DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   HDLink Crashes in relation to high CPU temperatures (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/495992-hdlink-crashes-relation-high-cpu-temperatures.html)

Craig Irving May 16th, 2011 05:24 PM

HDLink Crashes in relation to high CPU temperatures

1 Attachment(s)
I know this could be a hardware issue and nothing to do with Cineform, but my CPU runs an average of 41 degrees celcius when it is idle (not doing anything in Windows).

When I'm in Premiere Pro playing footage it rises to approximately 61 degrees celcius. But particularly when I'm converting clips in HDLink my CPU rises to 91/95/97 etc. Eventually it just crashes.

I thought it was my fault, so I cleaned it and re-applied some new thermal paste and re-seated my HSF. Still, same problems. I wish I understood hardware more, so I would know how to fix this.

Could this possibly be a glitch though? I'm trying other programs and they don't seem to run anywhere near as high.

David Newman May 16th, 2011 05:31 PM

Re: HDLink Crashes in relation to high CPU temperatures

Sound like we need to write less efficient code. ;) Your system should be able to run 100% CPU saturation sustained, your fans should be at full speed.

John Cline May 16th, 2011 08:42 PM

You need a better HSF, 97c is VERY hot for a CPU even running at 100%. Are you running the stock circular Intel HSF? Also, the fan is only running at 1900 rpm while the CPU is about to burst into flames. This isn't right.

Craig Irving May 17th, 2011 08:20 AM

Thanks John,

I am using the stock Intel HSF that came with my i2500k+ chip. I guess I'll need to bring it into a computer store. Building your own computer seems to have gotten more complicated over the years, I feel dumb.

Craig Irving May 18th, 2011 08:48 AM

So I did have a big problem. I rebuilt my computer in a new case with a new HSF and now my temperatures are stable and cool. My idle CPU temperature is 29 degrees now, and when Cineform is converting footage it only goes as high as 46.

But HDLink has still been crashing a lot. There's never an error message in the log, it just crashes the application. Doesn't really help me to debug the problem. There is plenty of free space on the drive I'm converting my footage on/to, and I am running the latest build of HDLink.

Finally, all material is HDV and was captured using HDLink, I am trying to batch convert over a hundred clips and crashing seems to happen randomly. Never the same point/file.

Any tips? Possibly a bug or still a system issue?

Thanks

Craig Irving May 18th, 2011 10:03 AM

Re-installed Cineform as Administrator and it seems to have fixed the problem.

I know it would increase install time but is there a way you could add a "Verify Installation" to the Installer? Cause there's a lot of components and dependencies and those command windows disappear quickly to read.

Craig Irving May 18th, 2011 10:55 AM

Well I just got one error reported.
Got EC_ERRORABORT notification 0x80040228

Not that I have something specific I'll file a trouble ticket with support, I guess.

Craig Irving May 20th, 2011 09:42 AM

I wish my topic name didn't suggest temperature, because my problems have nothing to do with that anymore. It's also not the footage, because I have re-created the same problem with DSLR footage now.

No one has problems with HD Link when batch converting clips? It's also not the clip, because when I re-launch HD Link and try the file again it works. So it's an intermittent crash, and there is no error message in the log.