DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   NeoXX Beta 5.1.4.275 (should be v5.2.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/485509-neoxx-beta-5-1-4-275-should-v5-2-a.html)

David Newman September 30th, 2010 05:51 PM

NeoXX Beta 5.1.4.275 (should be v5.2.)

Some nice feature and bug fix enhancements in this build. The first item list below could significantly enhance some high-end workflows.

Added: HDLink can now generate proxies for other CineForm files, for 2D or 3D work. All metadata transfers so that proxy can be corrected in FirstLight and all the corrections will automatically applied to the master CineForm file. Very cool workflow enhancement.
Added: Decode 422 to 444 filter control to the status viewer (removed from VFW control panel.)
Added: Decode speed option in the status viewer (more convient access than in the Tools folder.)
Added: A swap Left/Right metdata function, for those that mux 3D clips backwards.
Added: MOV trimming to the CS5 importer.
Enhanced: Codec SDK to version 6.6, greatly helping third parties to read/use CineForm metadata.
Enhanced: Installer now tests for a valid QuickTime installation
Enhanced: FirstLight handles being launched twice better by bring to front the first instance.
Fixed: tools switching off with clips using a large number of keyframes.
Fixed: Invert option in FirstLight.
Fixed: CS5 handling CineForm MOVs greater than 4GB.
Fixed: CineForm MOVs audio issues.
Fixed: a crash using Fast 3D, or 3D speed mode in FirstLight.

Neo3D http://cineform.com/downloads/Neo3Dv514b275-100930.zip
Neo4K http://cineform.com/downloads/Neo4Kv514b275-100930.zip
NeoHD http://cineform.com/downloads/NeoHDv514b275-100930.zip
NeoScene http://cineform.com/downloads/NeoSce...275-100930.zip

Please report any any new issue to support, and we will turn the fix around quickly.

Bill Bryant September 30th, 2010 06:09 PM

This definitely fixed the Tools burn in problem I was having...thanks for the quick work!!!

David Newman September 30th, 2010 09:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More info on the new proxy generation.

1) Make you CineForm masters as you normally would.
2) Load these back in HDLink
3) In Prefs set the Make Proxy check box -- this will disable all Active Metadata so nothing will be baked in, yet all the metadata will transfer (remaining active.)
4) For a fast light weight proxy (think laptop or WiFi bandwidth) set the Resize to "960 x auto .." and the quality to low or medium (I-frame off for extra tiny.)
5) For more speed set the Fast Scale on. This will decode to source to only the size need to produce the output requested -- lots of speed.

The resulting files will be 2-3MB/s vs 12-18MB/s, 4-5X faster, yet a full active metadata proxy for the original file -- any FirstLight changes on the proxy are automatically applied to the master. This also work for compute hungry 3D sources.

Sorin Pricop October 1st, 2010 01:28 AM

Ok :) So the updates are keep coming ... better check the forum twice a day now ... ;)

Gary Brun October 1st, 2010 04:41 AM

Very nice list of upgrades.
Will try now.

Gary

Junior Pascual October 1st, 2010 12:21 PM

David, no beta version for NeoScene?

David Newman October 1st, 2010 01:37 PM

Junior,

Add the NeoScene link now (above), although most of the changes are for the higher-end tools.

Junior Pascual October 1st, 2010 05:50 PM

Thanks, David. Only after I posted the question that I realized that the improvements were mostly for the higher end.

Jr.

David H. Wilson October 1st, 2010 09:32 PM

David,

Is there an advantage to creating proxies as opposed to express files or are they essentially the same thing?

Many thanks again for the constant improvements.

David Newman October 1st, 2010 09:44 PM

Proxies are express files for all cameras. We created Express files (also proxies) within the Red converter as Red files are so slow, but we alway intended to roll it out more widely. One reason we didn't move on this so quickly for other cameras, is that computers are so fast, really don't need low res. files for standard HD edits.

Performance example -- my single proc i7 can play 4k x 2K in 3D at 30p using only 40% on the CPU.

However, some of the more advanced 3D corrections does eat up a lot of computer power, so the proxy are implemented now to help 3D customers with 2K or 4K RAW sources.

