DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Asus motherboard Intermittent Crashes (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/53052-asus-motherboard-intermittent-crashes.html)

Daniel Rudd October 19th, 2005 08:04 PM

Asus motherboard Intermittent Crashes

We got our system set up. I worked it hard last night. Very pleased with it's spead. I don't have an HD display setup yet so I was unable to output anything and view the quality.

We are experiencign some intermittent crashes. It's happened while scrubbing the timeline, capturing footage, and once while applying an effect.

But I've had it work on some very complex things, while running other programs in the background, but I have not been able to re-create the crashes.

I have only a basic understanding of computers so I had my tech guy send me the specs of our system. He's submitted a trouble ticket to cineform because we're told they have very sharp tech support. However, he is suspecting that the Asus motherboard and/or the raid driver is at the heart of the problem.

So I thought I'd check and see if anyone else is running a similar system.

Thanks, Daniel

Asus P5ND-SLI2 Deluxe Motherboard

Pentium D 830 3.0ghz (2mb cache)

OCZ 1024 DDR2 667Mhz Ram

1 Maxtor 250gb SATA hard drive as a system drive on SATA 1

2 Maxtor 300gb SATA hard drives in a RAID 0 configuration on SATA 2 and 3

Windows XP Pro

System only started to have problems after RAID was setup.

Pete Bauer October 19th, 2005 08:43 PM

Daniel,

Lots of possibilities of course, and my ASUS motherboard (P4C800 Deluxe) is a couple years old now. But I got a lot of BSOD with "Bad Pool Call" and other similar messages when I first built my editing box. After futzing around a while, I figured out that the default memory timings in the BIOS were a bit aggressive. I manually set them to what the RAM manufacturer's specs for the sticks were, and suddenly all was well.

Certainly possible that RAID or any number of software driver conflicts could be the culprit, too. But it is quick and simple to check your BIOS memory settings vs the RAM specs, so I'd say at least give it a look.

As will many others who will read this thread, I'll probably build a new one in the next 6-12 months so please share if you do learn the cause!

Daniel Rudd October 19th, 2005 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Bauer
Daniel,

As will many others who will read this thread, I'll probably build a new one in the next 6-12 months so please share if you do learn the cause!

Thanks for the quick response Pete. I will definitely pass along what I learn. Better yet, I'll ask my tech guy to write up his observations too.

Daniel Rudd October 20th, 2005 08:22 PM

So we're still looking into the problem. But in case we are going to have to get a new motherboard, is anybody else running a system with a pentium dual core 830 3.0 processor?

If so, what mother board are you using, and do you like it?