DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Sample SI2K RAW frame graded in First Light (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/493242-sample-si2k-raw-frame-graded-first-light.html)

Justin Lovell March 17th, 2011 10:20 PM

Sample SI2K RAW frame graded in First Light

Frame Discreet Blog Archive Color Correction for Junos/Bravo!

First Light Rocks!

Enjoy!

Henry Olonga March 18th, 2011 06:52 AM

Re: Sample SI2K RAW frame graded in First Light

Best budget-concious grading option IMHO. One request to David and crew. Would it be possible to add just a few more secondary colour controls so that we can zero in on a specific colour and boost or lower that? A bit like speedgrade onset - which I own. Also perhaps controls for different ranges in contrast, saturation etc. iow separate controls of highs, mids and lows. I know it's asking a bit much but even if this is not possible - I love Firstlight

Tim Kolb March 18th, 2011 08:34 AM

FirstLight may be one of the least-known (but most significant) benefits of CineForm products. Nice example of of what the color correction facilities in FL can do Justin...

Much like REDCINE, its capabilities for working with its own format files are impressive, but FirstLight's color correction abilities are but a subset of what FirstLight does. It's a bit of a CineForm operations console for the decoder engine itself. The ability to control on screen diagnostics, timecode/framecode, RAW demosaic methods, stereo (3D) parameters, etc. make color correction a subset (though a significant subset) of the full package of capabilities in the application.

I use a couple applications for CC, and for role-specific potency and simplicity, I still appreciate the SpeedGrade interface, and for budget-conscious functionality, Colorista is very impressive for general-application (any format) use, and FirstLight integrates about as comprehensive a collection of primary color correction capabilities as you can get outside of a dedicated premium color correction application.

I suspect CineForm's quandary is whether or not they want to put yet another full-blown color correction app on the market, which would take some resources to develop and deploy when as a metadata manipulation application, there are so many areas that could be expanded upon. For my view, a visual frame queue for clip-to-clip comparison is a high priority for FL in context of my workflow...probably higher than secondaries.

I really like FirstLight (disclaimer:I wrote the most recent manual for FirstLight), but I like other tools as well, all for different reasons. If (or when?) we get secondaries in FirstLight...I'll probably be the first requesting "power window" masking.

We're never satisfied, are we? :-)

John Reeve March 28th, 2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Lovell (Post 1629012)

I like it Justin! Nice work.

Mark Deeble March 29th, 2011 02:02 AM

Tim

Congratulations on that manual - I found it clear, concise and informative. It made me want to read it, and I have not said that about a manual before! :)