DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Exporting to Cineform AVI from After Effects (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/59002-exporting-cineform-avi-after-effects.html)

Matt Vanecek January 24th, 2006 09:13 AM

Exporting to Cineform AVI from After Effects

Ok, first thing I did was follow the instructions in the AspectHD 4.0 user manual, just to get that out of the way, for exporting from AE.

I was running a test of the trial AspectHD 4.0, and testing the export from After Effects 6.5.1 (since that's where my color correction happens, and possibly deinterlace as well).

I have AE 6.5.1 Standard. I captured HDV from my camcorder, 1080/60i, using PPro 1.5.1/AHD 4.0 trial. I imported the resulting clip into AE 6.5.1, did an interpret footage with Separate Fields turned off, applied a reduce flicker filter, and exported. For the render settings, I followed the manual step-by-step, did not tweak anything beyond that (Cineform AVI, choose stretch, change res to 1440x108 w/lock aspect ratio turned off).

When I open the resulting video in WMP 10 (1 hour later, for a 13 second clip--isn't that a bit long on AMD 64 X2 4200 w/2G memory?), the video was smaller than the original--it was not playing at 16x9. At least, neither PPro nor WMP interpreted it as widescreen--it looked shorter and narrower than the original video. The original video played at full widescreen.

So what am I doing wrong? I fully expect the original video and the rendered video to be the same resolution. How can I achieve that from After Effects 6.5.1 Standard using the Cineform AVI settings?

Thanks,
Matt

Michael Stewart January 24th, 2006 10:22 AM

Hi Matt what are you trying to do exactly? meaning your final output to be? is it encoded to windows media? Not sure what you are trying to get to.

Mike

Matt Vanecek January 24th, 2006 10:33 AM

Michael,
I'm expecting the final output from AE to be Cineform AVI, which is what I chose for the output format. When I play the original capture file and the rendered file, I expect the resolution on the two files to be the same, but it does not appear that the resolutions are the same. The rendered Cineform AVI file takes up less screenspace when played in a media player (WMP, haven't tried QT), and is a little squashed side-to-side, when compared to the original Cineform AVI intermediate file captured from my camera.

I followed the user manual for AHD 4.0 step-by-step without deviation, for exporting from After Effects. Effects applied: I did interpret footage--perhaps that did something. Maybe I did not interpret footage correctly (I selected Off for Separate Fields, but that was all I changed in that dialog), and I applied a Reduce Interlace Flicker effect. I wouldn't think those would have an effect on the output resolution, which should be controlled by the render. Which, to set up, I followed the user manual step-by-step without deviation (I left my creativity at the door, just for this test, so I have not tried other render settings combinations yet and cannot until this evening).

Thanks,
Matt

Michael Stewart January 24th, 2006 10:47 AM

If you are doing color correction, I guess here is how I do it

1. open AE
2. import your cineform avi
3. I just drag the file down to the comp icon and then everything is set for me, resolution and fields, I always keep it at upper (if you check your comp settings, notice under presets there is no cineform? but under aspect ratio there is. The easiest way for me and fastest is to just drag the clip onto the comp icon and it sets it all. Once you do that, open your comp settings, across from the preset drop box is a floppy disk icon, just make a preset of these settings and name it whatever you want. You need to stay in upper field on the whole flow of this thing
4. color correct it or whatever
5. add to render queue (make sure you choose "upper" in fields box under "render settings" (I made a preset of this also)
6. Choose cineform codec (make another preset)
7. Then render! render times will be a lot faster this route

I make presets of evry plugin that has different setups, for instance Twixtor and some others it is very handy and simple

Hope this is what you are looking for, works for me

Mike

Michael Stewart January 24th, 2006 10:51 AM

Hey Matt another tip, if you have problems with the render, instead of using the Cineform AVI, Change it to "Windows AVI" and then choose the Cineform (not Cineon :) ) codec, that cured some problematic renders for me previously.

Mike

Matt Vanecek January 24th, 2006 10:29 PM

Michael,
Thanks for the tips! The export seems to work much better now. :)

One day closer to shelling out the bux for this thing...

Matt

Michael Stewart January 24th, 2006 11:12 PM

It doesn't get any better my friend! You'll love it!

Mike