nanoFlash Details at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old June 5th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #1
Convergent Design

nanoFlash Details

We should have the 3-D views of nanoFlash and the preliminary spec sheet on our website next week. But, I wanted to give you some of the major highlights for your review and comment, as we are going into PCB layout and cabinet design next week.

nanoFlash Highlights
1) Build on Flash XDR technology
2) Two Compact Flash Slots, which can be configured in RAID1 for redundant recording
3) Eight Channels of 16/24-bit Embedded Audio, embedded time-code
4) Same Sony MPEG2 CODEC, same 4:2:2 profiles: 50/100 Mbps Long-GOP, 100/160 MBps I-Frame Only
5) 24p Pulldown removal, image flip
6) LTC Input (BNC) - jam sync to audio master TC generator
7) Trigger, Tally, Remote start switch control via 5-pin lockable Hirose connector
8) RS-232/RS-485 switchable 9-pin D-Sub connector
9) +5V power output tap to power HDMI <-> HD-SDI converters (nanoConnect, nanoView)
10) Detachable Plate for Camcorder Battery Mount
11) Reduced Size: 4.2 x 3.7 x 1.4" or less than 20% the overall volume of Flash XDR
12) 10W power, 6.5 to 20V DC input, via 6-pin lockable Hirose connector
13) MSRP = US $3495, Delivery = 1-Sep-08

The target applications for nanoFlash are HD-SDI cameras with embedded audio and time code as well as POV cameras which utilize a separate audio capture device.

We do plan to publish the complete remote control / status command protocol for nanoFlash and Flash XDR, so users can create their own PC based applications, such as video assist. You will be able to control multiple boxes by creating an RS-485 (twisted pair) network. Additionally, you may be able to use wireless USB to RS-232 devices, but none have been tested.

So compared to Flash XDR, you have a much smaller package and lower cost, but give up analog audio I/O, two Compact Flash slots and ultimately the ability to do uncompressed.
Old June 6th, 2008, 05:04 AM   #2
Major Player

Hello Mike,

Does it come with a hot/cold shoe mount as standard? 10W should be easy to power from the camera.

Would be great for mounting on the EX3 instead of the PHU-60K harddisk.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 05:28 AM   #3
New Boot

Hi Mike

"9) +5V power output tap to power HDMI <-> HD-SDI converters (nanoConnect, nanoView)"

In April you were saying that the nanoFlash had HDMI in. Here's a quote from you: "nanoFlash will have HDMI and HD-SDI inputs".

Have you now dropped the HDMI in? If so - that's a great shame. Tell me that point 9) is not correct and that HDMI conversion is built in. Pleeease ...

S
http://stefansargent.com
Stefan Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 05:09 PM   #4
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kroonder View Post
Hello Mike,

Does it come with a hot/cold shoe mount as standard? 10W should be easy to power from the camera.

Would be great for mounting on the EX3 instead of the PHU-60K harddisk.

George/
Hi George-
Great idea, let me do more research on this shoe mount, it certainly seems possible. Besides, you'll get a significant improvement in video quality over a hard-disk, which merely copies the native video quality from the camera.
Old June 7th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #5
Major Player

After calming down a bit I realize that 10W is way too much to draw from the Sony EX cameras... But it would still be nice to fit it easily on the cam.

George/
Old June 7th, 2008, 08:33 AM   #6
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kroonder View Post
After calming down a bit I realize that 10W is way too much to draw from the Sony EX cameras... But it would still be nice to fit it easily on the cam.

George/
Hi George-
We'll have a battery mount option similar to the PHU-60K harddrive. Interestingly, we'll actually have more capacity with two 32GB CF cards, than the 60GB hard-drive option.
Old June 7th, 2008, 08:43 AM   #7
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Sargent View Post
Hi Mike

"9) +5V power output tap to power HDMI <-> HD-SDI converters (nanoConnect, nanoView)"

In April you were saying that the nanoFlash had HDMI in. Here's a quote from you: "nanoFlash will have HDMI and HD-SDI inputs".

Have you now dropped the HDMI in? If so - that's a great shame. Tell me that point 9) is not correct and that HDMI conversion is built in. Pleeease ...