David H. Wilson October 1st, 2010 09:48 PM

Pretty much what I suspected - many thanks for the quick answer.

David Newman October 2nd, 2010 09:41 AM

How are these builds working for everyone? Tried any of the new features?

Bob Hart October 2nd, 2010 11:08 AM

David.

Here's a cruelbad question. Can the proxy file system breathe new life into a 3.2Ghz dual-core, with PP2 massaging 2048 x 1152 @ 25P files out of the SI2K? I realise the fullsize renders will be no faster.

John Reeve October 2nd, 2010 11:13 AM

Neo3D Mac

Hi David,

Any links for Mac users? Are these features the same in the Mac Beta?

Thanks,

-John

David Newman October 2nd, 2010 11:21 AM

Bob,

It will help your sad dual core ;) Create the proxies with the 1024 x audio option, set fast scale and make proxy -- then edit like it was DV, fast. You can still use a 2048x1152 timeline, have PPro set to default scale to timeline -- this simplified when relinking to the full res masters.

David Newman October 2nd, 2010 11:24 AM

No Mac update in this release. All it is getting the codec upgrades, although the proxy generation for Mac is likely a while off. If you need proxies, you can use the PC version on NeoHD to generate proxies for Neo3D Mac. The re-spin of Mac FirstLight is what we are focusing on.

Bob Hart October 3rd, 2010 07:26 AM

David.

Thanks for that.

What is your recommended computer for CS5 / NeoHD?

I've been building no-names but have always had those little glitches like video boards which work around in their slots due to noisy fans and develop resistive joints and those sodding SATA plugs, which split on the corners - score 3 so far. If I could bait the person responsible for visiting those upon mankind, I would.

The AU$ is not as moribund as it used to be against the US$, so now might be as good a time as any to upgrade.

Regards from here in the real west.

David Newman October 3rd, 2010 09:55 AM

For non workstation class, I like system using ASUS motherboards and the Intel 980X or equivalent (6 core "Gulftown" or "Westmere.") I build my own for that. For workstations, reconfigure an HP or Lenovo -- well built systems but they can often do with some performance tweaks.

Ariel Gilboa October 4th, 2010 10:37 AM

How soon this version will go official ?

I'm feeling a little uncomfortable upgrading in the middle of a project.... (as for now I'm just transcoding, not
even color correcting)

Giroud Francois October 5th, 2010 01:25 PM

rule #1. if your installation works, don't try to fix it

rule #2 do not switch version in the middleof a project.

rule #3 never use beta on production machine unless there is no hope.

Mikael Bergstrom October 7th, 2010 01:20 PM

Image is upside down.

Hello David

My image is upside down when I use the first light and look through my AJA card with this build, don't know why?

My AJA card is Kona with the latest driver.

My PC Spec:
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
Intel i7 920
Corsair DD3 12GB
Nvidia GTX470
Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
CS5 Production Premium

Stelios Christofides October 11th, 2010 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giroud francois (Post 1575827)
rule #1. If your installation works, don't try to fix it

rule #2 do not switch version in the middleof a project.

Rule #3 never use beta on production machine unless there is no hope.

Golden Rules!!!

Ariel Gilboa October 11th, 2010 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides (Post 1577550)
Golden Rules!!!

Yes but the gold is a little worn out here :-)

The frequent updates and the new feature set (eg. Proxies) and bug fixes (eg. sound is lost in some MOVs) make SOME of the updates compelling.

So, after you are exposed to the new build, it is a choice of the following : OR stay with the current [working flawlessly] build .... OR take the plunge and enjoy the new ESSENTIAL features/bug fixes - at the "risk"
of working with a "beta" (which is called BETA only since 5.1.1 - if you remember... not so long ago :-)

Lets take Cubase (audio sequencer) for example :

Updates are every 4 months or so. bug fixes and maybe new features. you have time to prepare, adapt to a
new workflow, GHOST your HD if something's goes wrong...

The situation here is different altogether...

I'm *** NOT ****complaining or something... after all, it is up to ME to update or not. but I must admit that
the decision is not always easy ... ;-)