DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Cineform and the New 5D2 Firmware (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/473973-cineform-new-5d2-firmware.html)

Bill Binder March 2nd, 2010 12:46 PM

Cineform and the New 5D2 Firmware

Obviously Cineform hasn't had much (if any) time to play with the files from the updated 5D2 Firmware, so I'm sure it will be a while before they adjust Cineform to handle the new framerates (including 29.97).

That said, I'm assuming they will stop conforming the 30.00 footage to 29.97 (and adjusting the audio) once the new firmware is available.

Beyond that though, I have a question/comment. I kind of hope they find a way to still make the adjustment if they notice 30.00 footage, but not do it if they see 29.97. I'm hoping there's enough metadata or some other mechanism to see the difference and transcode/conform accordingly.

I'm currently working on a long-term project, and I will of course be switching my firmware out once available, but I'll need to be able to mix and match the two versions (30.00 and 29.97) going forward.

Hopefully that will work out?

David Newman March 2nd, 2010 06:04 PM

We expect no issues will the new firmware.

Bill Binder March 2nd, 2010 11:26 PM

So will it be able to handle both the older 30.00p files and the newer 29.97 files if I give it both in the same batch?

David Newman March 2nd, 2010 11:31 PM

Update your firmware and find out, send us samples if there are any issues (we don't expect any.) Remember 7D and 5D can be convert in the same batch without issues.

Laurence Kingston March 15th, 2010 07:42 PM

If you do fix this, please leave in the current 30p to 29.97 as an option as I expect there may not be a firmware update for my Canon point and shoot SX-1 IS (which also benefits from the current 30p to 29.97 correction).

Brian Kennedy March 17th, 2010 07:35 PM

So has anyone been using the new 5D files with the "old" CineForm? I'll give it a try myself, of course, but don't have anything to convert yet and someone else must have done it by now. I love CineForm and wouldn't want to have to work with the original 5D files if CineForm isn't ready yet. I'm still running CineForm 1.4.0, so I'm sure I should upgrade anyway, but I hadn't read about an update for the new 5D f/w.

Chris Barcellos March 17th, 2010 10:02 PM

I have converted 24p and 30p material already without any problem. Resulting files are what is advertized.

Charles W. Hull March 17th, 2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Kennedy (Post 1501203)
So has anyone been using the new 5D files with the "old" CineForm? I'll give it a try myself, of course, but don't have anything to convert yet and someone else must have done it by now. I love CineForm and wouldn't want to have to work with the original 5D files if CineForm isn't ready yet. I'm still running CineForm 1.4.0, so I'm sure I should upgrade anyway, but I hadn't read about an update for the new 5D f/w.

Sure, worked fine. I converted both 29.97 and 23.976 shot with the 2.0.3 5DII firmware. This is with ProspectHD version 4.3 which also correctly converts the previous 30 fps files to 29.97. Neoscene 1.6.0 would work the same.