S
http://stefansargent.com
Hi Stefan-
We have an ultra-small (2"x2") version of our nanoConnect (HDMI to HD-SDI) converter coming soon. We are working on a very clean mounting system to the nanoFlash box, so they can be used as one unit. We have heard a number of requests for both HDMI to HD-SDI (for capture) as well as (HD-SDI to HDMI) for playabck. We could not accommodate both directions, so we are working out a mounting system for both our nanoConnect and nanoView boxes. I think you will be pleased with the end result.

We want to support HDMI cameras and will do our best to facilitate this application. I don't think the end result of nanoFlash + nanoConnect will be much bigger than if we had added the HDMI circuit inside the nanoFlash box.
Old June 7th, 2008, 10:19 AM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schell View Post
Hi Stefan-
We have an ultra-small (2"x2") version of our nanoConnect (HDMI to HD-SDI) converter coming soon.
Thanks Mike,

So the original spec of 4 x 4 x 2 is now 4.2 x 3.7 x 1.4 PLUS a 2 x 2 x ? box somehow attached to the other box - oh dear ... is that right?

I have your NAB press release framed on my wall. There, I've taken it off the wall. Another of my hopes and dreams crushed.

Will the new, just announced, mini-nanoConnect and the nanoFlash be released simultaneously? My framed copy of your PR release (now in the bin) says Q4 08.

Still a great step forward - can't wait. Needed it yesterday.
Old June 7th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
We'll have a battery mount option similar to the PHU-60K harddrive.
That sounds good Mike.

Quote:
Interestingly, we'll actually have more capacity with two 32GB CF cards, than the 60GB hard-drive option.
Well, a bit "apples and oranges" but capacity (however you define that) is just part of the equation.

I like that it will be a small dedicated device with lower cost CF cards bringing enhanced recording to platforms like the XDCAM EX.

However, this is definately an exciting year with a lot of planned releases for the next few months...

George/
Old June 9th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #10
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Sargent View Post
Thanks Mike,

So the original spec of 4 x 4 x 2 is now 4.2 x 3.7 x 1.4 PLUS a 2 x 2 x ? box somehow attached to the other box - oh dear ... is that right?

I have your NAB press release framed on my wall. There, I've taken it off the wall. Another of my hopes and dreams crushed.

Will the new, just announced, mini-nanoConnect and the nanoFlash be released simultaneously? My framed copy of your PR release (now in the bin) says Q4 08.

Still a great step forward - can't wait. Needed it yesterday.
Hi Stefan-
Yes, your understanding of the dimensions is correct. We didn't get the HDMI inside the nanoFlash, as we had hoped, but we moved up the release date by several months. Yes, the nanoFlash and the new mini-nanoConnect will be released simultaneously. I think it will be an very acceptable combination.
Old June 9th, 2008, 11:45 PM   #11
New Boot

Quote:
Yes, the nanoFlash and the new mini-nanoConnect will be released simultaneously.
Go on - give us a rough date - Aug, Sept, Oct?
thanks S
Old June 10th, 2008, 07:45 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Stephan, they did, September.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #13
Convergent Design

nanoFlash Front View

Here's a front view of nanoFlash, I will post the press release shortly.
Attached Thumbnails
nanoFlash Details-nanoflash.jpg  
Old June 14th, 2008, 01:16 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Thanks Mike for that.

There is a controversy in another thread about whether XDR or Nano FLASH will be able to start/stop recording with the TC increment, embedded in the EX1's SDI; somebody from Sony says they won't - please clarify
Old June 14th, 2008, 07:28 AM   #15
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Thanks Mike for that.

There is a controversy in another thread about whether XDR or Nano FLASH will be able to start/stop recording with the TC increment, embedded in the EX1's SDI; somebody from Sony says they won't - please clarify
Hi Piotr-
I made a post in the EX1 forum, but just for clarification, every camera I have tested will output an invalid timecode (all 1's) when operating in "live mode". Once the record button is pressed, the time code becomes valid and starts incrementing. That's our trigger to start recording.

We'll have an EX1 early next week and test this "feature" as well as overcrank/undercrank recording question.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey