DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Flash XDR and Canon 5D Mark II (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/135266-flash-xdr-canon-5d-mark-ii.html)

Victor Danell October 5th, 2008 12:18 PM

Flash XDR and Canon 5D Mark II

What do you think about this combination?

Is it possible to get a signal from the HDMI port without the need to record on camera?
When you record direct on the camera, you get some jelly-like effect. Will it have the same problem if you record on the Flash XDR?
Does anyone know any details of what infomation you get out of the camera? Is it possible to get a 4:2:2 1080p 100Mbit/s signal and record with the Flash XDR ? That would be totally awesome, and if it's possible I will get a Flash XDR and a 5D Mark II as soon as it gets out!

Bill Koehler October 5th, 2008 04:32 PM

I believe the "jelly like effect" you are referring to is a result of the rolling shutter built into the imaging sensor used in this DSLR. As it is a function of the sensor, alternate means of recording the video will neither bypass or eliminate this problem.

Nothing against FlashXDR, but I think you will have simply doubled up on how to record very high quality video from this camera. The ~47 Mbps AVCHD that Canon has built into this camera should be roughly equivalent to ~68 Mbps MPEG2. Will you be able to tell the difference? Your wallet sure will :-(

Victor Danell October 7th, 2008 01:25 AM

So you don't think the result is going to be any better then without the XDR?

Can someone please explain how the rolling shutter works and how it's making the jelly effect?

Henry Olonga October 25th, 2008 04:33 AM

Care

The "jelly like effect" is an issue but......watch this..

October 19, 2008 on Vimeo Download the full HD sample and prepare to be blown away.

If treated with care the footage will exceed much more expensive rigs - easily.Look at what was achieved here with just the built in camera codec.Now imagine what it would be like recorded to nanoflash/XDR......

H

Bill Sepaniak October 25th, 2008 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Danell (Post 947178)
What do you think about this combination?

Is it possible to get a signal from the HDMI port without the need to record on camera? ... Is it possible to get a 4:2:2 1080p 100Mbit/s signal and record with the Flash XDR ? That would be totally awesome, and if it's possible I will get a Flash XDR and a 5D Mark II as soon as it gets out!

It doesn't look like it. On page 124 of the owner's manual it states, "If you connect the camera to a TV set with the HDMI cable (p. 140) and display the Live View image while shooting a movie at (1920 x 1080), the image displayed on the TV set will be small. However, the movie itself will be recorded in the (1920 x 1080) size as set."

Henry Olonga October 25th, 2008 08:24 AM

Predictable

Gee that sucks not outputting Full HD from the HDMI port live.Seems like deliberate crippling once again.30p only and now this.Making me re-consider my order - but I do have to say that with my collection of Nikon AI lenses ( Can be used on Canon EOS with an Adaptor ) and Canon lenses this camera still looks sweet.DOF adaptors are good and I have the letus mini but the images coming out of this baby are wonderful.On the other hand it may lead us to the obvious question - what next from Canon?If they are crippling this version perhaps then there must be an uncrippled version on the horizon.....for more money of course
H

Wade John December 11th, 2008 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Sepaniak (Post 955414)
It doesn't look like it. On page 124 of the owner's manual it states, "If you connect the camera to a TV set with the HDMI cable (p. 140) and display the Live View image while shooting a movie at (1920 x 1080), the image displayed on the TV set will be small. However, the movie itself will be recorded in the (1920 x 1080) size as set."

Would full output be possible with a hack?

Tim Polster December 11th, 2008 09:14 AM

The short video has a lot of detail in the image.

But I have to wonder, outside of the better ISO shooting, is this that far away from the other HD cameras on the market.

Thinking of Phil Bloom's EX-1 footage I have seen on the net.

I just don't know if it is worth all of the tinkering jumping the hurdles the camera has built into it.

And not being able to output to the XDR is a big minus as well.