PM

Thanks Dave for your reply. Wow, transcoding with CF is not painful at all. I will definately get it later on. Regarding 8gig. I got 4 stick, 2 gig each stick in each slot. They are 6 slots in the motherboard.

David Newman December 30th, 2009 10:04 PM

I would pull one 2GB stick, until you get another 4GB. The tripple channel memory is a big gain on i7s, yet with 4 sticks it runs in dual channel mode -- 33% slower.

Bruce Phung December 30th, 2009 10:15 PM

33% slower? 2gig will definately coming out tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

David Newman December 30th, 2009 10:25 PM

The peak memory throughput is 33% less in dual channel, which will impact some tools, and it does impact CineForm speed between 15-25% so it worth going tripple channel (you my need to set you BIOS.) My 920 is so fast, so much is that fast memory system.

Eugenia Loli-Queru December 31st, 2009 03:19 AM

You are not mentioning your video editor. You have a very fast PC, so if you're using Vegas for example, you don't need to use Cineform at all. AVCHD on such a machine flies on either Vegas or Premiere.

Brant Gajda December 31st, 2009 06:41 AM

Agree with David. Pull the chips out. I'm running 12gb. 6 slots of 2GB each. Makes a world of difference. Or, you might want to consider topping off your MB with memory instead.

Simon Zimmer December 31st, 2009 07:16 AM

I have the HMC-150 and I am using Prospect HD with the video files.

It is VERY easy to convert. Fast and simple!

I am never going back to tapes!

NEVER!

Happy New Year all!

Simon

Bruce Phung December 31st, 2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eugenia Loli-Queru (Post 1466426)
You are not mentioning your video editor. You have a very fast PC, so if you're using Vegas for example, you don't need to use Cineform at all. AVCHD on such a machine flies on either Vegas or Premiere.

I am using Vegas Pro 9. My Core i7 edit avchd no problem and playback very smooth. I look into Cineform. Here is my intention,

1) Convert my avchd to CF AVI file
2) Open Vegas import CF AVI file to edit my project
3) Render and output to CF AVI master file
4) burn the file to DVD, BD AVC etc.

Later I can open Vegas and import CF AVI master file to re-edit without much loss in quality. This is make any sense?

Eugenia Loli-Queru December 31st, 2009 05:33 PM

It does, but not completely. I mean, you can just edit in AVCHD, and then export in CF AVI at the end. You don't have to edit in CF AVI in order to export in CF AVI. CF AVI is 10bit of course, but as it was discussed in this forum last year, Vegas doesn't use that ability fully. Personally, I would just edit in AVCHD, and then export the in CF AVI for archiving. I would only convert to CF AVI for editing if my PC was not as fast as yours is.

Bruce Gruber January 1st, 2010 05:57 AM

Hi Bruce,

Yes at least that is my work flow. From everyting David has said and other people create the CF Master and then output from that..

one of the major rules of compression is compress from the higest quality file not only in file out put but lighting also playes a major part..

Someone correct me please if I am wrong

Bruce

David Dwyer January 1st, 2010 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman (Post 1466361)
My home PC is that setup (with 6GB not 8GB -- note: 3 banks of 2GB is faster that 2 banks for 4GB.) AVCHD transcodes over 100fps here. So 1 hour of AVCHD footage with transcode in 15-20 minutes.

Will this be the same for all PCs? I'm running a AMD Quad core with 8GB; should I remove a stick as well?

David Newman January 1st, 2010 05:16 PM

No just Intel i7s support tripple channel memory

David Dwyer January 1st, 2010 05:17 PM

Ah thanks - Next PC upgrade will be around the CS5 release

/end hijack