DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   chopping CF video quickly - which prg is best/fastest/easiest? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/493427-chopping-cf-video-quickly-prg-best-fastest-easiest.html)

Stephen Armour March 22nd, 2011 08:19 AM

chopping CF video quickly - which prg is best/fastest/easiest?

We're needing a faster way to pre-crop CF material captured with our Intensity Pro.

We can re-output crops using several programs we already have (VD, TMPGNec [using CF with AVI outs], etc)....but my question is, isn't there a faster, better way? I know there are lots of AVI splitter progs out there ($$), but are there some that would be much better for just this type of simple operation?

Sure would be nice if CF included a quick and easy chop prog, but I suppose it's not that easy. It's easy to do with our EX1R stuff (before conversion), but the Intensity Pro captures are taking way too much time to chop down.

Any suggestions for something that's not overkill for this?

(btw, VD is really pretty good at this, but it just seems there's got to be a better, faster way...)

David Newman March 22nd, 2011 10:13 AM

Re: chopping CF video quickly - which prg is best/fastest/easiest?

VirtualDub is pretty fast, that is what I use.

Carlo Macchiavello March 22nd, 2011 10:30 AM

me too use virtual dub to split cineform file,
and with a tool called rewrap i build a unique id for firstlight work.

rewrap is in cineform tools and by a simple batch file you can do easely and fast the rewrap with unique ID
the line is something like that
"C:\Program Files (x86)\CineForm\Tools\rewrap.exe" d:\test04.avi d:\test04b.avi -n

Stephen Armour March 22nd, 2011 10:33 AM

Yeah, I guess that's the bottom line. We'll just stick with VD since it's a known good performer (and keeps our CF metadata too!). Work flow really not bad after we tweaked things better!

Here's our settings:

Video options "compressor" set to Cineform x64 codec
Threadings (video compression) set to "1" with max threads set to 4 (for our quad)
Enable Direct Stream copy for video and audio
Set in and out points to keyframes (previous or next keyframe buttons)
Performance settings all the way up
Save as AVI

If we missed something let me know. We're getting 35 frames a sec thruput on an old quad (Win 7x64)

Guess we can't beat it. No sense complaining over a good free lunch...

Now if you could just somehow integrate it with FL...we'd chop and do all the rest using FL :)

Stephen Armour March 23rd, 2011 06:44 AM

At times we're getting up to 120 f/s (4X realtime) thru-put on some longer clips with VirtualDub, so the proper settings paid off. That's on an old quad under Win 7 x64 (GA-x48-DQ6 mb). Hven't tried it on the other two.

Must be very fast on newer systems. Nice.